Waiting game

Goodbye, Hello

"Do you have any proof so that we can trust you?" Tiffany glared at Sunmi.

"Like I said before, I overheard their conversation and it was only parts of it before I was pulled away by my friend." Sunmi replied, returning the glare to Tiffany.

"I've known Nicky since University days and he had never tried to do anything funny to me. Even though he's arrogant, I don't think he would go to the extreme of trying to force himself on me." Tiffany commented further.

"I'm not sure what kind of person that guy is. All I'm concern is that he is planning to hurt Ms Kim. That is the main reason as to why I decided to inform Ms Choi about it. If the matter concerns only you, I won't even bother." Sunmi folded her arms, rolled her eyes at Tiffany before turning to look at Taeyeon who had been quiet all this while.

(Flashback an hour ago)

"Fany-ah, is Taeng in the office? Is she busy?"

Tiffany looked up and saw Sooyoung and Yuri standing at her desk with a girl following them at the back. She had not seen the girl before so she was surprised that the girl was glaring at her.

"She's inside and I think she's quite free at the moment."

"Thanks. We'll go in and see her for a while." Sooyoung answered as the 3 of them made their way to Taeyeon's office but just before they entered, Tiffany heard Irene's voice from the back.

"Sunmi?"

Tiffany's eyes darted from Irene to the girl whom she had just called out as Sunmi. Tiffany saw how Sunmi smiled and waved at Irene, a very contrast reception from what she had received earlier.

The moment the 3 girls disappeared into Taeyeon's office, Tiffany made her way to Irene's table.

"Did you just called that girl as Sunmi?"

Irene nodded her head. "Ms Kim's ex-secretary before you. The one with a big crush on her."

Tiffany was about to ask further when she heard her name being called as Taeyeon stood in front of her door.

"Tiffany, can you prepare some drinks and snacks?"

It was the first time that Tiffany had prepared everything in a speedy mode. Within 10mins, she had entered Taeyeon's office with a tray of food and drinks. She was about to leave the room after placing the tray when Taeyeon grabbed her wrist softly.

"Ppany-ah, I think you should sit down and listen in. It concerns you too." Taeyeon said softly as she pulled her down to sit beside her on the couch. "Let me introduce you to Sunmi, my previous secretary."

Taeyeon stretched out her hand, pointing towards the girl who was seated on the other couch, beside Sooyoung. Yuri was seated on Taeyeon's chair at her desk. Taeyeon saw how both girls were greeting each other coldly.

"So you're the new secretary? I've heard about you from Sohee." Sunmi said as she released Tiffany's hand after a short handshake.

Tiffany was about to reply when Taeyeon placed her hand on her lap and intercepted her. Tiffany smirked when she saw that Sunmi was unhappy with Taeyeon's action.

"I think we have a more important issue to talk about. Like what Soo and Yul told me just now, you told them that you overheard someone by the name of Nicky talking about me and Tiffany." Taeyeon asked as Tiffany's eyes widened in surprise. "Could you elaborate more?"

"A week ago, I was at a pub in Japan and was on my way back to my hotel when I overheard someone shouting out 'Kim Taeyeon' behind one of the VIP rooms. The door was not properly closed for some unknown reason and I heard 3 guys voices inside from the small gap. They were talking about a girl named Tiffany who apparently was Taeyeon's ex-girlfriend. It seems that the girl left him to go back to Taeyeon to be with her in Seoul." Sunmi said as she looked at Tiffany.

"I didn't leave him. We are just friends." Tiffany replied quickly, becoming a little defensive.

"Whatever it is, Nicky and his friends were planning to do something to both of you. Before that, one of his friends was asking Nicky if he had slept with Tiffany before and he admitted that...." Sunmi purposely paused for a while as she turned to look at Tiffany who had a confused look.

"She didn't sleep with him." Taeyeon was the one who completed the sentence, much to Sunmi's dismay as she nodded her head unwillingly in agreement. "What is he planning to do anyway?"

"He plans to hurt you." Sunmi looked at Taeyeon with a sad face. " And also to take away Tiffany's ity which he claims to be still untouched."

"Do you have any proof so that we can trust you?" Tiffany glared at Sunmi, unhappy at Sunmi's words that seems to suggest that she's no longer a .

(Present time)

Taeyeon, who has been quietly observing the two girls, had a frown on her face as she looked at Yuri and then to Sooyoung.

"I'm not sure what kind of person that guy is. All I'm concern is that he is planning to hurt Ms Kim. That is the main reason as to why I decided to inform Ms Choi about it. If the matter concerns only you, I won't even bother." Sunmi folded her arms.

"If anything happens to Tiffany, I won't be able to forgive myself." Taeyeon rubbed her temples as she tried to digest everything that she had heard so far. "Thank you for informing us about this and thank you for your concern over my safety. I'll discuss things over with Soo and Yul so that nothing will happen to Tiffany."

Sunmi saw how Taeyeon wrapped her arms on Tiffany's shoulders and gave it a soft squeeze, making Tiffany turned to look at her with endearing eyes.

"Is she the one?" Sunmi's question brought everyone's attention back to her as she looked directly at Taeyeon. "The reason as to why you rejected me. The person whom you said you were still in love with."

Taeyeon nodded her head and smiled widely, showing her dimples. "The one and only girl for me."

"You had dimples? I've never seen your dimple smile before while working for you." Sunmi was surprised when she saw it. "I wish you had smiled at me like that before."

"Sunmi, you said you had only heard some parts of the conversation between Nicky and his friends. Tell us what are the exact things that you've managed to hear, right from the start." Sooyoung asked as Sunmi nodded her head.

************************

Taeyeon was extremely quiet throughout the whole drive back from the place where they had dinner earlier. SooSun, YulSic and Hyoyeon had also joined them since they wanted to discuss about the news that Sunmi had brought to them.

"Taetae?" Tiffany called out to her girlfriend when she was done parking the car. "What is on your mind?"

Taeyeon turned to look at Tiffany with an unreadable expression. She sighed and leaned back into her car seat. "Ppany-ah, what if I can't protect you?"

Tiffany was surprised when Taeyeon started to cry as she quickly turned sideways to grab Taeyeon and gave her a tight hug. "Pabo-yah. What have you been thinking all these while? Stop blaming yourself."

Tiffany knew that Taeyeon had started to overthink about the whole situation the moment she kept her silence. Throughout the dinner, the girls had been discussing about the measures that they would take in accordance to the information given by Sunmi.

(Flashback a few hours ago)

"Make sure you keep all of us in the loop the moment Nicky contacts you, Fany. From what Sunmi told us, was that Nicky would call you up with the pretext of asking for Taeyeon's forgiveness. He would then drugged your drink and bring you back to his hotel." Sooyoung gave the instruction as Tiffany nodded her head. "As for Taeng. Just stay alert at all times. Sunmi only managed to hear that he was planning to hurt you. In what way, we're not sure."

"The rest of us must always be on standby for any emergency calls from both Fany and Taeng. We will have to get to them as soon as possible." Yuri added on as everyone nodded their heads.

"The only problem is, until when do we have to stay alert?" Hyoyeon's statement caused everyone to sigh since Sunmi had informed that she didn't manage to hear when Nicky was going to execute his plan.

(Present time)

"I hate this feeling of uncertainty." Taeyeon admitted as Tiffany rubbed her back. "What if I can't be there for you in time? I don't want anything to happen to you, Ppany-ah. I don't want you to go through what I had went through."

It was then that Tiffany realised Taeyeon had an almost similar experience between her and Sunmi. The person who was helping them now was also the person that had tried to her before. If Sooyoung and Sunny didn't manage to come in time to help her, Tiffany couldn't imagine what would happened to Taeyeon that night. Out of reflex, Tiffany blurted out her suspicion.

"You don't really trust Sunmi, do you?"

Taeyeon pulled herself away from Tiffany and looked directly in her eyes before nodding her head. "She seems quite genuine in trying to help us but after working with her before, I can't... I just can't trust her fully."

"Let's just hope that she's really helping us out." Tiffany tried to reassure her girlfriend, "We were suppose to inform our friends about us getting back together officially but I don't think the news suits the situation at the moment."

"I'm sorry. It was suppose to be a dinner celebrating us but ended up, it became a dinner to plan out our safety." Taeyeon sighed as Tiffany leaned in and kissed her on the cheeks.

"It's okay. We can always inform them another time. Let's just go back and rest for the night." Tiffany suggested as both of them exited the car and walked to their apartment lobby.

From a distance, a pair of eyes was watching them intensely in a black car. Gripping hard the steering wheel, the driver drove off once TaeNy entered the lift.

************************

Tiffany's POV

"Tiffany-unnie, is everything okay?"

I looked up and smiled at Yeri and Irene who were standing in front of my desk.

"I'm fine. Wae? Do I look like something is not right?" I asked as both girls turned to look at each other before pointing their fingers at Taeyeon's door.

"Ms Kim seems to be quite down lately. She rarely steps out from her office and mingle with us. It feels like those days before you became her secretary." Yeri said as Irene nodded her head.

"How was she before I came?" I asked, being curious suddenly.

"Always in her office most of her time. She will come work before us and leave work after us." Irene explained.

"Sometimes, she doesn't even go out for lunch. She would only go out of her office when Ms Choi or Ms Kwon drops by and drag her out. That is the only time when we could see her walking by our tables and giving us that charming smile. Usually if her two friends dragged her out for lunch, she would bring back some food for us. But she really doesn't talk much." Yeri added on.

"Not as much as after you came. We were actually surprised when she started to mingle and spend more time at our tables, especially yours. Actually, me and the other girls felt that both of you looked cute together." Irene admitted honestly as I tried to stop myself from smiling but I think it resulted in me looking as if I was frowning as Irene asked me the next question. "I'm sorry, Tiffany-unnie. Did I offend you by saying that out? You're into girls, right?"

"Anni, anni." I answered too fast as Irene covered and started to apologise. Realising my mistake in my answer, I grabbed her shoulders to stop her from continuously bowing her head. "What I meant is, I'm not offended."

Irene and Yeri smiled again after I explained myself. We chatted for a while and some thoughts suddenly popped in my mind.

"Irene, is it okay if I ask you about Sunmi?" I smiled nervously.

"Sunmi? As in Ms Kim ex-secretary?" Irene tried to reconfirm the person as I nodded my head. "What do you want to know?"

"You said that she had a big crush on Ms Kim. How did you all know about that?" I asked again as I gestured to the girls to move to the pantry at the side as I was afraid that Taeyeon might suddenly exit her office.

"She keeps talking about Ms Kim to us. Praising her work, complimenting her looks. She even admitted to us that she was into girls and that Ms Kim was her ideal type. She always stays behind and will not leave the office until Ms Kim reports off. There was one time, she left for the ladies and Wendy, who had just left Ms Kim's office, saw that Sunmi's computer screen was a picture of Ms Kim."

Irene's explanation caused a frown to appear on my face as I noticed that even Yeri was frowning too.

"That's not a big crush, Irene-unnie. That's like obsession. She's weird." Yeri literally took the words out of my mouth.

"She is. I remembered one incident that happend at the cafetaria. Wendy and I were buying some food and we overheard a girl badmouthing Ms Kim. Saying that Ms Kim was only pretending to be hardworking when she's not. I actually just ignored it until Wendy nudged me and asked me to look at something. I followed her gaze and that was when I saw Sunmi, glaring at that girl from a distance. She had this killer looks in her eyes and even as I'm saying it now, I'm still having goosebumps." Irene showed me the hairs on her hand.

"Well, I'm glad that she's not working here anymore and we have our sweet Tiffany-unnie working with us instead." Yeri admitted as she side-hugged me while I just patted her head. "But Tiffany-unnie, can't you do something about Ms Kim's mood? We actually noticed that you've not been talking much to her except for work matters. Did the both of you fight?"

I chuckled nervously as Yeri's question hit me straight to my heart. "We're not fighting. I'm just a little upset with her at the moment."

"Ms Kim must have done something wrong but please don't be angry at her. Even though Ms Kim doesn't talk much with us, we know that she always have our best interest in mind. She takes good care of us from behind." Irene commented as I nodded my head. "Actually, we can see that you're someone special to her with the way her eyes lights up when looking at you and the way her smile will be so loving when it's at you. Please bring back our cheerful Ms Kim and her ahjumma laughter."

I had to giggle at Irene's last sentence as the 3 of us covered our mouth and tried to control our giggles. I told the girls to return to their table since we were in the pantry for almost 20mins now. Sitting at my table, I turned to look at Taeyeon's door before letting out a sigh.

4 days ago, I was really upset with her for spoiling not only my mood to shop but also Sunny's and Jessica's. Both of them told me that they understood as to why Taeyeon was reacting that way but it was making them a little irritated. Deep down inside, I do appreciate Taeyeon's over-protective nature but I felt suffocated at times. I knew that I was suppose to be more careful at the moment but Nicky had not contacted me at all.

Doesn't that mean he's not planning anything yet? What if he's not planning at all? What if Sunmi was just overreacting?

Those thoughts continued to linger in my head as I tried to focus on my work until it was time for lunch. The past 3 days at work, I had either skipped lunch or I had joined the other girls for lunch at the cafetaria. I knew that Taeyeon had not been going out for lunch either. Taking a deep breathe, I stood up and made my way to Taeyeon's door.

Taeyeon's POV

I leaned my head against the headrest of my chair and closed my eyes for a minute. Work had been piling up since it was almost coming to the end of the year. Next week, the company would be launching the Christmas album. For a moment, I'm really thankful for all the workload that I had to handle so far. It kept my mind off some matters as I concentrate fully on my work. Another reason was that being at work, it meant that I could have Tiffany under my full supervision.

Thinking about Tiffany, made me sighed for the umptenth time of the day. Ever since that meet-up with Sunmi in my office 3 weeks ago, I've been extra clingy on her and I felt that there were times where Tiffany was frustrated with my behaviour.

Tiffany was someone who loved the outdoors, unlike me. But lately, I've been giving her excuses just so that she would stay indoors whenever it's the weekend. The first week was easy. All I had to do was to tell her that I wanted to spend alone time with her at home. The reason I gave was that since both of us had just got back together officially, we should spend more time together. It was not a total excuse anyway, since that was what I really wanted to do initially.

The 2nd week, I brought her to my parent's home to spend our weekends there. At first, Tiffany was a little upset since she had wanted to go out to tour Seoul before the start of the winter season but since she was also very close to my family, she agreed to my suggestion. She did enjoyed her time there even though we were mostly indoors too.

Last week was the most difficult part. Tiffany seemed to have noticed my unusual clingy behaviour and it made her upset with me. She had made plans to go out shopping with Jessica and Sunny. I told her that I wanted to follow, something that I had never done before. She knew that I didn't really like to shop and the fact that I'm not giving her some personal space, irked her a little.

She did went out with the girls in the end but they came back after 4hrs. It seemed that Sunny and Jessica were a little annoyed with my constant messaging of asking about their whereabouts. They decided to cut short their shopping outing and sent Tiffany home, right up to my doorstep. Obviously, Tiffany was very upset and threw a tantrum by not talking to me for the past 4 days. Well, unless necessary since she was still working as my secretary.

I rubbed my temples before placing my arms on the table as I rested my head on them. Tiffany's words, saying that I was over-protective kept ringing in my head. She said that just because Sunmi alerted us about the information that she had overheard, it didn't mean that we couldn't proceed with our normal life. I knew that Tiffany could take care of herself well but won't it be better to always be careful.

Too much thinking was tiring me out. I was about to close my eyes when I heard a knock at my door.

"Come in." I just realised that my throat was dry as the voice that came out was hoarse. I coughed a little and looked up.

"Are you okay? You look pale." A worried-looking Tiffany approached my table as I nodded my head. A smile then appeared on my face as Tiffany placed her palm on my forehead. "No fever. That's good. Let's go for lunch then."

At that moment, I knew that Tiffany was no longer upset at me. Maybe I should try to be not so clingy on her from now on.