Chapter 19

Time Machine: What could've been...

Present Day

When Yue walks out of her hotel room with Xiao Kai following closely behind, Tao eyes her up and down.

“Yeah, we’re going to have to do something about that” Tao says looking at Yue’s outfit.

“What? Is there something on my shirt?” Yue asks.

“Nah, it’s just that your style is too casual for my liking” Tao replies. “Not that I don’t like it, it’s just that we need to match in terms of style on some level. See I’m chic today, so you’ve got to be somewhat more high fashion than normal.”

“Wow, Tao. You’re lucky I don’t get offended easily” Yue replies. “I happen to always wear whatever is comfortable.”

“Right, we’ll find comfortable high fashion” Tao smiles. “And we’ll change Xiao Kai’s looks too.” Tao turns to him. “I’m going to tell you all my secrets to style.”

Yue rolls her eyes and laughs. “Isn’t he a bit too young for a chic look?”

“You can never be too young to look good” Tao replies with a smirk.

 

When they got to Wulin Square, Yue was feeling really overwhelmed by all the people and the shopping building.

“Wow, so where do we even start?” She asks looking around.

“Right there” Tao says, pointing at the building situated in the center of the bustling square. “The Louis Vuitton Hangzhou Tower Shopping Mall” He smiles widely.

“Whoa, that looks amazing!” Xiao Kai exclaims.

“That’s a mall?” Yue says looking at the tall building in amazement.

Tao nods, still smiling. He then picks up Xiao Kai piggyback style, grabs Yue’s hand, and starts running towards the shopping tower. There were a lot of people walking around, but Tao played the protective father and shielded both Yue and Xiao Kai every time someone was about to run into them.

When they finally got to the main entrance, Tao slows down and takes a deep breath. “You ready?” He says to Xiao Kai and Yue with a smirk.

They both nod.

 

 

“The key to picking the perfect Gucci bag lies in complementarity to your outfit” Tao explains while holding up different bags and looking in the mirror. “It has to be the perfect accessory, and it has to match in terms of level of style, color, and design.”

“Isn’t the most important thing about a handbag how useful it is in terms of what you can put in it and what you need it for?” Yue says trying to get on Tao’s nerves for fun.

“Tsk, Yue, Yue, Yue….” Tao shakes his head in disappointment. “Usefulness is implied. Especially when it comes to the top brands. The important thing is to choose the style. Didn’t I just talk about how important style level is?”

“Oh, well aren’t they all the same level of high fashioned style?” Yue says, holding in her laugh. Xiao Kai covers his mouth to prevent from bursting out laughing.

“How many times do I-” Tao starts to say in a super annoyed tone, but when he turns around and realizes Yue was purposefully annoying him, he sighs. “How about we look for an outfit for Xiao Kai?” He says, giving up on trying to explain handbags.

“Sounds good!” Yue says looking at Xiao Kai. “We can make him look super adorable!”

“And stylish” Tao adds, crossing his arms and sizing Xiao Kai up and down.

 

 

“How does that look?” Yue says happily clapping her hands together feeling very proud of her outfit choice for Xiao Kai. “Xiao Kai, go pose by the balloons. I want to take a picture.”

 

 

“I had a more chic image in my mind” Tao replies.

“Oh come on, Tao. He’s a cute little kid. He can have a chic style when he’s older.” Yue says, nudging Tao.

“Fine. But now, we really should do something about your outfit.” Tao says.

 

 …

 

Yue nervously walks out of the dressing room after putting on the dress Tao picked for her.

 

 

Tao is speechless when he sees her. Wow, she’s prettier than I thought. He thinks to himself.

“Does it not suit me?” Yue asks looking down at her dress, after noticing Tao staring at her without saying anything.

Snap out of it Tao, act natural. Tao reminds himself. “Ugh, no, you look great. I did a good job didn’t I?” He grins.

“I’m pretty sure, it’s not only because of the outfit.” Xiao Kai adds blushing slightly.

Yue smiles and ruffles Xiao Kai’s hair playfully.

“You guys hungry?” Tao suddenly asks, looking at the time on his phone. Xiao Kai nods enthusiastically.

“Let’s go eat then,” Yue says smiling.

“I know the perfect place.” Tao says.

 

 

“Wow, the view is spectacular!” Yue says looking out the giant glass windows that surrounded the entire eating area.

“Didn’t I tell you? I’m perfect at planning out things” Tao smirks. “What can I say? It’s a gift.”

Yue laughs. “I’ve got to give this one to you. This place is amazing.”

When the food arrives, they all eat and are silent while enjoying the view. When Xiao Kai finishes, he asks to go look through the telescope with the other children who are having a blast playing around. Yue smiles and hands him a coin for the machine.

“I hate to bring this back up again, but have you thought about what to do about the timeline issue?” Tao asks when Xiao Kai runs off to play.

“To be honest, I really haven’t. I have to get back to the lab, and figure out if it’s possible to build a time machine within the next 5 years.” Yue replies.

“Not trying to be a pessimistic, but let’s say you can’t.” Tao looks down at the table, pausing for a second. “Who would you choose if you could only save one?” He looks back up a Yue with serious eyes. 

Yue thinks for a moment. Surprised at Tao’s sudden straightforwardness and difficult question.

“I honestly don’t know,” She finally says. “I can’t even choose between you, Luhan, and Lay. Let alone, choose between you guys and Xiao Kai, Yuan Yuan, and Qian Xi.”

Tao nods, expecting her to say that. “I know it seems like I’m trying to make you choose between us 3 EXO members, but what I really want you to know is that you should consider the boys before us” He says looking out the glass walls. “Because not matter who you choose among EXO, we’ll still be here, but it’s 2 of the boys that you are choosing to give up forever.”

Yue looks at Tao a little speechless. She really didn’t expect something like that to come from him.

“Thank you, Tao,” She finally says. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

He nods. Xiao Kai finally comes back from playing.

“Did you have fun?” Tao asks smiling down at Xiao Kai warmly. He nods. “Let’s go then.”