Chapter 29

Average Me

After school, I headed straight to the canteen, but without Yeon Joo. She needed to meet her form teacher and I decided to just stay back to wait for her. I just had to wait for 30 mins. It's not really long, right? 

Apparently, everyone was leaving the canteen and the area was starting to be less crowded. In this case, it wasn't unusual. I'm sure that it's due to the finals exam which is approaching, hence they all went back to study. But here I am slacking somehow. I needed a break, like really.
 
I laid my head on the surface of the table as I rotated my phone multiple times with one of my hands.  I guessed I spent a minute staring at my phone and I was wondering if I'm really wasting my time on this. 
 
I sat up straight and looked at my front to just see students strolling around with their friends. That's when I happen to see Luhan again. He was with Sehun and Suho. Luhan looked a little pale and I just recalled about how furious I was yesterday. I didn't want to stare at him but I still did, unknowingly. I guessed I was spent a couple of second with my eyes looking at him as Suho suddenly noticed me. 
 
"Hello, Hyo Jin!" Suho smiled with waving.
 
I slowly turned to him and gave a small smile at least. I wasn't really in the mood to smile actually. 
 
I noticed Luhan slightly turning to see me and I looked away immediately even though we did not make any eye contact. 
 
"Let's...Let's just go." I heard Luhan speaking softly but I could hear his voice. Sehun placed his hand on Luhan's shoulder and looked at him with concern. 
 
Sehun turned to me and gave a faint smile. I didn't know how I should react, so I just remained with a normal expression. I looked at the three of them just walking pass silently and sighed softly. 
 
The canteen was really quiet when everybody has left. I checked my phone and discovered that only five minutes has passed. Time is really going slow now, isn't it? I scanned around the area and spotted a bench not far away. I decided to move there instead of being in the school canteen.
 
It wasn't really sunny today and I wanted to inhale the fresh air. That was why I moved here. I tilted my head up to look at the clear blue sky. There wasn't any signs of dark clouds so I assumed that it was not going to pour.
 
I inhaled and exhaled, replaying whatever happened today. But my mind suddenly went off to play the incident months ago. 
 
No matter how many times I tried to stop my brain to recall this incident, it never works. But I have been training myself to hold back the tears. I might not be crying but my heart is. I'm like crying internally, just that I don't show it out. Just that if I accidentally recalled the incident until I could remember every single detail, I might just burst out in tears. 
 
It's scary. It's too scary that it got me crying. I was just afraid that this incident will not come again in the future. I really hope not. Really. 
 
Since then, I thought that every person that was out to bully me or harm me, will actually kill me eventually. I know you might think this is a little weird but this is my secret. 
 
Yeon Joo has been helping me. She told me not to be afraid of them, but I'm still scared of them.
 
I thought I could lead a normal life once again after Luhan left. I was heartbroken at that time but I managed to get over it. And that incident, well, I attempted countless times to forget it. 
 
I was near forgetting everything but he came back again. Why? 
 
He said he missed me? I don't like him anymore. And once again, he lied to me. This time, I'm not going to forgive him.
 
I was so deep in my own thoughts while I was staring at the sky that I did not notice my surroundings at all, even when someone sat beside me.
 
"Hey." I heard and I turned to my left.
 
I saw a familiar figure staring at me. 
 
"Oh hi. What are you doing here?" I was glad that I was able control my tears just now, or else I would have looked really ridiculous.
 
"Waiting for Jongin." Kyungsoo grinned, " He's talking to his friends."
 
"Oh. I'm waiting for Yeon Joo." I replied while trying to force a smile out.
 
Kyungsoo stared for a second before continuing, "You look stressed."
 
I nodded, "I am. Finals, you know?"
 
"Same. But for you, not only that right?" he asked with a soft tone.
 
I couldn't lie. It wasn't only the exams.
 
I nodded without speaking and Kyungsoo's lips turned into a frowned straightaway.
 
"Mind sharing what happened? Maybe you will feel better." he spoke with his brown orbs staring at me.
 
I didn't really want to say this but then maybe I might really feel a little better.
 
"You saw what happened that day right?" I asked while looking afar.
 
"When Luhan hyung and you quarreled?" he asked while sitting up straight.
 
I nodded slowly. "I got a bit out of control that day. I didn't want to yell but he lied again."
 
"Lied?" Kyungsoo asked curiously.
 
"Well, it's a long story." I tapped my fingers on my phone cover as I stated.
 
"It's alright. I'm willing to listen." he beamed warmly and I looked at him while returning a tiny smile.
 
"Actually, I didn't know Luhan hyung dated you." Kyungsoo stated with a low voice.
 
"I didn't even know you were one of his good friends." I replied while swaying my feet back and forth.
 
"Well, actually the reason why we broke up is because of an incident." I paused to sigh before proceeding on. 
 
"I didn't know Luhan already had a girlfriend. Yet he dated me." 
 
"Wait...Hyung...had a girlfriend before he dated you?" Kyungsoo's eyes widened.
 
I looked at him and blinked once and twice.
 
"You...you don't know that?" I asked him, a little surprised.
 
"No. I don't know that." he shook his head.
 
" Did you suspect it?" I questioned.
 
"I guessed kind of. He didn't really hang out with us often for a certain length of time." Kyungsoo spoke as he thought.
 
I sighed before continuing, "I just didn't know he already had a girlfriend. And one day, his girlfriend came up to me and she..."
 
My voice and hands were shaking a little when I thought of it again. Kyungsoo noticed it and asked me with concern, "Are you okay?"
 
I nodded quickly so that he didn't have to worry. "She actually tried to...killed me."
 
Kyungsoo's eye widened again as he looked at me with shocked.
 
"And I almost died." I looked up to see the sky and inhaled a deep breath,  trying to hold back any tears that are on the verge of falling.
 
"I then saw Luhan running to her. He didn't realise the person that was being harmed was me. He realised afterwards but didn't help me. Instead, he ran away with her girlfriend in order to prevent her from getting caught. Ever since what happened, Luhan still insisted that he had already broken up with that girl before he dated me but I knew he was lying " I quickly explained before being interrupted by any falling tears.
 
I guessed Kyungsoo saw my eyes turning watery. He bit his lips and looked at me.
 
"I'm trying to forget it. But I can't. The incident was so scary. I..." I paused a bit and Kyungsoo patted my back.
 
"Don't think about it anymore. Calm down." Kyungsoo comforted me and I tried to take deep breaths.
 
"Stay here. I will get you a drink." Kyungsoo stood up and I nodded.
 
After 5 minutes, Kyungsoo wasn't back yet. I glanced around the area and he was nowhere to be seen at all. The vending machine was like a few metres away but he was taking a little long. This seemed a little unusual. 
 
I felt a vibration coming from my phone and I looked at my phone screen. 
 
Yeon Joo: Where are you?
 
I looked at my phone again and surveyed the area to see if Kyungsoo was in sight but he wasn't.
 
You: I will meet you at the school gate. 
 
I stood up from the bench and looked around but I still couldn't find Kyungsoo.
 
"Why are you looking for me?" I heard a male voice out of a sudden.
 
It wasn't far away. It was coming from a pretty near distance.
 
I was about to walk past there but when I saw Jongin, I immediately went hiding behind a wall. I was uncertain of what I was even doing.
 
"Can't you help me, oppa?" I heard a female voice.
 
I peeped a little to see Jongin and a female student not far away. I wonder who that student is. I squinted my eyes to look at the girl and realised that she seem really familiar.
 
"Just give up. We aren't helping you. Didn't Sehun warned you the last time to stop looking for any of us?" Jongin spoke in a firm tone.
 
The female student looked up at Jongin and wasn't replying. She actually seemed familar. I think she was the student I accidentally bumped into.
 
"Jongin-ah, did you call me earlier? I couldn't find- What the hell are you doing here?" I heard another voice and turned to peep again.
 
It's Kyungsoo.
 
"Oppa. Can you forgive me?" The female turned to Kyungsoo and asked. 
 
"It's over between us." he stated to the student and I grew a little confused. 
 
"Oppa, just give me a chance..." She grabbed onto Kyungsoo's hand.
 
"Let go off me!" Kyungsoo shouted furiously at her and I slightly jumped up. I have never see him this angry before.
 
Seeing how the situation was, I decided to leave the area and sent a message to Kyungsoo.
 
You: I have to go. See you tomorrow:)
 
What just happened earlier?