Chapter 12

Average Me

Your vision was getting blurred. It must be the tears. They were on the verge of falling out. 

You lowered your head down and the ends of your hair slowly laid down on the pages of the textbook.

Very soon, you had your head down, your brown hair covering the side of your face

You tried your best to prevent your tears from rolling down. But to no avail, a tear escaped, followed by another.

You silently cried, hoping no one will hear you and no one will notice you.

The hot tears started to flow down one by one, slowly dripping and wetting the pages on your textbook.

You did not know why you are even crying in the first place.

Don't Yeon Joo like Chanyeol? 

I don't have feelings for Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo is my friend. What's wrong with me?

I don't like him. I don't like him. I don't like him. You repeated these words in your head but it was not helping anything.

" I must be jealous." You mumbled to yourself and swallowed the lump in your throat.

You felt your heart shattered into pieces.

Tears still continued to roll down your cheeks. You could not take it any longer.

Hyo Jin. You are stupid. Why are you crying? You don't like him. You quickly wiped your tears but these stupid tears were still continuously falling out.

 

You did not realise that Yeon Joo happened to pass by your classroom.

Yeon Joo looked through the window and her eyes fixed at you.

One word was written all over her face: guilty.

Yeon Joo pinched her lips. She could not stand seeing you being like that.

"I'm sorry, Hyo Jin. " She whispered softly and walked off.

 

Luhan noticed that you had your head down the entire time and he lowered his volume, loud enough for only you to hear.

"Hyo Jin. What are you doing?"

I don't want anyone to talk to me now. So please, Luhan, don't talk to me.

You needed to answer him or else, he will think that something is wrong. He knows you well.

You cleared your throat and spoke softly, " I'm reading." 

Your head was still lowered down, hair still covering the side of your face. Luhan still does not know what was happening.

"You don't read like that. I'm sure."

"The words are too small. I can't see." You gave one of the most stupidest explanations ever,

Luhan looked at his textbook and continued, " The font size is so big. Wait, Hyo Jin, are you crying?"

He noticed?

"I...I...I'm not." you denied, closing your eyes.

"You can't lie to me, Park Hyo Jin." Luhan stated, "What happened to you?"

"I'm crying because I feel stupid for not knowing how to solve this mathematics problem." You gave another stupid explanation.

Luhan frowned and sighed. He did not know what to do. He knew that you were lying.

Luhan, don't speak to me now.

As if he could read your mind, he really did stop talking to you.

You did not want anybody to talk to you. You needed some time to think.

You have to be thankful that Luhan kept his voice down the entire time, otherwise the whole class would have knew what happened.

Nobody except Luhan knows that you are crying. Sehun does not know. Suho does not know. Kai does not know. Even Kyungsoo does not know.

I'm starting the first day of the term weeping. You thought as you wiped a tear off your cheeks.

You still don't know the exact reason for shedding tears.

Crying because you were happy that Yeon Joo is finally dating? That could not be the reason. These weren't tears of joy. Your heart was aching. How could you be over the moon when you are in emotional pain? 

More tears fell as you thought about this more.

Hyo Jin. Stop thinking about this.

 

Fast forward. You managed to survive the first day of the term in school. Half of your mind was focusing, the other half was thinking about the incident earlier. 

You did not feel like talking to anyone. You want time alone. And of course, you don't want to see either Yeon Joo or Kyungsoo. 

I will just go back alone.

You were about to move to the exit of the school when a figure stopped in front of you.

You did not want to see this person.

"Where are you going?"

"Home." You avoided eye contact and tried to move to your left but this person wasn't letting you move off.

"Lee Yeon Joo. Don't. Block. Me." You calmly spoke.

"Can I talk to you for a while?" Yeon Joo requested as you folded your arms.

"Don't you have to meet your boyfriend?" You tried to stay as calm as possible.

"Please, Hyo Jin. Let me talk to you." Yeon Joo pleaded. From the look from her face, you could tell that she had something important to say. 

"Fine. Speak. I give you 5 minutes." You glanced at your watch and looked at Yeon Joo.

"You see, Hyo Jin. Firstly, I need you to look at your calendar."

"So you want me to take note the day you and Kyungsoo got together? Okay then." Yeon Joo just stayed quiet as you took out your phone from your pocket.

You pressed the button on your phone to view the date.

Wait a minute.

April Fool's Day?

Yeon Joo, you got to be kidding me. So this is a prank?

"So this is just a prank?" You asked to clarify and Yeon Joo nodded in response.

Your clenched your fist and you thought your blood vessels were about to burst but you were just thinking too much.

So this Yeon Joo was playing around?

Your blood was boiling and you felt your face was turning red. You could have gave Yeon Joo a tight slap right at that moment but you managed to cool yourself down. To add on, you did want to create a scene in school with a crowd of students gathered, taking pictures or videos of you fighting and upload it to social media platforms.

Hyo Jin, violence won't solve the problem. It will make the matter worse. Don't even think about kicking or yanking of hair.

"Why did you do this?" You put your hands on your hips and waited for a valid answer to come out of Yeon Joo's mouth.

"Hyo Jin, I was helping you to realise your true feelings."

Helping me?

"So this is your method of helping? You go to such an extent to help me?"  

You thought about it and realised that you still like Kyungsoo after all. If not, why were you crying?

"Okay. You know what? Thank you, Yeon Joo. I finally realised my true feelings. Yes, I still like him." you sighed and continued.

"But, this isn't a fun thing to play with." you pointed to your heart and Yeon Joo looked at her shoes.

So the whole time, I was crying for no reason at all. You bit your lips and glared at Yeon Joo, waiting for her to speak.

Looking at her, you knew she had something else to say as well.

"Speak or I'm going. Anyway, 5 minutes already gone by." you glanced at your watch and waited.

"Hyo Jin. I also went to spread your secret." Yeon Joo cleared and finally spoke.

Your eyes widened when you heard what Yeon Joo said.

"Yeon Joo, you are amazing." You sarcastically commented and clapped your hands slowly, "Why did you do that?"

"I was helping you! I said it was for your benefit because I thought they could help as well!"

"Who is the 'they'?" You questioned, looking straightly into Yeon Joo's eyes.

"Only Suho, Baekhyun and Sehun. Maybe they told Chanyeol and Kai..." Yeon Joo admitted.

"Kyungsoo?" You asked and Yeon Joo shook her head quickly.

"How did you get Kyungsoo to do this prank with you?" you questioned again.

"I just told him if he wanted to do a prank for fun. He asked why and I said that I wanted to see all of your reactions, whether or not you were tricked. But I did not knew you will..." Yeon Joo stopped and looked down again.

"Yeon Joo. I know you are trying to help but you should not do a so-called prank like this. It's not a joke. You are like..." you stopped to think how you should say this and continued, "betraying me. You were never like this before."

"I"m sorry. Please forgive me." Yeon Joo apologised as she looked up, " I will make sure the others won't spread out your secret."

"Appology accepted." you sighed and gave a slight smile.

Yeon Joo's eyes lightened up upon hearing the 2 words. 

"Really?" she asked in disbelief and gave a grin. You nodded and Yeon Joo followed you as you walked back home.

So in conclusion, I still like Kyungsoo after all.