Chapter 31

Time Machine: What could've been...

Present Day

When they arrived at Lay's home in Changsha, Yue was surprised at how quaint and charming the apartment building was. It was tucked away in a little corner by the river, with very natural surroundings. In the distance, the skyline of Changsha was visible. His home took up an entire floor of the building, which was how most of the apartments were. 

"So I'm assuming this is the place for people who are on the wealthier side of the spectrum?" Yue asks, looking around the lobby, while they were waiting for the elevator.

"Haha, most people who live here are either in the business or entertainment industry, so I guess you can put it that way." Lay says. "My family moved here right after EXO debuted. I bought this apartment because it had a nice room to make into a dance studio."

After hearing this, Qian Xi shyly tugs on Lay's shirt. "Can we really dance in there?" Qian Xi asks Lay.

Lay smiles. "Of course we can! What else would we do with it?"

When the elevator finally got to the top floor, Lay rings the door bell. The woman who opens the door smiles right when she see's Lay.

"Yi Xing! You're home!" She says happily. 

"Mom, it's great to see you!" Lay says, giving his mom a warm bear hug. She hugs him back and spots Yue and Qian Xi.

"And they are?" Lay's mom asks.

"Oh, this is Yue and Qian Xi from TFboys." Lay introduces. "Yue is a fan of EXO, and they'll be staying here this weekend."

"Ah, how nice. Come in, come in" Lay's mom says. 

Inside, Lay's dad was watching TV on the couch.

"Nice to meet you Mr. Zhang" Yue says, greeting Lay's dad.

"Hello uncle" Qian Xi says, while bowing. 

"Oh, welcome, welcome." Lay's dad says. "Have some fruit, make yourselves comfortable" He offers.

"Ah, thank you" Yue says nervously. 

"Here, I'll show you around and we can put your stuff in the guest bedroom." Lay says. 

Yue and Qian Xi follow Lay and look around. The place was clean and sparklying, there were a lot of potted plants and ancient Chinese paintings hanging on the walls. 

The room that Lay took them to to drop off their stuff was very beautiful with a giant window and king sized bed. 

"I hope this is ok" Lay says. 

"Oh, it's amazing Lay" Yue says. 

He then shows them his room, which was right across the hall from theirs. Next to Lay's bedroom was the dance studio. Lay takes Qian Xi in to have a look.

"Wow, this is so cool" Qian Xi says in amazement. "I could dance in here all day if I could!"

The studio wasn't big, but it was incredibly unique. One wall was completely glass, so you could see an incredible view of Changsha from it. The other 2 walls were mirrors to see yourself when you danced. 

 

 

"Well, you can dance in here all you like while your here" Lay says. "How about I show you a couple of moves tomorrow?"

Qian Xi nods excitedly. 

 

 

.....

 

 

That evening, Yue was helping Lay's mom cook dinner in the kitchen.

"So how did you and Yi Xing meet?" Lay's mom asks, while cutting some vegetables. 

"Umm, well, I met him at the Meilishuo fansign event 2 years ago." Yue replies, while washing the rice. 

"Oh, how nice. So you guys have been together for 2 years now?" She asks.

"Uh, well, we're not really together in that sense" Yue says, trying to explain that they weren't in the kind of relationship that she was referring to.

"Oh, so you're not his girlfriend?" She says surprised. "Then are you Qian Xi's sister?"

"Um, no Qian Xi is...." Yue tries to think of a way to explain. "Qian Xi is just practicing dance with Lay, and I just tagged along because I'm a fan of both of them. By the way, thank you for letting us stay over here. It's very generous of you."

Lay's mom laughs. "No, it's my pleasure."

"So, what are you making?" Yue asks, curious to learn about what kind of foods Lay likes to eat. 

Lay's mom sighs. "My son loves soup. Especially, the type that's hearty and flavorful, so I'm making a pork spare rib stew with radish and winter melon. I'm also going to stirfry some green leafy vegetables, and pork with bamboo shoots. I hope you'll like it too."

"Mmm, sounds tasty." Yue replies. 

 

 

.....

 

 

After dinner, while Qian Xi was watching TV and chatting with Lay's dad. Lay takes Yue to the balcony to enjoy the view and have a conversation. They stand in the evening air, under the stars, looking at Changsha's skyline at night. 

"So is this the your first time in Changsha?" Lay asks. 

"Haha, no, actually my grandparents live here" Yue says. "But the city never fails to amaze me" 

Lay smiles. "So you love rain, waterfalls, natural scenery, ancient China, and is it safe to say, city skylines?" 

Yue nods. "Yup, you got me. But you're missing one."

Lay raises his eyebrow. "Idols?"

Yue laughs. "There you go."

Just then a sudden breeze blows over making Yue shiver a little. Lay didn't have a jacket but noticed Yue was a little cold, so there was only one thing he could think of doing.

"Do you mind?" Lay asks. Yue shakes her head, not exactly sure what he meant. Then, Lay wraps his arms around Yue, backhugging her. At first, she tensed up a little surprised, but then relaxed as she felt Lay's warmth. 

"This may be breaking the rules a little, but it's better than catching a cold right?" Lay smiles. 

 

....

 

Later that night, Yue and Qian Xi were washing up and getting ready for bed, when Qian Xi realized that he forgot to bring his stuffed teddy bear. 

"Qian Xi, what's the matter?" Yue asks, noticing that Qian Xi was looking for something but couldn't find it.

"Oh, nothing" Qian Xi replies, not wanting to make a big deal about spending the night without his stuffed animal toy. 

He walks into bed with a sigh, and lays there staring at the ceiling. He was still not used to sleeping without holding something in his arms. 

Just then, Yue remembers the night of the thunderstorm at Luhan's house and how Qian Xi was holding a teddy bear.

She hops into bed and wraps her arms around Qian Xi. He was a little hesitant at first, but eventually relaxes to hug her back and fall asleep.