Chapter 23

Time Machine: What could've been...

Present Day

 

 

“Guys, I’m hungry” Tao says while they are walking down the streets of Seoul after returning their bikes to the bike rental.

“Tao, we know. We’re walking to the restaurant right now.” Lay replies.

“You would know that if you stopped taking pictures with your phone and paid attention.” Luhan adds.

“Yeah, seriously, Tao. You’ve been taking pictures ever since we stopped biking.” Yue says.

“I have to take as many as I can, so I can upload the perfect one on to Instagram and Weibo” Tao says, still focused on his phone camera.

“You know the fans will like your post no matter how good the picture is, right?” Yue says.

“Yeah, but it’s for my own satisfaction knowing that I look really good in a photo” Tao replies.

“We’re here!” Lay interrupts. “The best Samgyeopsal restaurant in Seoul.” He smiles.

“I call dibbs on grilling the meat!” Luhan shouts while they’re walking into the restaurant and taking off their shoes. “It only makes sense because meat grilling is a job for the real man.” He grins.

“Whatever, just make sure you make the food look good enough to photograph.” Tao says.

“And taste good.” Lay adds. “Let’s not forget how you burned everything last time.”

Luhan blushes. “Hey, that was one time.”

When the lady brings them the meat and side dishes that they ordered, Luhan begins to grill the meat.

“I know this is not the best time to ruin the atmosphere, but as long as we are all here, I think it’s time to tell you guys that I’ve been thinking a lot about the whole situation with TFboys, and I think it’s best if the 3 of us go back to China.” Luhan suddenly says while waiting for the meat to cook.

“What do you mean? We just came from China.” Tao says finally putting his phone away.

“I mean, going back for good. Like establishing ourselves in the Chinese entertainment industry, that way we’ll be in China helping Yue and TFboys. If EXO comeback, we’ll probably be spending a good long year in Korea. We have to practice for at least 3-4 months, then promotions will last a couple of months as well. Not to mention, SM has already planned M and K joint promotions, which means we won’t be in China much at all. That’s too much time to waste when we could be saving those boys, especially when SM works us to death and doesn’t allow any down time.” Luhan explains.

“You mean, you’re thinking about leaving EXO?” Yue asks concerned.

“That’s what I’m getting from this explanation.” Tao says emotionlessly. “You’re really going to do what Kris did aren’t you?”

“Tao, this is different.” Lay butts in. “Kris left for other personal reasons. We need to remember that we can’t just leave Yue to solve a problem of this magnitude all by herself.”

“So the 3 of us should just file lawsuits and leave? What about OT11?” Tao raises his voice. “You guys do whatever! I’m not leaving EXO.”

“Tao, calm down, we need to consider this carefully,” Lay says. “If we do leave, I don’t think we should all leave at the same time. We’ll probably lose the lawsuit if we do.”

“I was thinking it would make sense if I go first. I’m still not fully recovered from our The Lost Planet concert tour, and my parents need me back in Beijing. I didn’t realize until I saw them, but they’re really getting old.” Luhan says.

“Yeah, Lu ge. That’s probably the best way.” Lay nods.

“This is unbelievable” Tao shakes his head.

“This is what we have to do Tao” Lay says. “You haven’t forgotten the way Xiao Kai smiles every time he sees you, have you?”

 

When they finish eating, the sun is already starting to set. They head over to Namsan Tower in silence, all having a lot on their minds after the conversation they had. After they take the cart up to the tower, Luhan finally breaks the silence.

“I’ll go get us some coffee.” Luhan says.

“I’ll go with you, you can’t carry 4 cups all by yourself” Lay quickly adds.

When Luhan and Lay leave, Yue is left alone with Tao.

“You ok?” Yue asks concerned.

Tao nods. “You know, I truly believed in OT12 when EXO first debuted. I thought we would be chasing our dream until the end, together as one.”

“I’m sure Kris had his reasons.” Yue says, patting Tao on the shoulder.

“Yeah, reasons that he couldn’t even bother to tell me” Tao says. “But I know you fans suffered a lot too. After he left, I vowed to protect OT11, but now my own brothers are turning against me.”

Yue tries to find something to say, but she doesn’t know how to reply to that. She was shocked about the news of Kris leaving too.

Just then Tao’s phone vibrates. He looks at it and sees that it’s a message from Xiao Kai.

There is a picture of Xiao Kai, and a message that says: “Good luck with your comeback!  I will work diligently too and make you proud. Miss you and hope to see you soon!”

Tao feeling emotional now, tries not to cry.

“It’s from him isn’t it?” Yue says, suspecting it was a message from Xiao Kai.

Tao nods with a sniffle.

Luhan and Lay finally walk over after getting the coffee.

“Tao, we’ve talked about it, and if you really don’t like the idea of leaving EXO… we won’t do it.” Luhan says handing Tao a cup of coffee.

Lay nods agreeing.

“No” Tao says. “We should go through with that plan.”

Both Luhan and Lay look up at Tao a little shocked.

“But you were just-” Luhan began to say before being interrupted.

“I changed my mind. EXO will survive, and we could always rejoin as one when everyone’s contract with SM ends. TFboys is top priority now.” Tao says with a look of determination in his eyes.

“Wow, yet another surprise from our little Tao” Lay jokes, while patting Tao on the shoulder.

Luhan finally laughs relieved that Tao isn’t angry anymore.

Yue smiles too, loving the thought that OT12 might reunite in the future.

The four of them look out at the gorgeous view of Seoul’s skyline at night. Drinking warm coffee and finally feeling good after a long day.

“Luhan” Tao says while still looking out into the distance. “Make sure when you get back to China and join the Chinese entertainment industry, you try to find Kris. I have some unfinished business with him.”