THIRTY EIGHT

Confession

Kai went back home, being frustrated with everything that was happening around him. Ha Neul , Oxford and the incident at the café.  He wonders why everything goes wrong with him. Why everything seems to be a bad luck.

From: Junmyeon

U alrght?

At least it seems like Junmyeon understands what is happening.

To: Junmyeon

Do I look like I’m alright?

Kai sighed. It somehow feels like as if he wants to go to Oxford a bit soon, to live a new life.

From: Junmyeon

You look like you’re jealous,

Kai didn’t reply Junmyeon back, cause he knows that he might sounds fishy.


Chanyeol lay on his bed, staring at the empty gloomy ceiling.

“I should move on,” he thought.

He took his phone, clicking the gallery section and saw pictures of Ha Neul and him. He rewinds those moments back and ended up letting out a sigh.

He clicked back home and he clicked the contact section. Then, he scrolled down to Ha Neul’s number, where he named it, theotherhalf.

And he took a breath and changed it.

History.


The next morning, Kai ate toast with strawberry jam. He spread the jam carefully on the toast and took a bite for himself. The breakfast was a complete silence.

“When I will depart?” Kai broke the silence.

Mr.Kim was surprised to see his son was so concern for the thing that he hated the most at the moment.

“Why? Are you planning to run away?” Mr.Kim guessed.

“Be glad that I am being surprisingly concerned.” Kai murmured.

“Don’t worry, son. It’s going to be in a few weeks.” Mr.Kim laughed, out of the blue.

What is so funny? Kai rolled his eyes.


Ha Neul lay herself down comfortably on the leather couch, facing the television. She the television, and what luck that she have to see Chanyeol, the one she missed very much on the daily news.

The youngest entrepreneur of South Korea, Park Chanyeol is recognized as South Korea’s most successful bachelor in International Business and Economy Politics field. It is estimated that…”

Ha Neul did not realize that she was smiling to herself. She was proud of her fian.. friend. It has been long since she met him. After that incident, she did not have any contact with Chanyeol, and everything seems to be awkward.

“Missing him?” Mrs.Kang appeared.

“Hey, Mum.” Ha Neul sit up, letting her mother sitting next to her.

“He looks great, and good-looking too.” Mrs.Kang teased.

“Of course he does.” Ha Neul giggled.

“Well, it’s a bit of waste that you have to let him go.” Mrs.Kang sighed.

“Stop making regrets, Mum!” Ha Neul wailed, looking very annoyed with her mother.

“Aww, you seemed to love him, do you?” Mrs.Kang patted Ha Neul’s head.

“Well, I already accepted him, since he was a kind of one in a million guy, but the tragedy was not his fault okay!” Ha Neul complained.

“Sorry daughter. We were too late to stop you from falling in love with him.” Mrs.Kang smiled, regretfully.

“Thank you for that.” Ha Neul replied sarcastically.

“Not going to find any replacement?” Mrs.Kang asked.

“Replacement?” Ha Neul scratched her head.

Isn’t it too cruel to let someone who cares about you go? Does replacing someone without him knowing is a sin?

“Not in the time being, Mum.” Ha Neul stood up.

“Where are you going?” Mrs.Kang asked,

“Felt like going to the office.”

Or taking a fresh air at the garden.


Hye Ri was doing a part time job at a bubbletea shop near the Gangnam district. It seems like forever to wait for her applicant to be accepted by the KCorp family. It is just a salesgirl after all. Why is it so hard to accept a perfect girl like her, she thought.

“Ice caramel latte please,”

An order destructed her daydream. She sighed in despair. She blew her bangs off and started to make the order. She drizzled some caramel and served the order.

“Ice caramel latte for $4.50 sir.” She said as she hands the receipt.

A daily routine with $46.5 per hour is quite okay, isn’t it?

As the shift ended, of course, the boy in love comes and fetch her back home.

“How’s work?” Jimin asked cheerfully.

“Just like always.”

At the first few days after she got the job,  she was splurting a lot of exciting stories that even Jimin had to admit that he was tired after hearing it. But, days flew, everything seems to be normal and there is nothing unusual to be informed of.  

After the long walk, Hyeri’s eyes caught something fancy.  It was a Sunset Yellow blouse, with a floral design and a price tag which eventually hurts her eyes.

“How can something simple be so expensive like jewelleries.” She murmured.

“Find it pretty huh?” Jimin nudged Hyeri’s shoulder.

“Just simple. Simple.” Hyeri lied.

In fact, she could not pull her eyes off the blouse. But it was so expensive that she have to forget her dreams to own the blouse.

“Yeah right.” Jimin whispered, smiling softly towards Hyeri.

“Let’s go!” Hyeri pulled Jimin and drag him to the bus station.


As both of them bid farewell, it was 10 in the evening. Jimin went back home, hearing his father blabbering that doesn’t make him wants to hear it.

“Jimin! Where have you been? You are supposed to…. JIMIN!!”

But Jimin just drag his footsteps towards his room.

“Dad, it is not even midnight.” Jimin muttered, weakly and went into his room.

He changed into his pyjamas and buried himself on his bed. He took the calendar on his dressing table, and counting down the days towards Hyeri’s birthday.

“There’s still enough time to collect some money,” Jimin smiled, and close his eyes, going deep down into his dream.


Ha Neul sat on a swing with an ice cream in her hand.  She swung herself softly and she was quite enjoying the nature. And it was evening, where people were busy getting off from their offices. Ha Neul laughed. She wonders how it will be when she was one of the workers. Maybe she won’t experience it, since she will be treated like a princess, the heiress of KCorp. People were lining up for cabs. People were rushing towards the subway, and some of them were just taking a deep breath of the air, despite the sound pollution of the cars honking each other, describing the busy city of Seoul.

A few years back, she remembered that she and Jongin often visit the convenience store, with Jongin’s maid to buy a tub of vanilla ice cream, or sometimes it would be strawberry.

Ha Neul reminisce the moment back when she accidentally fell of the exact same swing that she was sitting right at the moment. Jong In would rush to the pharmacy with his small steps, and brought her back the -pastel adult-like plaster which Ha Neul despised the most. Ha Neul always wanted a pink floral plaster, which sometimes made Jongin annoyed and made him just slam the plaster on the bleeding scar of Ha Neul, which results to a loud wailed from the small petite little Ha Neul.

Jongin would sometime be the knight in shining armor, when he bring his toy gun together with him, and sometimes Ha Neul would be the fairy godmother when she brings her magic wand with her. They would sing their own song, reading their own chant, protecting each other.

Being a child was so fun, until Jong In moved out, leaving Ha Neul alone, being an outcast at the neighbourhood.

Back to reality, Ha Neul realized that she always want the old Jong In back.