Chapter 33

Time Machine: What could've been...

 

Present Day

"I have no idea what kind of a plan you were cooking up, but that was uncalled for Tao" Lay says, walking over to the desk in the hotel room, pulling out a chair, and sitting down with a huff. "Where have you been all this time? We almost lost Xiao Kai!" 

"Hold up, just let me have my moment." Tao says, taking off his jacket. "Wasn't it so cool that I made it just in time to save the day?" He says with a proud expression.

"No" Luhan says with a thats-the-dumbest-thing-I've-ever-heard expression. 

"Well, look." Tao begins to explain. "As hard as it is to believe, I actually didn't plan on barely showing up last minute. I was going to come earlier, but I ran into a certain someone and that's why it took so long."

"Who could be so important that you would even put Xiao Kai's life on the line for?" Luhan asks, with his arms still crossed. 

Yue and TFboys are sitting on the bed, listening very intently as well. 

"I wouldn't say it like that" Tao says. "Its more like this person can actually help us save TFboys."

"Cut to the chase, Tao. Who is it?" Lay asks, getting a little annoyed that Tao is still not coming clean and explaining everything.

"It's Kris" Tao finally says. "I ran into his as I was coming to the hotel. I couldn't believe it, but it was really him."

"You met Kris too?" Yue asks, finally speaking up.

"Too?" Tao replies confused. "You guys already say him?"

"Xiao Kai and Qian Xi ran into him while we were in Beijing." Luhan explains. "That's something we have yet to clear up. How does Kris know about our situation and can he help us...." Luhan looks at Tao. "What did he say to you?"

"Well, long story short, he said he can help us and he's waiting in the lobby right now." Tao smirks. 

"Ok, Tao, you need to explain a little more than that." Lay says. "Did he tell you how he knew?"

"Nope, he said he would explain to all of us together" Tao says. 

"So why is he waiting in the lobby and not coming up here?" Yue asks. 

"Because I told him I wanted to surprise you guys" Tao smirks. 

Luhan rolls his eyes. "Tao, Tao, Tao, I just can't understand what goes on in your mind sometimes." He shakes his head and sighs. 

Lay laughs. "Classic Tao"

"Whatever, just admit you're impressed." Tao says. 

"Fine, we're impressed. Now can you go tell Kris to come up here?" Lay says. 

"Done" Tao replies. He takes his phone out and sends a text message to Kris. A few minutes later, there is a knock at the door. 

Luhan walks over to open it. 

"Ayo What's up" Kris says walking into the room.

"Long time no see, Kris" Lay greets him. "I never thought I would ever see us all together again." He smiles. 

"Yeah, it's been months" Luhan adds. 

"Well, I've known since the beginning that I would have to this eventually" Kris says. "Normally, I would be saying you won't believe what I'm about to tell you, but seeing as you've already met TFboys, I'm going to assume you guys are ready for this."

"He's from the future" Tao says walking over and patting Kris's shoulder proudly. 

Kris looks at Tao a little annoyed. "Just let me do the explaining" He says. 

"Right" Tao says, backing off. 

"Wait, you're from the future?" Yue asks confused. "What timeline and when did you get here? How did you manage to survive so long?" Question after question was swirling around Yue's head. 

"I'm from another timeline that split off from this one." Kris explains. "I haven't dissappeared yet, and probably never will, because technically, I'm from the future of this exact timeline." Kris takes a deep breath. "You see, just before I died, I was saved by a time traveling device that my wife designed. Unfortunately, it could only save one person, and my wife chose me." Kris walks to the window to look out at Shanghai's skyline along the river. "If I was smart enough to figure out what she was doing at the time, this wouldn't have happened." He closes his eyes, remembering the moment of the car accident that took his wife's live and almost his. 

"There's another woman who created a time machine like device?" Yue asks softly, trying not to bother Kris in his moment. 

"Well, technically it's the same women." Kris says, turning around and looking at Yue. 

Yue's eyes widen in surprise. "Me?"

"Haven't you wondered what would've happen if you didn't build the time maching in time to save TFboys?" Kris says with a tired smile.

"Well, I've thought about it, but I've always been determined that I could do it" Yue says, looking at the TFboys who have been silently watching the conversaton.

"You end up not choosing Luhan, Lay, or Tao, because you said it would be unfair to the boys." Kris explains. "And then you end up with me because Luhan, Lay, Tao, and I decided to form a group in China, and we got along pretty well. Of course, being unable to choose one of them 3, I was the only one left."

"So is that what's going to happen, now? I'm not going to make the time machine in time and...and..." Yue tries to hold back her tear. 

"No" Kris says. "It doesn't play out the same way because when I time traveled, the timelines spit, so this is techincally a different timeline, which means a different set of events will happen. Plus, ever since I was saved in that accident, I swore to myself that it wasn't in vain and that I would come back to help save TFboys."

"This is all quite confusing and all, but now that you've explained everything, do you know what we need to do now?" Tao asks. 

Kris shakes his head. "All I know is, I have a time travelling device and we can-"

"USE IT TO SAVE THE BOYS!" Tao shouts, interrupting Kris in mid-sentence.

"Tao, stop getting overly excited and let him explain" Luhan says. 

"No, it doesn't work like that." Kris continues. "As I was trying to say, my time traveling device works and it could potentially help you build the time machine you've been working on."

"But why can't we just use it now as it is?" Tao asks. 

"Because the one Kris has is only able to send one person back, and sending TFboy's back in this timeline isn't going to help them get back to their own." Yue explains. 

"That sounds about right" Lay says nodding his head, trying to digest all of this newly aquired information. 

Kris pulls the device out of his pocket and hands it to Yue. 

"This means I'm going to have to take it back to the lab as soon as possible." Yue says while examining the device. 

"Awww, man." Tao says suddenly. 

"What is it?" Yue asks concerned. 

"That means I'm the only one who didn't get to spend alone time with you. So unfair" Tao pouts. 

"The boys are top priority, Tao" Lay says, reminding Tao of what was really important. 

"You were the only one who got to kiss Yue anyways." Luhan says underneath his breath. 

"It's ok guys" Yue says trying to laugh. "You can all come with me to the university. How long is SM allowing you to stay in China, Tao? I know Lay has to leave at the end of this week."

"They told me to go back with Lay, manager will be waiting for us at the airport" Tao replies. 

"Is that enough time to finish building the machine?" Luhan asks. 

"Probably not, because after it's built, we have to test it." Yue answers. "But that shouldn't be too hard. You guys can all come back when the trials are over and we can send the boys off together." Yue says confidently. 

 

...