Story Retold

Goodbye, Hello

"Taeyeonie...Come and follow me."

"Andwae. Stop following me around Sunmi. And please stop hurting others too."

"Why do you only care about others and never about me? I love you so much, Taeyeonie. From the very first day since I started working in your office, I had fallen for you."

"But you can't force me to love you, Sunmi. I have someone that I love too. She was my first love. My first girlfriend. Even though we had broken up a few years ago but my love is only for her."

"Aaarrgghhh... I don't care. You're coming with me, Taeyeonie."

Taeyeon looked around but all she saw was whiteness. Sunmi walked closer to her while Taeyeon tried to look for ways to run away.

"Andwae!!! Stop pulling my hands. I'm not going with you."

"Yah, Kim Taeyeon!! Don't you dare die on us!! You stupid midget!!"

Taeyeon froze when she heard Sooyoung's voice out of nowhere while she was trying to pull away from Sunmi's strong pull.

"Soo? Where are you?!! Help me get out from here."

"No one is here to help you, Taeyeonie. It's only you and me right now. Didn't you say that if you die, you'll bring me with you?."

Taeyeon's eyes widened as she saw a black hole appearing slowly from the wall behind Sunmi who was laughing hysterically at her. The hole was getting bigger and bigger as Taeyeon struggled further. It was during the struggle that Taeyeon heard a few more voices which she was unfamiliar with.

"Quick! Prepare the defibrillator. We're losing her."

Sunmi's grip on Taeyeon's hands tightened as Taeyeon seemed to be losing her strength.

"Andwae!! I'm not dead yet. I'm not going to follow you. Everyone is waiting for me. Especially Tiffany. Ppany-ah!!! Help me!!"

"Taetae... Let me go, Soo. I want to be by her side. Taetae, don't leave me. I'm sorry. Please don't leave me. I need you."

The moment Taeyeon heard Tiffany's crying voice, she gritted her teeth and forcefully pulled her arms away from Sunmi. The moment they were apart, Sunmi was into the black hole before it disappeared, leaving Taeyeon in the sea of whiteness again as she kept calling out Tiffany's name. The ground suddenly shook violently as Taeyeon fell down. She was about to stand up again when it shook even harder.

"What the hell is happening in here? Where am I?" Taeyeon continued to lie down after the 3rd time as fear started to consume her. "Am I really dead?"

She doesn't know how long she was just lying down on the ground lifelessly, not knowing what to do until she heard her Omma's voice.

"Taeyeon-ah, where are you, my child? Everyone is waiting for you to come home, especially Miyoung. Don't you miss us? Don't you miss her?" Taeyeon nodded her head and instantly stood up as she tried to follow the direction where the voice was coming from. "Are you feeling lost, my child? If you are, close your eyes and touch your heart. Calm yourself down and when you open your eyes again, you'll find your way home."

************************

Tiffany blinked her eyes and looked up to where Taeyeon was. Straightening her back, she stretched a little and yawned. It was uncomfortable taking a nap on the chair but she didn't mind as long as she could be close to Taeyeon. Furthermore, she had offered Hyoyeon to sleep on the couch for the night. Everyone else had left a few hours ago after dinner as Tiffany looked up to the clock on the wall that showed 3am.

The reason as to why she was awake from her short nap was because Tiffany had felt some movement from her hand which was holding on to Taeyeon's hand earlier. She stared at her girlfriend's face.

"It must have been my own nerves." Tiffany mumbled to herself as she stood up since she wanted to go to the bathroom to wash her face.

She had just taken two steps away from the bed when she froze. It was a very faint sound but there was no doubt about the name that was being called out.

"Ppany?"

Tiffany turned around as she saw Taeyeon's eyes blinked a few times before it stopped and stared at her. It was not until a weak smile appeared on Taeyeon's face that Tiffany snapped out of her shocked state.

"Tae..tae.. Oh my god. You're awake. You're finally awake."

Hyoyeon's POV

I almost fell off the couch when I heard Fany-unnie's loud voice. Rubbing my eyes as I sat up straight, my eyes widened when I saw Taeyeon-unnie waving her hand slightly at me before she continued to pat Tiffany-unnie's head that was rested on her shoulders. I could hear the distinctive sobbing from Tiffany-unnie as I made my way to stand on the other side of the bed.

"Did you lost your way home?" I asked with a serious look.

"You missed me, didn't you?" I saw Taeyeon smirking as my expression change before both of us started smiling at each other.

"Welcome back, Unnie." I said as I noticed Tiffany-unnie sitting up straight while wiping her tears away. "I'll message and inform the others."

"I'm sorry, Hyo. I forgot to inform you that your unnie has just woken up." Tiffany-unnie apologised to me as I told her that it was okay.

"Inform the rest after sunrise later. All of them should be sleeping at the moment. I don't want to trouble them." Taeyeon-unnie said as she told me to continue my sleep. "Fany-ah, you can share the bed with me."

I started chuckling at Taeyeon-unnie's sentence as both of them looked at me with a confused look. "Byuntae."

"Yah!! She's my girlfriend and future wife. What's so erted about sleeping together?" Taeyeon-unnie showed a fist at me as I meronged at her before making my way to the couch.

"No hanky panky okay. I'm still in the same room as both of you." I giggled again.

I lied down and turned my body sideways. I could still hear some murmurings and guessed that both Taeyeon-unnie and Tiffany-unnie were having a little chat. I was still lost in my own thoughts when I heard light snoring sounds from the bed. Smiling to myself, I typed a short message to Omma.

To Omma Kim:

Omma, Taeng-unnie is awake. She woke up around 3.09am just now. I wanted to inform everyone about it but Unnie told me to just inform after sunrise since she didn't want to disturb their sleep. I'm going back to sleep soon. I'll see you later, Omma.

************************

"How are you doing, Taeyeon?" Minho asked the moment he walked into the room with Officer Jonghyun and Officer Taemin behind him.

"Getting better, Minho." Taeyeon smiled at the tall handsome man who then turned around to greet everyone else in the room.

After Hyoyeon and Tiffany contacted the girls and Taeyeon's parents, most of them had rushed over as soon as possible. By 9am, the room was filled with chatterings. Mrs Kim had prepared breakfast for everyone since she was already informed much earlier due to Hyoyeon's message in the wee hours. At around noon, Taeyeon's parents had volunteered to go out and buy lunch for everyone.

"You knew him?" Tiffany, who was seated beside Taeyeon on the patient bed, whispered to her.

"He's Sooyoung's cousin." Taeyeon whispered back. "But I don't know why he's here though. I replied to him out of courtesy but I don't know the other two guys. Are they Soo's cousins too?  Did Soo informed her whole family about my accident?"

Tiffany covered to stiffle her laughter but she couldn't contend it when she saw the blank look on Taeyeon's face who was just observing the interaction between the girls and the officers.

Everyone's attention was diverted to Tiffany's clapping as the eye-smile girl laughed without a sound.

"What's wrong, Tiff? Why are you laughing and clapping suddenly?" Jessica asked as Tiffany started explaining to everyone about what Taeyeon had said to her earlier.

"Taeng, Minho is the officer-in-charge of your kidnapping case along with Nicky's. These two guys are Officer Jonghyun and Officer Taemin. They worked under him." Sooyoung explained as Taeyeon nodded her head.

"The reason I'm here is actually to find out what actually happen on the rooftop that night. I've already questioned Nicky and Tiffany after you were brought in to the hospital. The bodyguard, Mr Kang, is still in our custody." Minho started explaining after he took a chair to sit near to Taeyeon. "We understand that you had just woken up and has not fully recovered yet but there's some urgency with regards to this case. Ms Lee Sunmi's family are pressuring us for answers and they want to know who pulled the trigger on their daughter. Based on the testimonial given by both my officers who were the first to arrive at the scene, they stated that Mr Kang was holding on to the gun with Ms Lee's dead body in front of him. There was no sign of you until Mr Kang informed that you had fallen off the rooftop."

"The moment I heard what he said, I dashed out and ran down the stairs while informing my Sir about the situation." Officer Taemin continued the story. "I found you on the grass patch, totally unconscious with your hands covering your left waist. I didn't notice your open wound until I tried to wake you up and your hand falls to your side."

By now, everyone's attention was focused on the conversation. It's obvious that everyone in the room were curious about what had happened that early morning from the time Tiffany entered the rooftop up to the time she left the scene with Nicky. The girls had heard Tiffany's side of the story when they were waiting for Taeyeon who was inside the operation theatre at that time.

"To be honest, I didn't really see the bodyguard shooting the gun at Sunmi." Taeyeon began talking. "After I saw the opportunity for Nicky to escape, I told him to run off and bring Fany along with him."

(Flashbacks)

Taeyeon's POV

"5.. 4.. 3.."

I saw Sunmi turning her body away from me as I saw the opportunity to strike. The rope around my wrist had already loosened by then as I hooked my left arm around Sunmi's neck while the other grabbed her right arm that was pointing the gun at Nicky's head.

"Nicky!! Down!!" I shouted. "Run!! Now!! Bring Tiffany along!!"

Sunmi was startled by my loud voice and actions as she started panicking while Nicky who still looked a little dazed, dashed forward towards Tiffany.

"YAH!! What are you doing?!! Kim Taeyeon!! Let me go." Sunmi tried to pull my arm away from her neck but since she was trying to hold on to the gun, she could only use one hand.

I watched from behind Sunmi's back at how Nicky pulled Tiffany up and dragged her towards the exit door without looking back. Tiffany had tried to turn her head around but since Nicky's pull was too strong, she could only faced forward. As I tried to loosen Sunmi's grip on the gun, I tightened my grip around her neck. Sunmi must have panicked when she couldn't breathe properly since she finally let go of the gun and used both hands to grab on my arm that was around her neck.

"Let me go, you idiot." Sunmi shouted again when she realised that I was not loosening my hold around her neck.

"No!! I won't let you go until Tiffany is safe. Far away from you." I replied while clenching my teeth.

During the struggle, both of us had moved away from the point where Sunmi had dropped the gun and when I saw the bodyguard walking towards the gun, I started to get nervous. Sunmi also saw his movement and she encouraged him to take the gun.

"Tiffany will never be safe. As long as I'm around, I'll make sure that she'll never be happy with you. You're mine, Taeyeonie. Forever, you'll be mine." Sunmi started laughing hysterically but her hands were still trying to pull my arm away.

"As long as I'm alive, I will never let you or anyone hurt Tiffany. It's all my fault that all these had happened. Because of me, innocent lives had been lost and might be harmed in the future. If I'm going to die, I'll bring you with me." I took a deep breathe as I gathered my strength and tightened my grip.

Sunmi realised what I had done as she used her left elbow to hit my left ribcage repeated it. It was painful as I could feel more blood trailing down my leg.

"Let her go."

I was surprised when I heard the manly voice as I looked up towards the bodyguard who was pointing the gun towards us. In my head, I kept wondering if he was referring to me or Sunmi. Seeing the gun, I had no choice but to release my arm around Sunmi's neck as I took a step back.

"Good job, Kang. Now just hand the gun over to me." Sunmi clapped her hands before stretching it out to ask for the gun.

Seeing Sunmi making her way slowly towards him, I subconsciously walked backwards without realising the consequences.

"Watch out!!!"

I heard the shout from the bodyguard as his eyes widened and I couldn't feel my leg touching any concrete floor. My head tilted upwards as I saw the darkness of the sky and realised that I had stepped over the edge of the rooftop.

************************

"When I realised what had happened, all I could do was just to close my eyes. But when I was about to do so, I heard a gunshot and felt a sharp pain on my left rib. By instinct, I covered my wound. What happened after that, I have no recollection at all." Taeyeon ended her story as silence filled the air.

"The doctor informed me that you were very lucky that night. Landing on the grass patch instead of the concrete floor just a few metres away. He said that if you had landed on the concrete itself, the chances of you being alive would have diminish the moment your body touch the ground. The impact of your body on the hard concrete would be disastrous, especially since you were already losing a lot of blood." Minho informed everyone about what the doctor had told him before.

Gasps were heard around the room as they were shocked to find out that Taeyeon might not have survived that night. Tiffany instantly wrapped her arms around Taeyeon in a protective manner.

"From Nicky's testimonial, he said that you had asked him to promise you that he'll take care of Tiffany before you acted on your own to get Sunmi away from Nicky and Tiffany. Is that true?" Officer Jonghyun suddenly interrupted as he read out loud the statement from a brown file that he was holding on.

"You said that to Nicky?" Tiffany turned to look at Taeyeon who nodded her head slowly. "Why did you do that? You make it sound like you are prepared to leave me behind. Don't you love me anymore? I know I made a mistake. I hesitated again. But.. I.. I.."

Tiffany started crying before she stood up and was about to walk away when Taeyeon grabbed her wrist.

"Ppany-ah, do you think if I have a choice, I would leave you?" Taeyeon said softly. "At that moment of time, all I was concerned of was your safety."

"Then what about yours? Don't you think I would be concerned about your safety too?" Tiffany turned to face Taeyeon, looking a little angry. "Do you think I would be happy, walking away and leaving you behind in that situation?"

"I just didn't want you to go through the pain of having to choose between me or Nicky again. I know you love me but I also understand that you care for Nicky as a friend. He won't have to go through all these craziness if not because of me. Sunmi hurt him because she thought that he wanted to hurt me. Yoona was right. He was only trash talking when Sunmi overheard his conversation with his friends. But he was badly injured throughout this ordeal. It's not fair for him." Taeyeon tried to explain her actions that night.

"It's not fair for me too, Taetae. I could.. have... lo.. lost you that night." Tiffany stammered her words as she tried to hold back her tears but failed. "You took a big risk on your own."

"Because deep down inside my heart, I know that I will fight for every chance that I have just to be by your side." Taeyeon smiled as she pulled Tiffany slowly towards her. "That's why I came back. I fought hard to stay alive. To be with you."

By then, Taeyeon was already engulfed in a tight hug from Tiffany who continued sobbing on her shoulders. Taeyeon looked over and saw that Jessica, Seohyun and Sunny were also crying while their partners were consoling them.

"Is everyone okay in here? Did I miss a sad story while we went out for lunch?"

An elderly voice was heard as everyone turned to the door and saw Taeyeon's parents who were carrying some packed food. Mrs Kim walked in while Mr Kim seemed to be talking to someone outside.

"Yah, Taengoo. Your friend is here but he doesn't want to come in. I caught him standing by the door earlier for around 5mins. He wanted to walk away and told me to just send his regards to you." Mr Kim was holding on to someone's arm who was hiding his face behind the door. "Just come in, young man. Don't have to feel shy just because there's a lot of ladies inside. Most of them are already off the market, anyway."

With one last tug, the mysterious man finally appeared in front of everyone's view.

"Nicky?"

When Tiffany heard that name, she automatically lifted up her head from Taeyeon's shoulders and turned towards the door. She had not seen him since that night after she told him to get himself treated for his injuries.

"Hhhmmm.. Hi." Nicky nervously lifted up his hands before he bowed a little. "I'm sorry for intruding. I heard from Officer Jonghyun that Taeyeon had woken up in the early hours so I thought of visiting her to check on her condition. I didn't expect such a big crowd though."

Taeyeon saw that Nicky still had some scars on his face along with some plasters on his arms. Taeyeon smiled a little and beckoned him to walk in. Nicky walked slowly towards the bed as Minho stood up to let him take over his seat.

"Thanks for coming, Nicky. Are you getting better?" Taeyeon asked as Tiffany helped her to lean back against the headrest while Nicky nodded his head.

"How's your injury? Officer Minho informed me that you've lost quite a lot of blood that night." Nicky asked as Taeyeon showed him a thumbs up, indicating that she was fine. "Anyway, the main reason for coming here is to say my thanks to you, Taeyeon. For putting your life at risk just so that I could escape that night."

Taeyeon smiled and shook her head. "You don't have to thank me, Nicky. If not because of me, you won't have been in this ordeal in the first place. You don't even know Sunmi."

"Anni, anni. It's not because of you. I was the one who shouldn't have trash-talked about hurting you in the first place. I shouldn't even think of hurting others no matter what the situation was." Nicky sounded apologetic. "Once the case is over, I'll be going back home to my country. After what happened, my parents decided that it's better for me to stay close to them, which I agreed."

"You're not coming back?" Tiffany suddenly asked as Nicky turned to face her before shaking his head.

"Maybe I'll come back if you invite me to your wedding." Nicky smiled as he moved his finger from Tiffany to Taeyeon.

"I'll invite you." Taeyeon answered before Nicky stood up and held out his hand for a handshake.

"Take care, Taeyeon and I'm sorry for all the bad things that I've done to you before. By the way, I'm confident that you'll do a better job in taking care of Tiffany than I'll ever will." Nicky smiled sincerely as he bowed a little before saying his goodbyes to TaeNy and everyone else in the room.