Chapter 32

Time Machine: What could've been...

Present Day

"Qian Xi, your shadow is back!" Yue exclaims as she watches Qian Xi and Lay practice dance in the studio. 

Qian Xi turns around and looks at the ground. Lay stops dancing and looks too.

"Yeah, it is!" Qian Xi says. He's happy for a moment, but that doesn't last very long. "I hope Xiao Kai is alright" He says, the smile on his face fades away.

"Don't worry buddy." Lay comforts him. "We're heading to Shanghai to meet up with the others today. Tao's probably already there with them."

Qian Xi's smile comes back. 

"So are you guys done packing?" Yue asks. "We're taking the 2:00 pm train, so we should get there this evening. So how did Tao manage to convince SM to let him come to China?"

"To be honest, I don't know" Lay replies, while looking out the giant glass wall. "He only told us the date and where to wait for him, so I'm just assuming he'll keep his promise."

After having a nice lunch and saying goodbye to Lay's parents, they head over to the train station. Before leaving, Lay's mom gives Yue a bouquet of flowers and Qian Xi a new pair of dance shoes. 

"Qian Xi, you're a wonderful kid." Lay's mom says, giving Qian Xi a hug. "You're parents are lucky to have such a responsible son like you, and I'm sure you're grandparents love you as well." She smiles and looks at Qian Xi with a warm expression, an expression with a hint of longing, almost wishing that Qian Xi was her own grandson. Then she turns to Yue, while Lay's dad exchanges a few words with Qian Xi. 

"Come back anytime, and if you need anything we can help with, just give us a call" Lay's mom says to Yue while giving her a hug as well. "Have a safe trip!" 

 

 

....

 

When they arrive at the hotel in Shanghai, Luhan opens the door. The expression on his face not exactly a very happy one. 

"Tao hasn't arrived yet" Luhan says. 

"Oh." Yue says surprised that Luhan was this dissapointed that Tao was running late. "Well, he still as a bit of time. Let's just wait a little longer."

"Normally that would work, but I don't know how much time we have left." Luhan says, confusing Yue, Lay, and Qian Xi.

"What's the matter?" Lay asks concerned.

Just then Qian Xi looks over at Yuan Yuan who's crying. He then looks over at a very faint image of Xiao Kai, who's sitting next to Yuan Yuan on the bed.

"What happened?" Yue asks panicking. She's also noticed that Xiao Kai is almost invisible. 

"It's fine" Xiao Kai's faint voice almost echoes quietly in the room. "Don't blame my dad, he tried his best."

Yue runs over to hug Xiao Kai desperately, but her arms just grasp through him. Tears are streaming down her eyes now. "It's my fault, my fault....I wasn't good enough to save all of you..."

"Mom, it's ok." Xiao Kai says in a whisper. "It was an impossible job. No one could've have saved all of us."

"We were having so much fun, and all of a sudden....all of a sudden..." Yuan Yuan tries to explain the last few days he had with Xiao Kai. "He was fine until this morning."

Yue pulls Yuan Yuan in for a hug as well. 

"I swear, the next time I see Tao....." Lay says angrily through gritted teeth. He then punches the wall in frustration. "He didn't even try to explain his stupid plan. He's acting like this is all a game."

"Calm down, Lay" Luhan says trying to keep his own cool. "We don't want a moment like this to be just a time to let out anger. I don't think Xiao Kai would want that."

Lay takes a deep breath and covers his face in his hands. He leans against the window, looking out at Shanghai.

Luhan takes out his cell phone, calling Tao nonstop, but no one answers. 

Just then, they all hear the door of their room click open. Tao rushes in breathing heavily from running to get to the hotel. He walks straight to Yue, grabs her arm, and kisses her. Longly and deeply, not even thinking about the kids watching them. Not even caring that Luhan and Lay were stunned frozen. Yue's eyes were open wide in surprise mixed with confusion. In the corner of her eyes, she can see that Xiao Kai is starting to come back. He's not invisible anymore. The others notice too. 

Five minutes later, Xiao Kai finally speaks up. "Ummm, I think I'm ok now" He says with a hesitant cough.

Yue pushes Tao away and blushes. 

"Made it didn't I?" Tao says with a smirk and wiping his lips. 

"You have a lot of explaining to do" Luhan says with his arms crossed.