THIRTY NINE

Confession

Kai was busy tossing his ball while laying himself down on his bed. He was blowing his bangs when he heard his mother was sneezing roughly downstairs. Being worried, he rushed downstairs looking at his mother who was busy tidying up the gallery.

“Mum, you’re okay?” Kai asked.

“Excessive dust making my nose running.” She complained.

“Why are you being so hardworking?” Kai sighed, looking at his tough mother.

“Why don’t you come here and give a massage?” Mrs.Kim pleaded.

“Okay, Mum.” Kai blew his bangs and advancing himself towards his mother.

“Well, I have the urge to recall those memories back.” Mrs.Kim continued

Mrs.Kim took one of the album and flip through those pages. Kai simultaneously sat next to his mother, looking back towards his childhood.

“Recognize this cute little infant?” she giggles playfully.

“That’s me, Mum.” Kai rolled his eyes.

Mrs.Kim stopped at one of the pages, which also attracts Kai’s eyes. Mrs.Kim sighed.

“You were so, innocent. So lovable. So kind.” Mrs.Kim smiled, while looking at the picture.

It was him, and a little girl next to him at a birthday party, and both of them were holding hands.

“This girl was always with you. She always plays with you. She always help me doing chores to, saying that she’ll help me when she’s grown up. She is so pretty that I could not take my eyes off her.” Mrs.Kim praised.

“I wonder where she is right now. How she had been. I bet she is very much attractive right now.” Mrs.Kim sighed.

She’s indeed pretty, Mum. Kai nodded silently.

“I think she’s the same age as you right?”

“I guess,” Kai pretended to not remember her.

“You guess?” Mrs.Kim asked.

“I guess so, Mum.” Kai agreed.

“I remember when you were 3 you wanna be a pilot, cause you wanna take me fly around the world, then soon after that you want to be a doctor cause you don’t want me to die. When you’re about 6, you want to be an architect, so you can build a bigger house for us. And now you’re almost 20. You’re not the kid in the picture anymore. Where’s the little kid, son?” Mrs.Kim sighed, with a pool of tears in her eyes.

“Mum…..”


Ha Neul went to her aunty’s ddeokbokki shop, as it was a long time since she had visits her.

“Aunty!” she exclaimed.

“Oh, you’re here!” Jisun smiled.

“Being busy, huh?” Ha Neul asked.

“Not really, but recently the business went really well. A lot of corporate people came in and out.” Jisun nodded.

“Well, congratulations to you then.” Ha Neul smiled.

“Here,” Jisun throws a towel towards Ha Neul, which make her caught it by surprise.

“Go wash some dishes.” Jisun smirked.

“Oh, this is how you treat me, huh?” Ha Neul sighed.

While a few minutes flew with washing the dishes,

“Ha Neul, can you accompany me going to the bookstore, I want to buy some books.”

“This evening? Alright.”


At the Park’s mansion,

“Son, it is almost the end of the semester, aren’t you going to apply any college, or university?” Mrs.Park asked.

“I wanted to, and Baekhyun also invited me to return to States, but Dad’s condition..”

“Your Dad is getting better day by day and by the time it is time to enrol, he is all well.” Mrs.Park patted Chanyeol’s back.

“Hmm, are you sure?” Chanyeol asked for confirmation.

“I’m certainly sure.” Mrs.Park smiled.

“Thanks, Mum.”


Kai wore a black plain t-shirt with a white cardigan and sprayed his Polo perfume infront of the mirror. He put a little touch-ups on his hair, and yeah, he’s done.

“I’m done.” He smiled.

He ran down the stairs and bumped with his father, who just arrived from the office.

“Son, where are you going?” he asked, while untying his tie.

“Bookstore.” Kai muttered.

“Bookstore?”

Mr.Kim was shocked hearing Kai’s statement. His son was never interested in studying, especially books.

“Farewell, Dad.”

“Okay, son.” Mr.Kim stuttered.


Chanyeol was busy tidying up his cupboards,

“Woah, books from high school.” Chanyeol snickered to himself.

“Gotta keep myself updated.” Chanyeol smiled.


That evening, Ha Neul and her aunty arrived at the bookstore.

“So, I’ll be at the kitchen section. If I’m done, I’ll find you.” Jisun said.

“Okay, I’ll be searching some books too.” Ha Neul pointing to the Economics section.

“See you.”

Ha Neul walked through the section and took some books and check it out.

“Such a boring subject.” Ha Neul sighed.

“Look, look, who is here.”

Ha Neul turn up to see who’s voice does it belongs too.

“Actually, looks who’s SURPRISINGly here.” Ha Neul smirked.

“Woah. Ouch.” Kai snickered.

“What suddenly brings you here, Jong—Kai.”

“You may call me Jong In.” Kai smiled.

“Jong In, haha. Weird.” Ha Neul smiled, awkwardly.

“Well, I’m.. umm..  studying?” Kai showed the book in his hands, Economics Language.

“Wow, seriously, the Kim Jong In studying?” Ha Neul scoffed.

“Well, hmm. Remember when I say I want to be a pilot, doctor, or an architect?” Kai asked.

“When did you say it to me?” Ha Neul scratched her head, trying to recall some memories.

“When we.. umm.. 7? I guess.” Kai smiled, shamely.

“That’s when we were be—“

“Bestfriend.” Kai continued.

“Yeah, bestfriend.” Ha Neul said, nodding awkwardly.

“Well, maybe God sent something to me, make me wanna study and after all this holiday, everything that you said to me comes to make sense.” Kai admitted.

“So..?”

“Maybe I won’t be a pilot, or I won’t be a doctor, but I wanna be your friend.” Kai took out his hand for a handshake with Ha Neul.

“Oh Jong In, you’re back!” Ha Neul brings Kai into a tight hug.

“Woah, that was a surprise.” Kai reply the hug back.

It was a long hug, well, for a few seconds.

“Ehem.”

A sudden cough came to disrupt the hug.

“Chanyeol!” Ha Neul exclaimed.

“Hey, Yeol.” Kai greeted.

“Long time,” Chanyeol sighed.

“No see.” Kai continued.

Suddenly, Kai’s eyes blaze into competitiveness. He saw the jealousy in Chanyeol’s eyes. And he saw the nervousness in Ha Neul’s eyes, which shows that both of them are still in love. And he do not know why he is swept by the wave of anger.

While Chanyeol felt as if the nerves in his brain are contracting very hard that he might explode in anytime, seeing Ha Neul and Kai hugging without any reason that he knew.