Chapter 24

Time Machine: What could've been...

Present Day

 

Tao, Lay, and Luhan arrive early at the SM building on a slightly chilly Monday morning. The Korean members of EXO haven’t arrived yet, so they decided to figure out how to break the news to them.

“I don’t think they’ll accept any kind of excuse about us slowly leaving EXO. We have to tell them the truth.” Tao says while drinking his mocha and contemplating things they could say.

“I wasn’t planning on coming up with an excuse anyways.” Luhan says. “The EXO members are brothers, they deserve to know everything, especially when it effects all of us.”

“Yeah, it’s not like we have anything to hide. They know how strict SM is, and they’ve met TFboys. I’m sure they’ll understand putting EXO on the backburner for a while.” Lay agrees.

“Well, telling the other members about us leaving isn’t the real issue here.” Tao says. “What about the fans? We can’t just reveal our little secret to the whole world.”

“Easy.” Luhan says. “The lawsuit will take care of that. Mistreatment by SM.”

“And it’s not even a lie.” Lay adds. “SM overworks us. And you haven’t been looking so good these days.” He says to Luhan.

“Can’t sleep.” Luhan says with a sigh. “It was already bad before because of the flying and medications, but after finding out about the TFboys issue, it’s just gotten worse. And frankly, SM just doesn’t care about how overly stressed I am. I’ve tried to make requests, but they never take me seriously.”

Just then, a couple of the Korean members walk into the dance studio.

“Hey, long time no see!” Baekhyun shouts when he walks in the door.

“How was China?” Kai asks. “Nice to get to see family again?”

“Who are you kidding?” Chanyeol laughs. “They clearly went to visit their girlfriends in China.” He jokes.

“Yes, Chanyeol. That’s exactly what we did.” Tao answers sarcastically.

“Oh ho! So you did!” Baekhyun says pointing his finger.

“Says, the guy who is openly dating Taeyeon noona” Xiumin interrupts.

“Hehe” Baekhyun laughs embarrassed.

“Anyways, Luhan, how are you feeling lately?” Xiumin asks. “I know what happens to you when you fly around a lot.”

“I’m still hanging in there. Thanks for being concerned Xiumin.” Luhan puts his arm around Xiumin and they reunite as buddies.

“We actually have something very important to tell you guys, but we have to wait for the rest of the members.” Lay says.

Sehun, Chen, DO, and Suho finally arrive.

“Luhan hyung!” Sehun shouts when he sees Luhan.

“You guys finally came back.” Suho says smiling. “Ready for another comeback?”

“Actually, we have some news to announce.” Luhan says.

“This will take a while, so why don’t you all get comfortable,” Lay adds.

Tao, Luhan, and Lay begin their story from the very beginning. From when they first met Yue at the Melishou fan signing event and the Mid-Autumn Moon festival concert when the met TFboys, all the way to the big revealing of the situation they are tangled in now, and finally to their decision to ultimately leave SM and EXO and fully move to the Chinese entertainment industry.

“I know we are partially under the same entertainment company as TFboys, but with the next comeback SM is planning, we won’t even be in China that much. I hope you guys can understand our decision.” Luhan finished off with a hopeful look.

He looks around and notices that the Korean members all have different expressions on their faces. Some of them look shocked, other look utterly confused.

“Ha! Good one guys!” Chanyeol finally starts laughing. “Nice way to give us a good laugh before the serious training for the comeback starts.”

“Chanyeol, now is not the time,” Suho says sternly. “I don’t think they’re joking”

“We’re completely serious, and we thought you guys should know the complete truth.” Lay says.

“Haha, so you guys married the same girl?” Sehun says with a smirk.

“Not exactly…” Luhan trails off.

“That’s not the point though” Tao butts in. “You guys met TFboys, and you know how important it is that we help them.”

“But to break up EXO for them?” Suho says a little uncertain.

“They’re our sons” Lay says looking straight at Suho.

“As the leader, I’ll have to ask the other members how they feel about this.” Suho says turning towards the other Korean members.

Some of the Korean members start nodding their head and contemplating.

“Not like OT12 lasted anyways…” Baekhyun whispers to himself. Chanyeol elbows Baekhyun in the stomach.

“I’m with the M members on this one” Kai suddenly says. “It’s the right thing to do.”

“Yeah” Chen agrees. “This is a problem that’s more important than keeping EXO together now.”

“Plus, we can always reunite one day” Xiumin adds.

D.O. nods. “Just because we aren’t under SM in the future, nothing is stopping us from still being EXO.”

“Yeah, I second that” Chanyeol says raising his arm. He looks at Baekhyun intently.

“Ok, ok.” Baekhyun nods. “I’ll go along with that.”

“Whoot, OT12! Together again!” Sehun shouts with joy. “Can’t wait to see that day!”

“Well, since you’ve all agreed, I have nothing more to say.” Suho says. “Luhan, Lay, Tao, we will support your decision.”

“Thanks, Suho.” Luhan says. “And thanks you guys” He says turning towards the rest of the EXO members.

The Korean members all gather around Luhan. They signal for Lay and Tao to join in too.

“Good luck buddy!” Chanyeol says.

“We’ll be helping you guys with the fans and media speculations.” Suho adds.

“Yeah, we’ll do all we can to help” Kai says.

They all have a group hug.

“Hope all goes well and we can be one again in the future!” Xiumin shouts.