Pride and Regret

Goodbye, Hello

Taeyeon was busy looking through the documents when the phone on her table rang. Flipping through the papers frantically to look for her phone, she finally managed to find it before the call ended.

"Hello?"

"Kim Taeyeon, are you in your office?" Sunny's voice was firm and commanding.

"Yes, Boss. Where else would I be?" Taeyeon answered sarcastically but Sunny laughed at the other end, causing Taeyeon to roll her eyes.

"Good. Meet me at the studio in 10mins time."

Before Taeyeon could even ask the reason for that, the click sound informed her that Sunny had hung up the phone. Taeyeon looked at the mess on her table before looking back at the phone in her hand. Taking a deep breath, she sighed as she placed the phone down and stood up.

'This better be good. I'm not in the mood to move around so much today.'

Those thoughts appeared on Taeyeon's mind as she closed her office door and walked towards the lift to proceed to the studio as instructed by Sunny. Glancing at her watch, she noticed that it was only 9am and that was when she saw the date. As she stared at her watch, the sound of the lift arriving snapped her out.

"Hi, Andy. Where's Sunny?" Taeyeon asked the moment she walked into the recording studio, 5mins later.

The only person in the room was Andy who was one of the composers in the company. Taeyeon had worked with him before on some of the ballad songs released by the company.

"She should be on her way down. Before that, help me to listen to this music track." Andy handed her a set of headphones as Taeyeon placed it on her head and started to listen to the music that Andy was playing for her.

Taeyeon was so focused in listening to the song that she didn't noticed Sunny entering the room. As Sunny sat at the couch that was behind Taeyeon and Andy, she noticed that Taeyeon had her eyes closed, her head nodding to the beat of the music while her fingers were drumming the table. She didn't disturb them until she saw Taeyeon removing the headphones.

"How was it?" Sunny smiled at Taeyeon's shocked expression as she almost fall off the chair.

"Yah! Since when did you arrive?" Taeyeon asked as she placed her right hand over her beating heart. "I almost got a heart attack."

"Since when were you easily scared?" Sunny teased as she noticed that Taeyeon was about to say something before she closed and turned to look at Andy.

"The music track is good. Very catchy and fast-tempo. Who's going to write the lyrics for it?" Taeyeon asked as Andy shrugged his shoulders.

"I'm not sure. Sunny has not made her choice about that. We've got about 6months left since Sunny wanted the song to be ready by autumn." Andy explained as Taeyeon nodded her head.

"Autumn? I don't think the song suits that season. It's more of a summer kind of song. Autumn is more for a heartbreaking kind of music but then we can always try to use that music with sad or emotional lyrics." Taeyeon said as she saw Sunny smiling and pointing at her. "Wae? Did I say something wrong?"

"You.. are going to write the lyrics for this song." Sunny said as Taeyeon frowned. "I like how you are able to come out with unique ideas."

"Me? Wae? We have a lot of lyricists in our company. Furthermore, I've got a lot of projects on hand." Taeyeon tried to get away from it.

"You're one of our best lyricists, Taeng. Furthermore, this song will be a challenge for you since it's the first time that you're going to write for a fast tempo track compared to your usual soapy ballad kind of music." Sunny said with a smirk.

Taeyeon folded her arms and stared at the ceiling. She hasn't been having inspirations lately but she had always love a challenge especially when it comes to music.

"I'll take your silence as a yes. I believe Andy will be more then delighted with my decision. About your projects, I'll delegate some of it to Youngie so no worries." Sunny stood up just as Taeyeon was about to say something. "I believe in you, Taeyeon. I'll see you later, okay. Don't be late for the party."

************************

"Are you sure she's not going to be able to detect it?" Yuri looked at Sooyoung who has been smiling to herself for the past 10mins.

"Trust me, okay. I know what I'm doing." Sooyoung showed Yuri how she poured out almost half of the Coke from it's can and replaced it with beer. "We need to make sure that she drinks at least a can of beer before offering her these mixed drinks. In that way, she won't be able to detect the beer taste when she drinks the Coke."

"I'll leave all these to you then. I need to fetch Yoong and Seohyun from the airport. They should be arriving in an hours time." Yuri said as Sooyoung nodded her head before placing all the cans of drinks into her fridge.

4hrs later, almost everyone was already gathered at SooSun's place to celebrate Sooyoung's birthday. The only person missing was Taeyeon who seemed to have just left her office about 10mins ago. It was Sooyoung's plan to gather everyone before Taeyeon's arrival. She and Yuri had took the time to brief the girls about whatever information that they had gathered for the past few days.

"I've actually seek the help of a private investigator to help me to keep track of Fany-unnie's movement for the past few days." Yoona smiled as she took out a brown file from her bag. "He managed to hand this over to me at the airport earlier before my flight back to Seoul. It seems that her daily life cycle is almost similar to Taeng-unnie but not as bad. Fany-unnie still puts aside time to spend hanging out with her colleagues and also some others which we presumed are her friends."

"Is she attached?" Sooyoung quickly asked the question.

"From the reports that he gave me, it doesn't seem that Fany-unnie has someone special. These are some of the photos that he took when unnie was hanging out with her friends and colleagues." Yoona handed over a bunch of photos which Sunny and Jessica quickly grabbed.

As they looked through the photos, Jessica and Sunny kept smiling at each other until they stopped and frowned at a photo. Turning to look at Yuri and Sooyoung, they handed a photo over. When Yuri and Sooyoung saw the photo, both of them had the same reaction with their eyes widened in disbelief.

"What the hell is he doing there?" Sooyoung's voice sounded agitated.

"Don't tell me, they're together?" Yuri said as Yoona peeked over her sister-in-law's shoulder.

"Who are you talking about and what's with the anger?" Seohyun asked as Yoona grabbed the photo.

"Don't tell me this is Nicky?" Yoona said as SooSun and YulSica nodded their heads. "My P.I said that there was one of the days which Fany-unnie had went to the airport to fetch a guy who seemed to show a great interest in her. But my P.I said that Fany-unnie was being nonchalant towards him. She behaves as if he was a business partner."

"There's a possibility of that too. I heard that Nicky also owns a fashion company." Jessica replied while the rest just nodded their heads.

"From the photos, it seems that Fany-unnie doesn't really enjoyed his company. She doesn't show her eye-smile." Hyoyeon suddenly said as everyone was surprised as to when the photo had reached her hands. "Her famous eye-smile that I always see when she's with Taeng-unnie."

"By the way Hyo, did Taeyeon went home just like what she had promised you?" Sunny asked.

"She did. She went home a few days ago and stayed over for the night. As usual, she will pretend to be cheerful and talked a lot with our parents but mostly it was about work. Once our parents went in to bed, she sat down for a while and chatted with me. Asking me questions about what's happening in my life. When I started to ask about herself, she only smiled and patted my head before going into her room. 30mins later, while going up to my room, I stopped in front of Unnie's door when I heard sobbing sounds. Taking a peek inside. I saw her crying in her sleep while hugging the Totoro push-doll that Fany-unnie had given her during high school."

"She sounds so depressed." Seohyun commented as Hyoyeon nodded her head and sighed.

"Which is why we need to help her to get back the happiness that she deserve." Sooyoung said as she started to explain her plan to everyone.

************************

Taeyeon pressed the doorbell with her right hand as she held to Sooyoung's present with her left. While waiting for the door to open, she glanced at her watch. Realising that she's already 20mins late, she started knocking the door anxiously.

"Yah, what took you so long?" Sooyoung opened the door and smiled at Taeyeon.

"Mianhae. I got engrossed with work that I forgot the time. Anyway, happy birthday. This is for you." Taeyeon handed over the paperbag that she's been holding on since earlier. "Is everyone here already?"

"The only one missing is you." Sooyoung swing her hands over Taeyeon's shoulder and dragged her in where the rest of the girls were waiting.

Everyone was fussing about Taeyeon's late arrival and Sooyoung took the opportunity to shove a can of beer at her.

"Soo, you know I'm not good with alcohol. I still need to drive back later." Taeyeon tried to reject the offer.

"Just one can, Taeng. I'll give you Coke after this. I know 2 cans of beer is your limit." Sooyoung said earnestly.

"Take it as a punishment for being late." Yuri grinned as Taeyeon sighed before taking the drink from Sooyoung.

As they chatted and sang a birthday song, Taeyeon didn't realise that Sooyoung and Yuri had been giving her the Coke that had been mixed with beer. Everyone started to notice the change in Taeyeon's face color since she would turn red easily once she's drunk. 2hrs later, everyone was seated around the living room as their focus was all diverted to one person whose flushed face was a prove that she's on the verge of passing out.

"I.. I only wanted.. her to stop being close to Nicky." Taeyeon said in between her hiccups as she started to shake her head. "I was nervous that he would break his promise and... and.. showed the photo to Fany. That fake photo that he claimed he had."

Taeyeon had her fist clenched as she gritted her teeth. Earlier on, when Sooyoung and Yuri realised that Taeyeon was already drunk, they had used their wits to slowly change the direction of their conversations until they managed to ask the reason for TaeNy's breakup. 

"Did you have a lot of insecurities, Taeng?" Yuri asked as Taeyeon looked at her and chuckled to herself.

"If Sica.. If she was always the centre of attraction in campus... and.. and always surrounded by good-looking guys... how will you feel?" Taeyeon pointed a finger to Yuri who was taken aback at her question but before Yuri could answer her, Taeyeon raised her hand. "Especially if... other students kept saying that she and the other guy look good together?" .

"I.. I guess I will feel scared. Scared that I might lose her or scared that she'll have a change of heart." Yuri answered slowly as she turned to look at Jessica who was frowning.

"I didn't have to guess. I felt it. I was scared. But Fany thinks that I don't trust her. She thinks that I don't have faith in our relationship." Taeyeon had a sad smile on her face. 

"Why didn't you consult me or Yul before breaking up with Fany?" Sooyoung asked and was shocked when Taeyeon started to giggle by herself.

"The first few times when I told both of you about how I felt, remember what you said?" Taeyeon looked at Sooyoung and Yuri who had a blank expression on their faces. "You laughed and said that I was being childish. That I should be proud instead for having a so-called famous girlfriend in campus. I then realised that since both of your relationships are doing so well, there's a possibility that you might not understand my plight. I started to feel inferior around both of you and everyone else. I shut myself out."

Sooyoung and Yuri bite their lips and suppressed their tears as they felt sad for making Taeyeon feel that way without realising.

"I couldn't bring myself to tell both of you when Nicky started blackmailing me. I had so much pride in my relationship that I kept everything to myelf. I wanted to show that my relationship was doing well too." Taeyeon suddenly started to cry, causing everyone to panic. "Because of that pride, I lost her. I told her to choose between me or him. She didn't make her choice though and I took it that he meant something to her. Regrets are all I have right now."

"Do you still love her, Unnie?" Hyoyeon asked as she grabbed Taeyeon's hands and started to rub it.

"My love for her..." Taeyeon paused and looked around before she gave her most sincere smile. "Never change."

With that last sentence, Taeyeon passed out with her tear-stained face as the rest of the girls broke down too when they saw how broken Taeyeon was.