Chapter 2

Time Machine: What could've been...

Future Timeline 2

“Xiao Kai!”

A younger boy yells while running to catch up. When he finally gets caught up to the older boy, the upper-class bullies who were chasing after them were getting closer and closer. “What do we do? We can’t outrun them,” He says breathlessly.

“My house is closer to where we are now. I guess we have no other choice, but to-”

“No, we can’t do that!” The younger boy interrupts. “You know the reason they’re chasing us is because they want to see your mother’s time machine. We can’t just give into those kids now; they’ve been pushing us around for years. Is your dad home? Maybe he can use his martial arts, wushu action to scare them off!”

“Nah, my dad’s busy filming a movie. Plus, he doesn’t even use his martial arts to fight people. Sure it looks cool and all, but only on TV.” Xiao Kai replies. “I think we have no other choice today. My mom’s at a theoretical physics conference today, so I can just show those bullies what they want to see….and maybe they’ll never bother us again…?”

“Ha! Yeah, and we’ll all become best friends” The younger boy replies sarcastically.

“They won’t actually do anything. They just want to see it. That’s all.” Xiao Kai responds nervously. “I mean, what’s the worst that could happen? One of us gets sent back in time with no way of coming back?”

The two boys look at each other with uncertainty in their eyes as the bullies finally reach them….

 

Present Day

 

“Geez, I thought you weren’t coming with me today, Fei. Couldn’t resist seeing Lay?” Yue says while grinning. The two girls were walking through the crowd of fans to get in line for the fansigning.

“Uh, no” Fei replies. “My professor unexpectedly got sick, and a substitute has been lecturing all week. I’m not going to sit around listening to that sorry excuse of an instructor for another day. That has no idea what he’s talking about.”

“Wow, you really hate that class don’t you?”

“Don’t even get me started”

As the girls are standing in line, the EXO members finally walk out. The fangirl screams get louder as the members of EXO get into their seats and start their introduction.

“We are one! 大家好, 我们是 EXO!” The members introduce themselves, first together, then one by one. When it was Luhan’s turn, the screams were extra loud.

“As expected, Luhan’s popularity is no joke in China” Fei says.

“I know! He’s so good looking! I always want to say pretty, but we all know he likes being called handsome.” Yue adds.

After an hour, Yue and Fei finally make it to the front of the line. As Yue walks up to the signing table, out of the corner of her eyes she sees 3 young little boys in the crowd. They look confused and out of place among the hoard of screaming fangirls, but before Yue could think about how odd it was that they were there, Lay’s voice interrupts her daze.

“Hi, what is your name?” Lay asks while smiling sweetly and looking up a Yue.

“Oh, uh. My name is Yue.” Yue chuckes shyly, slightly embarrassed that she wasn’t paying attention. “The same as the character for moon.”

“Ah, that’s a pretty name.” Lay says while signing the picture of EXO that Yue handed him. “Are you in school right now?”

“Yes, I’m a theoretical physics major. I mostly focus on theories about time, but I also do experiments in the lab I work in.” Yue resists the urge to go on one of her nerdy rants. “So…uh, can you reveal anything about EXO’s next comeback or is that forbidden?”

“Haha, I would, but you’ll just have to wait and see. It’s more exciting that way, isn’t it?” Lay looks at her with a playful grin. “I’m thankful you’re able to find time to support us during your busy school schedule. Even coming to this fansigning even must not have been easy. Please continue to look forward to us in the future!”

“I will!” Yue says. “Thank you!” She walks over to the next member, Tao.

“Ay, whatsup?” Tao says trying to act cool. Yue tries to cover her laugh with her hands, which makes Tao smile. “So, out of us three Chinese members, I’m your favorite right?” Tao asks while expecting to hear Yue say yes.

“Umm, well I like all 3 of you the same. I really can’t choose.” Yue replies.

“Aww come on, you know it’s me.” Tao starts signing Yue’s EXO photo. “How can you resist this handsome face?” Tao does a fierce model pose.

This time Yue just lets out her laugh. “I can’t argue with that, but your fellow members are all extremely good looking too.”

“Tsk, yeah, but I’ve got wushu and body image to match this unbeatable face” Tao is interrupted when Luhan leans over to join the conversation.

“Don’t listen to him. You can choose whoever you want.” Luhan says.

“Man, look at all of those Lu signs in the crowd. You’ve got enough fans, just let me have some fun with this girl.” Tao replies.

“Hey, I’m only letting her know she’s got options.” Luhan says putting his hands up. He turns to Yue. “So what is your name?”

“Oh, my name is Yue” Yue replies a little startled. She was having fun listening to Tao and Luhan’s playful conversation.

“Like the moon?” Luhan asks.

“Yeah” Yue replies.

“Oh, shoot! I accidentally wrote the character that means mountain” Tao realizes in embarrassment.

“See? That’s what happens when you’re too focused on yourself and not the fan” Luhan grins.

“Haha, it’s ok.” Yue replies. “I just take it as a memory of this funny conversation we had.” Yue smiles and waves goodbye as she walks out of the way for the next fans.

She looks back to the place in the crowd where she saw the 3 little boys, but they aren’t there anymore.