Chapter 34

Time Machine: What could've been...

 

Three months later...

"Is this really what it comes down to?" Luhan asks, looking at the surface of the river, how the water rippled everytime a breeze blew over. 

They were sitting on bench underneath a cherry blossom tree at a park near the Yangtze river; Yue, Kris, and himself.

In the past three months, Yue was able to use the time traveling device that Kris had to built a time machine. A feet she had never even imagine could be done a few years ago. The trials finished and the time machine was deemed safe to use, but the Beijing lab decided to keep it a secret to the world because of the various consequences that were bound to occur if the knowledge was revealed. However, since she was the one who invented it, they allowed Yue to use it once after she explained the situation with TFboys. But the dilemma Yue was facing now, was not one that she had forseen, nor could easily decide.

"I had always thought that the hardest decision I would have to make would be choosing among the 3 of them, but I was blind to reality." Yue says, lifting her head to face the warm sunshine and closing her eyes for a moment. 

"No one is going to blame you if you decide to keep the memories and...." Kris begins to say, but trails off. 

"And lose the boys?" Yue finishes off for him. "No way, that's not an option. And it never has been. I would never forgive myself if I chose to do that."

"There really isn't another way is there?" Luhan asks. "We have to restore things back to before TFboys traveled to this timeline?"

Yue nods, while staring at Nanjing's skyline. She could hear the bustling noises from the city in the distance.The world was still going on, normally. Time doesn't consider whether or not you like the events that happen or whether you have to make impossible decisons. 

"As I explained before, when the boys ended up here, their own timelines collapsed into this one. The only way to send them back, is to rewind our timeline, to before they came to this one." Yue says. 

"Which means none of the things that happened since then, ever happened." Luhan says. He looks at the ground, blankly looking at a flower that was shining under the sunlight. "Is there really no way to remember?"

"Luhan, you can't remember things that never happened in the first place" Kris says. "She's turning back time for the whole world, this isn't just-"

"But it did happen!" Luhan interrupts Kris, amost a little angrily. He was a mixture of frustration, annoyance, and sadness. The feeling of being powerless was overwhelming.

Yue puts her hand on Luhan's shoulder. "It's something that could've been. And it's something that is, in Yuan Yuan's timeline. In Xiao Kai's timeline. In Qian Xi's timeline....." She tries hard to keep her voice from breaking.

"I won't have to go back and watch you die all over again, will I?" Kris asks, reminded of the events that he went through.

Yue shakes her head. "You're not going to experience any of that. The course of time in this timeline has changed, and so will your fate for that matter." She smiles tiredly.

Kris nods, taking a deep breath.

"So when are Lay and Tao coming? I think it's best if we all say goodbye together." Yue asks, turning to Luhan.

Luhan sighs. "Well, promotions are still going on, but they said SM allowed them to take a weekend off. They'll be here in a few days." Luhan replies.

"Wait, do the TFboys know?" Kris asks suddenly. "You did explain to them, right?"

Yue nods. "They were having bitter sweet feelings. In a sense, they must be happy that they were finally going home, but they also expressed sadness that the good times they had here were going to be lost."

 

 

...

 

 

 

When Lay and Tao finally arrived in Nanjing a few days later, the group had all gathered, including TFboys. They were sitting in a hotel room, the usual setting. Rain was lightly tapping on the glass window. 

"So what do you think will be the perfect farewell thing to do?" Lay asks, trying to seem happy. He looks around with a somewhat forced smile. It was hard to hide his true feelings, but he was still thankful that they had at least a day left. 

"Does it even matter?" Tao says, not even bothering to hide his true feelings. He didn't see the need to do something that would eventually never have even happened anyways.

Luhan gently punches Tao on the arm, giving him the don't-act-like-this-now kind of look. "I say we all go to this famous restaurant for lunch and then take a nice walk in the park afterwards" He suggests. 

"It's raining" Tao says emotionlessly. 

"I think that's a great idea" Yue butts in, in an attempt to lighten the mood. "What do you guys think?" She asks turning to TFboys, who just nod cutely. 

"Is Kris coming?" Lay asks, remembering that they seemed to be missing someone.

Luhan shakes his head. "He wanted this moment to be special for us, saying that his work here was done."

Lay nods, understandingly. 

They all wash up, get ready, and head out. The rain was light so the sky was not dark or gloomy. The air was fresh, and the atmosphere was calm, an almost perfect setting for a time like this.