Making amends

Goodbye, Hello

Tiffany didn't feel like going out the next day. Even though it was a beautiful Sunday, one of those days that she would have enjoyed to go outdoors, she didn't feel likewise today. Lying in the bed, she watched her two friends preparing themselves to go out.

"Are you sure you don't want to join us?" Nicole asked as Tiffany shook her head.

"You're not afraid that we'll be clinging on to Taeyeon-unnie just like yesterday?" Bora tried her luck but Tiffany continued to shake her head.

After what happened last night, Bora and Nicole decided not to force Tiffany against her own will. They understood her reason for not joining them.

"At least, order some breakfast. You didn't eat dinner last night too." Bora added on, showing a worried face.

"I will. Maybe later on. Don't worry and just enjoy yourselves later, okay." Tiffany smiled at them and stretched her hands to hug the pillow that was beside her.

An hour later, Tiffany waved her hands at her friends as they walked out of the room. The moment the door closed, Tiffany slumped back onto the bed. It was only 10am but she felt so tired as if she had spent half the day away. She was about to doze off 10mins later when she heard the doorbell rang. Thinking that it might be one of the girls who had forgotten something, Tiffany opened the door without looking through the peephole. She was shocked when she saw a tall guy, wearing a smart uniform with the hotel name attached to his name tag, standing in front of her door.

"Good morning, Madam. Room service."

The guy smiled at her as Tiffany subconsciously stood to the side, allowing him to push in the trolley that he had brought along. He removed the cover and took out a tray before placing it on the edge of the bed.

"Enjoy your breakfast in bed, Madam."

The guy smiled again and was about to leave the room when Tiffany snapped out from her daze.

"Excuse me, I'm sorry but I didn't call for a room service. I think you've got the wrong room." Tiffany smiled apologetically, feeling guilty for not informing the guy much earlier.

"Wrong room? Are you sure? Because I'm confident that I've got the right room." The guy frowned as he took out a piece of paper from his pocket. "It's for room 801, for a Ms Tiffany Hwang."

The moment the guy looked up, Tiffany nodded her head to which he smiled again and excused himself. After the door was closed, Tiffany walked over to the bed where she saw the tray of food. She didn't realised that she was actually feeling hungry until she saw what's on it. Her stomach started to growl as if it was begging her to start eating.

bf7047992064484c0be59ed7785992dc.jpg

"Breakfast in bed? Is this from the two girls?" Tiffany frowned and was about to grab her phone from the side table to call Bora and enquire about it when she saw a pink note neatly tucked at the side of the tray. She took the paper and saw the familiar handwriting that she would always recognised even after all these years.

'Ppany-ah, don't skip meals even if you're angry at me. American breakfast - your favourite.'

"Stupid, Kim Taeyeon." Tiffany mumbled before breaking out slowly into a smile.

After finishing the breakfast, Tiffany was feeling so full that she decided to take a shower and freshened up. It was almost noon by the time she had changed into a set of casual clothings. Just when she was about to grab the remote control for the TV, the doorbell rang again. This time round, Tiffany made sure that she looked through the peephole first before opening the door. Seeing a petite lady standing in front of the door, Tiffany recognised the uniform that the lady was wearing as the receptionist of the hotel.

"Yes?" Tiffany asked politely the moment she opened her hotel room door.

"Ms Tiffany Hwang?" The lady asked to which Tiffany nodded her head. "Sorry to interrupt your rest but I have a delivery for you."

From behind her back, she held out a stalk of white tulip and two small envelope, one pink and one blue. Tiffany received both items while still being confused as the lady excused herself after telling Tiffany to enjoy her day.

Walking towards the couch to take a seat, Tiffany looked at both envelopes and saw that the pink one had the words 'open me first' on it. It was the same handwriting as the pink note earlier so Tiffany knew who it was from.

'I hope you had enjoyed your breakfast. This white tulip has a special meaning to it. Google for the meaning. Once you've found it, open the blue envelope only when you've agreed to the meaning.'

She placed the flower on the coffee table and took her phone to google for the meaning of white tulip.

"... to send a message of forgiveness." Tiffany arched her eyebrow once she had finished reading. "So she's asking for forgiveness?"

Tiffany stared at the blue envelope as she hesitated. She remembered the incident last night, causing her to sigh. Last night event went through her mind and she came to realise that there was a slight change in Taeyeon's behaviour. The fact that she had actually shown Tiffany the scar and even told Tiffany about the accident, it was something that the old Taeyeon would not have done. The old Taeyeon would most probably kept it a secret until she accidentally found out about it. Tiffany suddenly remembered Hyoyeon's words.

"Taeng-unnie has changed. I believe that she will tell you everything if you ask her."

Grabbing the blue envelope, Tiffany took a deep breathe before she tore it open.

'Would you like to spend the day with a lonely soul who is waiting for you at the hotel lobby right now?"

Tiffany stared at the card for some time before her eyebrow arched a little. 'Hotel lobby? I thought she's suppose to be driving Bora and Nicole around today. How can she be at the lobby right now?' That was the thought that appeared in her mind as Tiffany decided to drop Bora a message, asking her about Taeyeon.

To Bora:

Hey... Can I ask you something? Is Taeyeon with you girls?

From Bora:

Taeyeon-unnie? We're not with her. Hyoyeon is the one driving us around today. She said that Taeyeon-unnie has got something important to handle. Wae-yo?

************************

Taeyeon looked at her watch nervously. It's been an hour since she had handed the white tulip to the receptionist to pass it to Tiffany. Biting her fingers, her eyes kept shifting from her phone to the hotel lift.

"What if she doesn't come down? Was I being too cheesy today?" Taeyeon mumbled to herself as she sighed and leaned back to the couch in the hotel lobby. "Should I just go up instead?"

While Taeyeon was busy conversing with herself, her eyes turned to look at the lift, as if on instinct. A smile appeared on her face as she saw Tiffany walking out from it.

dfb7dfa713529f422c4a4c930f73c313.jpg

Tiffany must have seen Taeyeon from a distance as she smiled a little and walked towards the girl. In her mind, Tiffany was wondering about how someone who used to be so cute and nerdy could turn into someone so hot and charming.

(Left: Taeyeon during high school, Right: Taeyeon now)

Taeyeon-vira-ananda-i_elf_and_sone-34235  SNSD-Taeyeon-airport-fashion-September-2

Seeing Tiffany walking towards her, Taeyeon stood up and started walking to close the gap betwen them. Within 5 minutes the two girls were already standing in front of each other, smiling awkwardly.

"Hi." Coincidentally, both girls greeted each other at the same time as they giggled at their own reactions.

"Thanks. For coming down." Taeyeon said sincerely as she bowed a little.

"This doesn't mean I forgive you though." Tiffany replied as she almost laughed when she saw the shock in Taeyeon's eyes. "I just felt that I should give you a chance to make amends."

Taeyeon nodded her head eagerly as she looked at her watch. "Shall we go for lunch first?"

"I'm still full from the breakfast that you had ordered for me. Can we skip lunch instead?" Tiffany replied. "But before that, since what time were you here?"

"Around 9.30am and I'm really hungry right now. I only had a sandwich for breakfast. Maybe you can order some desserts while I have my lunch. Will that be okay with you?" Taeyeon suggested and it was Tiffany's turn to be shocked. "What's wrong?"

"I was actually expecting you to just agree with my idea earlier. I was surprised when you expressed yourself honestly and even asked for my opinion." Tiffany explained.

"Well, if I didn't tell you the truth, you will end up asking me if I had breakfast already. And if I replied that I only had sandwich, you're going to be upset with me sooner or later." Taeyeon said with a straight face. "So to avoid that from happening, I might as well be truthful."

Tiffany couldn't hide her smile when Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders and gave a cute expression. The two of them then walked to Taeyeon's car and after both of them were already seated comfortably, Taeyeon drove off.

"I realised that both of us are wearing something similar again." Taeyeon broke the silence as Tiffany looked at her with a blank expression. "Scarves?"

Tiffany looked at Taeyeon's attire and then to herself. "Is there going to be a problem with that similarity?"

Taeyeon smiled and shook her head. Silence took over the atmosphere again until Tiffany voiced out her thoughts.

"You said that you've never allowed anyone in your car before. But this is already my 2nd time in here. Are you sure I'm the first one to ride it with you?" Tiffany said as she turned her body slightly to observe Taeyeon's reaction but the girl just nodded her head. "What about your girlfriend?"

Tiffany noticed the frown in Taeyeon's expression and the way she had tightened her grip on the steering wheel. Taeyeon's reaction suddenly made Tiffany felt conscious for asking as she thought that she had stepped over the privacy border.

"I'm sorry if my question...." Tiffany couldn't complete her sentence when Taeyeon cut her off.

"We've arrived. Let's eat first before we continue our conversation." The firm tone of voice from Taeyeon made Tiffany agreed to it quickly.

************************

"I didn't get into another relationship ever since I broke up with you." Taeyeon said as she placed down her spoon, once she had finished her kimchi fried rice.

They had arrived at a cafe to have their lunch about 45 minutes ago. While Taeyeon ordered a plate of kimchi fried rice, Tiffany ordered a slice of strawberry cheesecake. Lunch was mostly in silence as Taeyeon tried her best to finished up her food quickly while having small talks with Tiffany about her life in Japan.

Taeyeon's confession drew some relief in Tiffany even though she tried to hide it in by merely nodding her head.

"What about you? Found someone better than me?" Taeyeon tried to sound as if she was joking but Tiffany saw through her bluff.

"Well, there's a few good-looking ones who tried to get close to me." Tiffany decided to tease Taeyeon instead as she chuckled when she saw Taeyeon pouting. "But I'm like you too. Still single since you..."

Tiffany didn't want to say it out loud as she just pointed to Taeyeon and to herself. Taeyeon understood her actions as she nodded her head, a guilty look appeared on her face soon.

"Do you think it's too late for me to ask for your forgiveness?" Taeyeon asked as she plucked her courage to look at Tiffany straight in the eye.

"What do you want me to forgive you for, Taeyeon?" Tiffany maintained her eye contact with Taeyeon. "For breaking up with me? For leaving me without saying anything? Or for not keeping your promises to me?"

Taeyeon sighed as memories of her own words came flooding into her mind.

"I'll never walk away from you neither will I ever leave you."

"I want to keep hearing your laughter and keep looking at your eye-smile so I promise you Ppany-ah, I'll worked hard to always give you the happiness that you wish for."

"I want to apologise for everything." Taeyeon took a deep breathe before she continued talking. "For hurting you. For keeping things to myself. For not talking things out with you. For assuming that everything I did was for your own good when it's not. For breaking my promise. For being selfish. For being an idiot. For being jealous. For...."

Tiffany placed her right hand on Taeyeon's hands which was clenched tightly on the table. "Stop, Taetae. That's... enough."

Taeyeon's lips trembled when she heard Tiffany calling her by her nickname. Soon, tears started flowing as Taeyeon quickly tried to wipe it away. Tiffany herself was shocked when she saw Taeyeon crying because the Taeyeon that she knew would always try her best to act tough in front of her. Seeing how the girl was now crying in front of her, Tiffany quickly stood up and sat beside her. Giving Taeyeon a hug and patting her back softly, a frown appeared on Tiffany's face as she was unsure on what to say or how to console the crying girl.

"I'm sorry, Ppany-ah. I really regret my decision to break-up with you. What was worse is that I was so afraid that you've already hated me that I couldn't find the courage to look for you. I was scared that you'll push me away and reject me. I couldn't face that scenario. I couldn't bear to see the hatred in your eyes." Taeyeon admitted her fears.

"Hatred? What makes you think that I'll hate you?" Tiffany asked as Taeyeon slowly calmed down.

"I don't know. The thought just came naturally to me, especially after what I had put you through. But when I saw you at the airport, I couldn't see any sign of hatred and it made me felt more guilty. You've got such a pure heart that you can't even hate someone who had hurt you so bad." Taeyeon expressed her feelings.

"Never had I imagined that you'll actually come out to tell me about your fears." Tiffany replied softly as she distanced herself from Taeyeon and wiped the tears away with her thumbs. "When you apologise earlier, it seems that you've realised what were your mistakes. But I've to admit that I myself have got my faults too. I neglected you and wasn't considerate towards your feelings."

"Seems like there was a lot of problem with our relationship before." Taeyeon said with a straight face before she turned to look at Tiffany.

"But there was more good memories than the bad ones if you were to ask me." Tiffany replied before the two of them broke into a smile and soon they were giggling with each other.

"Remember the time when your towel dropped in front of me, just because I lied to you that there was a bug on your towel." Taeyeon grinned as Tiffany slapped her shoulder.

"Yah!! Don't remind me of that. Luckily I was wearing my lingerie under it. But it was funnier when your nose started to bleed." Tiffany replied to which Taeyeon pouted before laughing out loud like an ahjumma. "And remember when we went out together with YulSic and SooSun to eat at a buffet restaurant. My skirt zipper burst, even before we started eating."

"The girls started teasing you by calling you a pink pig." Taeyeon giggled. "I remembered how flustered you were."

"I really appreciate what you did for me that night. You removed your checkered shirt and tied it around my waist so that I can easily move around the buffet table while you spent the whole dinner time in a sleeveless t-shirt." Tiffany smiled sweetly as she reminisced about it. "Everyone was looking at you as if you were a weirdo since the restaurant was quite cold but you had your poker face on the whole time. I know it was uncomfortable for you that night."

"I don't want others to stare at your ." Taeyeon replied with a smirk, causing Tiffany to slap her shoulders again. "You were lucky that I had my sleeveless t-shirt inside. Since that day, I've always brought along a mini sewing kit with me."

Taeyeon rummaged through her bag which was beside her and took out a blue box.

HG-0628-Gallery.jpg

"Can you even sew, Kim Taeyeon?" Tiffany asked with a teasing tone to which Taeyeon shook her head before laughing her heads off again. "As I had expected."

Laughter erupted again before they stopped to look at each other. Realising how close they were and the fact that their hands were entwined with one another, the two of them suddenly became awkward again. Tiffany quickly released her hand before taking a seat on the opposite side like how it was when they had entered the cafe earlier.

"Sorry about that. I must have made you feel a little uncomfortable." Taeyeon quickly said as Tiffany shook her head.

"I wasn't uncomfortable." Tiffany smiled assuringly. "Isn't this how we used to sit back then when we were still together? You told me that you...."

"I want to be able to see your smile and watch you laugh every time we are together. So sit in front of me instead of beside me whenever we have a table between us." Taeyeon finished up the remaining sentence from Tiffany as she remembered very well the words that she had said before.

"You remembered. Every single word that you said." Tiffany smiled as Taeyeon nodded her head.

Taeyeon was about to say something when her phone started beeping. Looking at her phone, Taeyeon had a frown initially before she started laughing as she showed Tiffany the groupchat messages.

ShikshinSoo: Midget!! Don't forget our dinner plans tomorrow. Dress well. You need to impress Fany tomorrow.

KkabYul: That's right. This is your only chance to explain everything to her and try to win her heart back.

ShikshinSoo: Taengoo, hwaiting!!

KkabYul: Hwaiting!!

"They didn't know that you've met me?" Tiffany asked as she had a confused look.

"Anniyo.." Taeyeon replied with a dorky grin as she scratched the back of her neck. "I had forgotten to inform them except for Hyo."