Chapter 1

Average Me

"Class, I will now be announcing which class some of you will be changing to for the next term." Your teacher announced.

It is this transfering-to-another-class-for-the-next-term thing once again. Your school always have this going on every term. You have no idea why is there a need to change class every term. Maybe your school wants you to make more friends and bring out the social butterfly in you. But you usually don't really care about this changing class thing because it always results in you staying in your same class with a few of your classmates, other classmates being transferred out to other class and new students joining in. You have never been once transferred out to other classes and you never wanted to. You rather just stay in the same class that you are always in. Back to what's happening now.

Your teacher announced the name of students that are changing class as well as their respective classes. Your teacher finally finished announcing.  Like you predicted beforehand, you are not changing class at all. 

 

Time flies and it is already the end of school. As you were about to go to your best friend's, Yeon Joo, desk, a number of classmates pushed you and ran towards the most popular girl in your class.

"You are changing class, right? We are going to be in the same class as you! We could be like together forever!"

That made you think a bit. Having lots of friends is an advantage of being popular, you guessed. You do not really like being popular and you never ever thought of being popular. You always considered yourself 'average' and have a low popularity. You do not have a large number of friends or fans like other students do(because they are popular). You just lead your life like a student like others do. 

 

"Hyo Jin! We won't be in the same class! I'm changing to class 10!" Yeon Joo sighed.

"Don't worry! We will still be able to interact often. You forgot, we are neighbours, we always go home together everyday!" You comforted Yeon Joo as you put your arms over her shoulder.

Yeon Joo smiled a bit as a reply to you. You then walked back home together with her as both of you are neighbours.

 

                                                                                        _____________________________________

 

It is the next day of school and also a new semester. You walked to school together with Yeon Joo.

"Time to go to our classrooms. See you during recess!" Yeon Joo waved to me and you did the same.

 

The teacher was already in the classroom to take attendance. You walked up to the teacher and gave her your name.

"Good morning. My name is Park Hyo Jin."

"Park Hyo Jin? Your name is not on the list. You might have mistaken which class you are in. This is class 9."

"My teacher told me that my class is class 9 though..." You replied feeling confused.

"Hyo Jin?"

You turned around to see your teacher from last semester.

"Sorry Hyo Jin. Yesterday, I just found out that you are supposed to be in class 10 not class 9. There was an error in the list I read out so it did not include that you are supposed to be in class 10."

"Oh. It's okay. Thank you, teacher."

After talking to your teacher, you left the classroom and headed towards class 10. You thought about this class changing thing for a while. "Why is there a need to change classes every term? Why can't we just stay in the same class?  And lastly, why must I change class? I want to be in my original class." You mumbled to yourself. You have all these questions in your mind. You felt annoyed and irritated but felt a bit delighted at the same time when you know that you are going to be in the same class as your best friend. That was a pro and of course, there are cons. Your mind was too tired to think after waking up a bit late today so you decided to stop thinking about this whole class change process. 

 

"Good morning teacher. My name is Park Hyo Jin."

"Oh okay. Park Hyo Jin. Sit anywhere you would like."

You looked around and spotted an empty sit next to Yeon Joo.

You quietly put your bag down and sat next to Yeon Joo. Yeon Joo was unaware of her surroundings as she was too engrossed in reading a book.

"Surprise!"

"OMG! Who are- Hyo Jin? What are you doing here?"

"Be glad and treat me to lunch today! Because we are going to be table mates and I'm your classmate."

"Really? What happened?"

After explaining to Yeon Joo what happened, she started to flash a bright smile at you.

"Stop smiling like that. You look like a weirdo." You replied giggling away.

 

You and Yeon Joo chatted for a bit and suddenly four handsome-looking boys entered the classroom. Wow, you did not realise that every girl's "fangirl mode" was activated. Including Yeon Joo but you were not fangirling because to begin with, you were just thinking " Who the heck are they?"

"Hey! What's wrong with you, Yeon Joo?" You asked while hitting your best friend's head lightly, feeling disgusted at how she fangirls.

"Ouch! Hyo Jin! I should be asking you that question, what's wrong with you?" Yeon Joo replied feeling irritated as she put her hands on her hips.

"Who are they? Seriously, must you be like this? Fangirling like "AHHHH! OMG! LOOK AT WHO IS HERE???!!!"? " You imitated the way Yeon Joo fangirl while Yeon Joo gave you a glare.

"Your imitation . Don't you know who they are? Wait, oh. I forgot you are never into the popular kids. They are the popular clique, EXO. Everybody loves them, including me but maybe not you. And they are in the same class as you. Can you believe it? I feel like I won the jackpot or something like that! I'm so happy I'm in this class! OMG! Is this a dream? Hyo Jin, pinch me! I need to wake up!"

"Gosh! You talk so much!" You replied as you pinched Yeon really hard on her cheeks.

"OMG! Stop! Must you pinch so hard? Plus, it's not a dream! Good news!" Yeon Joo exclaimed.

 

After the conversation between you and Yeon Joo, the four boys took their attendance already and were already finding a place to sit. The four are definitely good friends, so you assumed they wanted to sit with each other. There were already a few students that were inviting them to sit next to them.

"Should I invite them as well?" Yeon Joo asked.

Before you could reply her, the four boys walked nearer to your table and were already about to fix their decision on their seating arrangement. You turned around and realised that there were four empty seats behind you. 

"OH! Hyo Jin, they are sitting behind us! OMG!"

The four boys sat down and put down their bags. Wow, they were really sitting behind you.

"Yeon Joo is going to be fangirling everday, screaming and shouting until my ears burst or something like that." You spoke to yourself and sighed.

"You think I can't hear what you said?"

"Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I think you can't hear what I said."

 

"Welcome to a brand new term, class! First things first, where you all are sitting now will be your permanent seat for the whole semester."

You turned around to see the four boys and when you looked in front, there were students that were already envious of you and Yeon Joo.

After a long introduction from your teacher and settling all the admin matters with the class, it was already recess time. 

When you and Yeon Joo were about to head to the cafeteria, one of the four boys from behind popped up in front of you.

"Going to recess?"

You gave a chance to Yeon Joo for her to reply, but she was overly happy to the fact that she was just staring at the boy in front of her. You then decided to reply instead.

"Yeah. Why?"

"Oh. Well, since you all are in front of us, we thought that we joined you two for recess and have a bit of classmate bonding maybe? We don't want to have two classmate in front of us not knowing us well enough." The boy said. Well, you were guessing if he is the leader of the clique because the other members were just following him the whole time just now.

"Well, we always have this classmate bonding thing with the classmates sitting near us. You know? Making friends? Don't you think we are really friendly?" Another boy added on.

"S...Su...Sure. Shall we have recess together then? The people sitting beside you all the time must be pretty lucky." Yeon Joo finally spoke.

"Alright! Let's go then!" the leader guy replied and winked at both of you.

You cover Yeon Joo's mouth before she starts to fangirl one more time which actually starts to get on your nerves. Both of you then followed the four boys behind.