Friend or Enemy

Goodbye, Hello

"This is so fun." Taeyeon chuckled as Tiffany started taking photos of them being dorky inside the Disneyland Toy Store.

Tiffany kept laughing and giggling as she watched Taeyeon's antics. Ever since Taeyeon's surprise visit to her apartment on Wednesday night, she had been feeling light-hearted and couldn't stop herself from smiling. Yesterday, she thought of bringing Taeyeon around Tokyo but she was surprised again when Taeyeon showed her the reservations tickets for Tokyo SkyTree so they spent their time there and places around the area.

"Do you like Disneyland or SkyTree? Because I remembered you were saying that yesterday was fun too." Tiffany asked after they walked out from the store.

"It's fun because you're here with me. It's your presence that matters, not the place." Taeyeon replied sincerely as Tiffany blushed. "I'm hungry. Shall we go for dinner?"

"Don't tell me you've also planned the dinner for tonight?" Tiffany asked as Taeyeon nodded her head. "Yah, Kim Taeyeon. I'm suppose to be the one bringing you around Tokyo, not the other way round. I'm the one living in Tokyo, not you."

Looking at the pouting Tiffany, Taeyeon chuckled. "Ppany-ah, did you forget that I studied here before? Anyway, I've only made plans for Thursday and Friday so for tomorrow and Sunday, it's going to be up to you."

"Are you sure?" Tiffany arched her eyebrow at Taeyeon who nodded her head. "Fine. I'll wait for tomorrow then. So where are we going to have dinner then?"

"Can I drive you to the place instead?" Taeyeon asked as Tiffany agreed and handed over her car keys. "It's a cafe that I used to visit when I was still studying. A place that holds an important memory for me."

Tiffany was curious and wanted to ask more but Taeyeon had opened the car door for her and told her to hold on to her curiosity as they made their way to the restaurant.

30mins later, both of them arrived at a small cafe which Tiffany noticed was quite near to the Tokyo University. Even so, the cafe doesn't seem to have a lot of patrons as it's location was quite secluded from the main street. Taeyeon and Tiffany walked in towards an empty table, right at the back of the cafe against the grey wall. At the moment, besides them, there were only three other customers around.

Taiwan2014-08871.jpg

"How did you manage to find this place? It's quite secluded but the ambience in here seems nice. Simple and calming." Tiffany commented as she took a seat opposite of Taeyeon.

"I used to wander around by myself on weekends when we were given time off to go out from the campus dorm. I chanced upon this cafe 2 months after I came to Tokyo. Since then, this has been my favourite cafe and this is my usual table. I spent a lot of time studying here by myself." Taeyeon smiled brightly as she reminisced her past experience.

"Have you ever brought Bora here with you?" Tiffany asked as she squinted her eyes and pointed her finger at Taeyeon who just chuckled while shaking her head. "You said that this place holds an important memory for you."

"It does. This is the place where I met Marina for the second time. She used to work part-time here before." Taeyeon replied while Tiffany had a shocked expression. "Shall we order some food first?"

************************

"Sorry to interrupt. I saw you from the outside and find that you look familiar."

Tiffany looked up and came face to face with a sweet Japanese girl who was smiling at her. Tiffany shook her head and returned a smile.

"That smile. I've seen it before. You're Tiffany, right? Taeyeon's girl?" The Japanese girl pointed at her while Tiffany had a frown on her face.

"Marina?" Taeyeon's voice made the two girls turned instantly towards her as Tiffany had a surprised look while Marina was smiling widely at Taeyeon. "How come you're here?"

"I came by to check on the sales for today." Marina explained. She had been promoted as the manager over the years and was handling two other similar cafes in Tokyo.

"Marina, right?" Tiffany stood up and held out her hand for a handshake to which Marina quickly grabbed her hands. "Why don't you take a seat first and join us? Here, you can sit beside me."

Marina chuckled a little as she took a seat beside Tiffany while Taeyeon placed the tray of food and drinks on the table.

"Do you need any drinks or food? I can get them for you." Taeyeon asked as Marina shook her head, prompting Taeyeon to sit down opposite of Tiffany.

"I just had my dinner at the other cafe. When I entered earlier, I was looking around the cafe when I spotted Tiffany." Marina explained to Taeyeon. "Now I believe you when you said that Tiffany's a little possessive in a subtle way. Seeing how she directed me to sit beside her instead of you without making it too obvious, I can understand what you mean."

Marina and Taeyeon giggled while Tiffany took some time to understand the whole scenario. Once she had understood it, Tiffany smacked Taeyeon's hands lightly before glaring at her.

"Yah, Kim Taeyeon. I'm not possessive, okay." Tiffany clenched her teeth before pouting while Taeyeon meronged at her.

"Both of you are so cute. I'm glad you're back together." Marina said, causing both of them to look at her.

"We're not officially back together. We're taking things slow at the moment." Taeyeon tried to explain to Marina who looks confused at the moment.

"We're more than friends but not yet a couple. Something like that." Tiffany added on as Marina finally nodded her head.

"Basically, both of you are just back to the dating stages." Marina said as Taeyeon and Tiffany agreed with her remarks. "That's better than being apart, I guess. I've never met someone who is so steadfast in love like Taeyeon. Both of you deserve to be together after what Nicky had done to your relationship. By the way, are you still in contact with him?"

Marina asked Tiffany who nodded her head reluctantly, explaining about their work project together while Marina just sighed. Taeyeon noticed the upset expression on Tiffany's face.

"Hey, don't be sad. It's your job. I believe if you had a choice, you won't want to work with him, right?" Taeyeon grabbed Tiffany's hands and rubbed it.

"Actually, I do have a choice. I can always resign from the company." Tiffany's answer shocked Taeyeon.

"Andwae! You've worked hard to be where you are right now and you love your job. You don't have to resign." Taeyeon replied with a serious tone.

"But I love you more." Tiffany suddenly said before she covered and blushed while Taeyeon started grinning like an idiot.

Marina started giggling as she observed the two of them. "Seriously, both of you are so cute together. I'm relieve that you didn't end up with Nicky, Tiffany. If that really happens, I can't never forgive myself for what I did to Taeyeon. I can't believe he could stoop so low just to destroy someone's else relationship."

"That's because he has feelings for her." Taeyeon replied as she jutted her lips to Tiffany's direction.

"But I don't have such feelings for him. I've told him before that I see him only as a friend and he told me that he was fine with it. Now I feel like he's more of an enemy than a friend." Tiffany expressed her feelings. "If I was given a choice, obviously I won't want to have anything to do with him."

"You can always apply to be Taeyeon's secretary. You still doesn't have one, right?" Marina turned to look at Taeyeon who shook her head while Tiffany had a confused look. "If you're thinking as to why I know that she doesn't have a secretary, that's because I've been to her office before to pass the voice recorder. Someone of her position should have a secretary to help her out with the workload."

Marina explained to Tiffany who agreed to it but Taeyeon rebutted by saying that she can handle the workload and she didn't see the need to have a secretary.

"You're just afraid that it'll repeat again." Tiffany answered as she explained to Marina about what happened between Taeyeon and her previous secretary. "Even Bora was thinking of applying to be your secretary. Why are you such a charmer, Kim Taeyeon?"

"That is why I asked you to apply for that post, Tiffany. So that you can keep her on a leash." Marina said as she giggled along with Tiffany.

Taeyeon looked at the two girls in front of her while blinking her eyes and pouting away, looking like an innocent kid who was sulking.

The 3 of them continued chatting away until Marina excused herself an hour later. She gave Tiffany a tight hug and whispered in her ears to take care of Taeyeon.

************************

"Yah!! What are you dreaming of? Missing your lover already?" Bora teased as Tiffany rolled her eyes at her.

"Luckily we decided to surprise her yesterday morning by going to her apartment. If not, we will never know that Taeyeon-unnie had came over to visit her and spent time with her since Thursday." Nicole said as Bora nodded her head. "Both of us were worried for nothing, thinking that she was all alone by herself when she's having so much fun actually."

"I've never seen her smile so brightly before. It's as if there's a light surrounding her. Like a halo." Bora continued to tease.

"Yah, yah yah!! Can the two of you stop it already?" Tiffany pouted and folded her arms. "I don't know why but I don't seem to have any interest in this coming project."

"We know why." Bora and Nicole answered at the same time before giving each other a high-five.

"Firstly, this project is with Nicky's company which means that you don't really feel like working with him." Bora held out one of her finger.

"Secondly, you're missing your Taetae." Nicole continued as she took out another of Bora's finger.

Tiffany sighed as she slumped back into her chair. The 3 of them were currently in her office and were supposed to go through some details for the project with Nicky's company. But she was really not looking forward to it. Spending the past 4 days with Taeyeon had been an incredible experience. They laughed, teased and had so much fun together. She had never felt so happy before but the mere presence of knowing that Taeyeon was near, had made her feel complete. When Taeyeon walked through the departure gates of Tokyo Airport last night, she felt like the loneliness was even greater than before. Returning alone to the apartment, she reminisced the times when Taeyeon was staying over at her place.

"Hey... You're daydreaming again. Are you really okay, Tiff?" Bora started to worry about her friend who seem lifeless at the moment.

"Why don't you share your thoughts with us. Maybe we can give you some feedbacks or suggestions." Nicole said.

"Both of you are right. If I was given a choice, I don't want to be part of this project. I don't want to see the guy who had hurt the one person that I truly care about." Tiffany said. "But it's my job. Even if I don't want to see him, I don't have a choice."

"I used to like the idea of you and Nicky together." Nicole admitted. "But after what he did to you and Taeyeon-unnie, I don't think I like him at all. Especially after I get to know Taeyeon-unnie. She's so charming, cool and..."

"Yah!! Are you going to start fangirling over her again?" Tiffany threw a ball of paper at Nicole who started giggling. "We still need to prepare for the meeting with Nicky's company in 3 days time."

"Which I don't think is necessary at all." Bora intercepted. "We've just had a meeting with them last week before we were given the two days off. Now they want to have another meeting in 3 days time. For what? When we were dealing with the Jung Enterprise, our meetings with them was like once every one or two months. It makes me feel like Nicky is taking advantage of the situation to meet Tiffany more often."

"By the way, does Taeyeon-unnie know about this? That you're working with Nicky." Nicole asked to which Tiffany nodded her head. "Is she okay with it?"

"She understood that it's my job. But she did say that she was still jealous of him." Tiffany answered. "I've even told her that I was thinking of resigning so that I won't have to work with him anymore."

"Resigning? Can't you just ask Mr Nakamura to remove you from this project's team?" Bora suggested as Tiffany shook her head.

"Actually, when I found out that I'll be involved in the project with Nicky's company, I had already requested to be removed but Mr Nakamura insisted that I have to stay in the team. The reason he gave was that because I've been the one dealing with Nicky's company since 2 yrs ago. He also said that Nicky specifically requested for me to be in-charge of all the projects between our company and his." Tiffany took a deep breathe before leaning back into her chair. "Honestly, I didn't even know that there was such an arrangement."

"Did Taeyeon-unnie agreed to your suggestion to resign?" Nicole asked.

"She didn't agree. She said that I've worked hard to be where I am now and she knows that I love my job but if I have to continue entertaining Nicky's nonsense, I don't think I'll be enjoying what I'm doing. Don't you agree?" Tiffany asked the two girls in front of her.

"You should just apply for the secretarial post for Taeyeon-unnie." Bora randomly suggested.

************************

"Thank you so much for your guidance all this while, Mr Nakamura. I really appreciate it a lot." Tiffany smiled as she shook the hands of her boss.

"It's just too bad that you've really made up your mind about leaving, Tiffany. You're a great worker and I believe all of your colleagues will miss your presence too. By any chance, is there any way that I can still persuade you to stay?" The old man tried his luck but Tiffany shook her head while still smiling. "But you said that you've not found a new job, right? Why don't you just continue until you find it?"

"I agree that I don't have a job yet but I've already decided about my new workplace. I just haven't submitted the application." Tiffany answered.

"You seen confident that you'll be getting the job. I hope you won't be joining any of our rival company. It'll be awkward for us if we bumped into you." Mr Nakamura said with a teasing tone.

"Don't worry, Mr Nakamura. I won't be doing so. Furthermore, my new job doesn't deal with the fashion line and I won't be in Japan either." Tiffany's answers brought a frown on the old man's face. "I'm planning to work in Seoul."

"Well, I guess this is really our farewell then. Good luck and all the best to you."

Once again, Mr Nakamura shook Tiffany's hands before he walked out from her office. Bora and Nicole came in right after he left as they helped Tiffany to pack her remaining stuff into a small box. Today was Tiffany's last day at work after she tendered her resignation a week ago. As Bora and Nicole accompanied Tiffany to the lobby, they chatted and complained about how boring their life would be once Tiffany's not around.

"You can always come and visit me whenever you're free. Seoul and Tokyo is not that far apart." Tiffany replied as they walked out from the lift but they were surprised when they saw the person who was standing outside.

"Did you just say Seoul?"

The 3 girls looked at the man who had arched his eyebrow and folded his arms, standing as if he deserved an answer.

"Bora, Nicole. I'll see you girls later tonight, okay. I'll be fine from here on." Tiffany answered as she smiled at the two girls who were glaring at the snobbish-looking guy in front of them.

The moment the lift door closed with Bora and Nicole in it, Tiffany turned around to face Nicky who was looking confused.

"Mr Nakamura told me that you've tendered your resignation last week and that someone else will be taking over the project from you. You mentioned Seoul earlier. Do you mind explaining?" Nicky asked.

"It's true that I've resigned and today is actually my last day at work. I mentioned Seoul earlier because I'm planning to move there." Tiffany sighed after she finished explaining. She knew that she doesn't have to explain herself to Nicky since it was none of his business but she knew he would continue to hassle her if he didn't get an answer.

"Moving to Seoul? Why the sudden decision?" Nicky continued to ask as Tiffany started to walk away from him, getting a little irritated with his behaviour.

"I miss my friends there." Tiffany gave a short reply before stopping in front of her car.

"Friends? You've not been there for almost 4yrs already." Nicky rebutted as he placed his hand on Tiffany's shoulders and turned her around. "There must be something that you're keeping from me."

"Even if there is, why does it matter to you, Nicky? You're just a friend of mine. Whatever secrets I have, it doesn't concern you at all." Tiffany had enough of his bossy attitude.

Nicky was taken aback with Tiffany's anger as he tried to act cute and gave Tiffany his puppy eyes. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interfere in your private life. I'm just worried for you. You do know that I really care for you, right?"

Tiffany rolled her eyes at him while placing her hands on her car door handle. "You don't have to worry about me. I'll be fine. There's someone in Seoul who will take good care of me."

Nicky's eyes widened as Tiffany noticed that he had clenched his fist. "Someone? Who is that person? Are you seeing someone behind my back?"

"Yes. I am. I think you should remember her too. Her name is Kim Taeyeon." Tiffany replied him with a smirk as she noticed the anger in his eyes.

"WHAT??!! Why are you back with that cheater?" Nicky half-shouted as Tiffany who was about to enter her car, stopped in her tracks.

"Cheater?' Tiffany put on a shocked expression even though she was trying to control her anger inside. "What do you mean?"

Tiffany could see the change in Nicky's expression, who was trying his best to hide his smirk but Tiffany could see through him. Tiffany wanted to see how far Nicky was willing to go with his lies and how low he would stoop to stop her from being with Taeyeon.

"Even after all these years, I can't believe she still hasn't come clean with you about her infidelity." Nicky said with a smug look. "She cheated behind you when you both were still in a relationship. I caught her kissing a random girl in a pub. Passionately. I won't be surprised if she had actually slept with that girl that night. Maybe that is not the only girl that she had been hitting on."

Tiffany clenched her fist when she heard the lies that Nicky was telling her. "Why did you wait until now to inform me about it? I had broken up with Taeyeon even before she left for Japan. You had more than enough time to tell me about all these."

"I thought that since you had broken up with her, I didn't see the need to tell you all of that. I didn't want you to have a bad impression of her." Nicky was showing his fake concern look. "I had always tried my best to be there for you and protect you from any harm. If I had known that she was trying to get back with you, I would have asked you to be my girlfriend as soon as possible."

Tiffany frowned as she didn't really understand the rationale behind his words. "I'm so sorry but I don't really get you. What has Taeyeon cheating behind my back got to do with you wanting me to be your grilfriend?"

"Tiffany, after all these years, can't you understand my feelings for you? I've loved you from the first time I saw you. I've always been there for you. I deserve to be with you and not that cheater, Kim Taeyeon."

"What's the proof that she is a cheater?"