Chapter 17

Average Me

I stepped into the train and glanced around my surroundings. It's relatively crowded in here somehow. Urgh. I hate how cramped it is currently. The whole train was just filled to the brim and I kind of successfully squeezed my way through so that I could move in to the other side. But thank goodness the next station will be where many passengers alight from. Hence, I just needed to bear being squeezed here for a few minutes and I will be able to breathe again later on. It was rather hot in the train as well. I was lucky that I wasn't clad in my long-sleeved dress or else I might be fainting anytime soon. I fished out the cream-vanilla coloured invitation card and opened it. The concert starts in the evening and here I am in the train ready to go there when it's only in the afternoon. No, I was just joking. I was just heading to the mall nearby the venue for lunch since it's lunchtime and I did not want to stay at home the whole day. It's not a school day so why not take a break then? 

The train approached the next station and many passengers alighted. I feel like I could breathe again. There were seats in the train but I just felt like standing. The train was much more spacious now. As I rested my head on the metal pole just nearby, I watched the train door close before moving off. I took a quick look at the train map and discovered there were still so many stops. I thought I could kill time by just observing my surroundings as my eyes start to wander, starring at passengers nearby. I guessed ten minutes passed and I moved my hand so that I could see the time on my watch. Dammit. Only two minutes passed. Oh. I'm getting really bored. Can this train just hurry up so I can reach my destination and eat my lunch? I'm hungry somehow as well.

Doors opened and a couple of passengers alighted while a few entered. Wow. Up to now, I have been staring into space the whole time. Just wow. I finally decided to just listen to some music on my phone. Wait a minute. I had a phone? Oh yes, I do have a phone and I bring it with me everywhere I go. What was I doing earlier on when I could just use my mobile phone to look at Facebook status updates by friends about life, new tweets on Twitter or maybe even pictures of food on Instagram? Okay, minus the pictures of food on Instagram. I don't feel like looking at photos of food now. It will definitely make me even more hungry. I let out a sigh as I took out my white earpiece from my slingbag and plugged it into my phone. I pressed the play button on the screen and put on my earpiece. A song started as the music was played to my ears. Many others love to hum or sing softly as they listen to their favourite song playing through their earpieces or headphones but I won't. Like I said before, I had a terrible voice and I was sure nobody wants to hear it. Therefore, I just kept my mouth shut as I closed my eyes, hearing the voice of the singer through my earpiece. But the word 'singing' just reminded me of Kyungsoo and memories brought me back to that incident again at the library. I gripped my slingbag tightly as I looked at my brown flats at the thought of it. Remembering how fast my heartbeat accelerated at that point in time and recalling that moment, I let out a slightly small smile. Wait. Am I smiling? I'm so weird, I guess.

Further thoughts were interrupted when I felt someone pulled the earpiece on my right ear off. I realised that now the music from my phone was only playing to my left ear through my earpiece. Oh gosh! Which random stranger is playing a prank on me now by pulling my earpiece off? I sighed first and took my other earpiece first before looking up.

"Excuse m- Wait. What are you doing here?" I questioned when I looked up and saw the male in front of me. I was not expecting to see him here. Plus, the piano concert was still hours away. 

"You should share your earpiece. You know?" Luhan replied with a slight grin as he held to one side of my earpiece, tilting his head sideways.

Argh. I was listening to one of my most replayed songs on my playlist and it was being interrupted. Just great. Wonderful.

"My favourite singer is singing and you just went to pull my earpiece off?" I rolled my eyes and continued. Luhan stared at me and pretended to be upset.

"I thought your favourite singer is me." He looked away and I stared at him with my mouth slightly open. When since did I say that?

"When did I say that?" I questioned with a confused look on. I was positive that I have never ever stated that. I don't recall it. This guy must be joking.

"Ever since we..." he paused and I continue to look at him, waiting for an answer. Luhan pressed his lips together, his eyes darting to me then to the floor. "Never mind. Forget it. You never said that." He took a deep breath and continued.

It seemed like he is lying but I wasn't sure. I stretched my hand out and gestured for him to return my earpiece back but he shook his head, refusing persistently.

"How about sharing your earpiece instead?" Luhan suggested as I put on my other earpiece again. Okay, I give up. This persistent guy will never ever return my earpiece back to me though. I nodded my head and he replied with his signature smile.

 

Minutes later, the train door opened and I moved my feet. 

"This station, right?" I asked and Luhan chuckled. 

"One more stop, stupid." He joked and I threw him a glare. Did he just call me stupid? How dare he...

"Repeat what you just called me." I instructed and folded my arms as Luhan gave me a teasing smile.

"你真是太笨了。“ He replied and I stared at him, trying to comprehend what the hell he just said. I don't understand chinese.

(A/N: My chinese comes in here lmao. Just to translate, it roughly means 'you are really stupid'. Hehe.)

"Did you just call me stupid again?" I made a guess and he gave me a look, as if what I said was unbelievable.

"Genius. As expected from Park Hyo Jin. And yeah, I called you stupid." Luhan admitted and I snatched my earpiece back from him.

In a few minutes, we reached the next station and I exited quickly out of the train before the stupid guy could catch up with me. Yes, I just called him stupid in my mind as well. I wasn't mad at him. Of course, I knew he was joking.

 

                                                                            _________________________________________

 

I spent almost the whole day with Luhan. We ate our lunch and dinner together and walked around together. Time passes so quickly and it was evening time. The piano concert starts in a few more hours  but we kind of got bored. Thus, Luhan suggested we should head to the location first and I thought that it was a really stupid idea. I mean like, do you want to wait over there for a couple of hours before the event even start? Instead of standing outside the concert hall, maybe staring at the wall, we could just walk in the mall. Seriously... Stupid guy has such stupid ideas and stupid suggestions. How many times have I mentioned the word 'stupid'? I lost count but whatever. But stupid me went to agree with him. My mouth and brain might not be coordinating together today. Urgh. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

 

"Oh look! They did not lock the door." Luhan commented as he attempted to pull the door leading to the concert hall. 

So Luhan and I arrived at the venue many hours before the concert start and I'm just giving Luhan a weird look, figuring out what the heck he was trying to do. Luhan slightly open the door and I peeped, getting an overview of the grand concert hall. 

"Let's go in!" Luhan continued. What in the world was he trying to do? Sneak in? 

"We aren't suppose to go in!" I whispered to Luhan, loud enough for him to hear. Luhan just let a small grin and glanced around our surroundings. I turned behind and did the same. There wasn't anybody nearby. Before I could even turn back, Luhan pulled my arm and brought me into the hall quickly before closing the door.

"What are you trying to do?" I questioned with the volume of my voice a little high.

"Have fun. Like secretly coming in." he replied. What did he seriously want to do?

"And stop looking at me like that." he added on and I tore my eyes away from him. I did not know I was staring at him.

I glanced around. Surprisingly, there's nobody around. With my eyes wandering around, I noticed my favourite instrument at the stage. The most important thing needed: the piano. How could you start a piano concert without a piano? I trailed towards the instrument. It felt like I was attracted to the piano. Oh. I just remembered I have not played the piano in donkey's years. I walked up the steps to the stage as Luhan followed behind. 

I pressed on the middle C key and the sound I wanted was produced from the piano. Oh gosh. You have exactly no idea how much I really missed playing the piano. I sat on the piano chair as Luhan sat next to me. There was a little bit of distance between us so it was pretty alright. 

"You should play a song now. Since you have a chance now." Luhan suggested and I nodded my head in agreement. I placed both my hands on the keys and told a deep breath. I was not sure if my piano skills are kind of rusty but still I'm going to play a song. I played Fur Elise, one of my favourite pieces, and I started off well. I don't think I forgot anything about playing this piece. I had a small smile throughout playing the piece. So far no mistakes, I'm glad. Luhan was giving me his angelic smile the entire time as I played. After I played the last few notes, I smiled in satisfacation. Satisfied that I could play without making any mistakes. I was about to get up from my seat when Luhan inched closer and pecked my right cheek softly. My eyes widened at his sudden action. Like always, I don't know what to do next.

"That's your reward for playing so perfectly." Luhan said with a bright smile.

That was not necessary...Applause will do...What is this now? What does this mean? I opened my mouth but no words were coming out. I can't look at Luhan directly now. I will feel really weird. This was pretty much similar to the incident of Kyungsoo but I realised my heart was not beating as fast as last time. I tried to speak again but before I could, I heard the concert door opening.

"Don't speak now. Let's go!" Luhan quickly pulled me and we ran, finding somewhere to hide.

When we managed to find a good hiding spot near the seats, I slowly moved my head up to peep. I spotted a guy at the door doing a quick glance around the concert hall. I assumed he is a security guard or something like that. When he suddenly faced my directly, I shot my head back down, accidentally hitting the seat in front of me.

"You caused so much trouble!" I whisper-shouted at Luhan as I massaged the area I hit. Luhan just giggled and ruffled my hair.

"I'm sorry." he apologised and I sighed. My mind still thinking about earlier on. Now thanks to Luhan, I have another thought that is going to occupy my mind completely when I study. Kyungsoo and now him. 

 

                                                     ______________________________________________________

 

It was pretty late at night and there wasn't many passengers in the train. The piano concert ended two hours ago and I was craving for some frozen yoghurt so I went to get some. Now, it's so late that I was getting really lethargic due to how tired I was.

The train is really empty. There were like two-three passengers nearby as Luhan and I entered. Luhan sat on a seat and I just stand in front of him. 

"Why don't you sit? You look really tired." Luhan remarked and I exhaled more like sighing.

"No I- AH!" I kind of screamed when the train jerked a little out of a sudden. I lost my balance and was about to fall on the person who was in front of me: Luhan. He quickly grabbed hold of my arms, preventing me from falling. My heart was now beating faster. I don't know if it's because I almost fell or was it because I'm so near Luhan. I mean we were really close now. I stared into Luhan's brown eyes and he did the same.

"I told you to sit down." Luhan spoke and I quickly stood up properly. I bit my bottom lip and sat on the seat just next to him. Now I have so many thoughts that are going to occupy my mind. Oh gosh. But I was too fatigue to think of anything else. My eyelid got a little heavy and I closed my eyes.

Before I completely dozed off, I felt myself lying on someone's shoulder. 

"I'm sorry, Hyo Jin."

"And I missed you." I heard from the familiar voice. 

I was too tired to even think about who said it and what it meant, hence I dozed off, eventually forgetting about it.

 


 

A/N: Subscribe, comment, or maybe upvote if you like it! :D