Chapter 4

Time Machine: What could've been...

Future Timeline 1

 

“Qian Xi, daddy is going to go to the dance academy to teach for a while. Don’t go outside and don’t open the door for strangers ok?” Qian Xi’s dad says while grabbing his car keys.

“Ok, I won’t” Qian Xi answers while still submerged in the video game he was playing.

“Wait until you’re a little older, and then I’ll teach you all the dance skills I know. Hehe, my future star.” Qian Xi’s dad pats him on the head. “See you when I get back home!”

“Bye, daddy!” Qian Xi takes a moment to wave at his dad before going back into gaming mode.

After a couple of hours, Qian Xi got tired of playing his game in which he kept getting stuck on level 12 in. He started looking around the house to see if there was anything else to do. He saw a photo album on the bookshelf of the basement and curiously took it down to look through.

Most of the pictures were from over 10 years ago, back when his dad was still in a member of a popular boy group. Qian Xi wanted to take a better look at the black and white group photo, so he took it out. But as he was taking it out, he accidentally dropped the photo and it ended up sliding under the door of the secret room his mother told him to never go into.

What should I do? He thinks to himself. I can just go in, grab the photo and come back out real quick.

As he slowly walks towards the door, he realizes it might be locked. To Qian Xi’s surprise the door wasn’t locked but not even closed all the way. He gently pushes it open, and inside the room that he had been curious about ever since he found out about it was a laboratory. He sees the photo on the ground, quickly picks it up, and starts walking out. Just when he was about to walk out of the lab, he slowly turns around to take another look at what was inside the room. The room was dark except for a dim light in the corner shining above what looked like a large blue box. The box had a door, and the door had a small glass window. Qian Xi knew he shouldn’t be messing around with the box, but his curiosity got the better of him. He opened the door to the box and saw that it was not just a box but some sort of machine. There were many complicated looking buttons, and when Qian Xi stepped inside, he accidentally pressed one that a screen. On the screen, there was nothing except today’s date and the precise time it was.

Maybe this is a video player that plays events from whatever date you put in. Qian Xi thinks to himself. He looks down at the photo he was holding in his hands.

 

August 1, 2013

 

He quickly types the date into the machine and the numbers on the screen automatically change to that date. The door closes by itself, and a swooshing noise proceeds. Qian Xi panicks and tries to open the door but to no avail, it wouldn’t budge.

Rats! It’s locked. What do I do? Qian Xi feels tears welling up in his eyes. Sorry, I didn’t listen to you mommy. I’m sorry...

 

Present Day

 

“How was your event that you went to?” Yue’s lab coworker asks. “That…what was it again?”

“Oh, EXO’s fansigning event? It was great! They were all even better looking in person. And their personalities were cute too.” Yue replies.

They were doing an experiment on light particles and doing calculations.

“Oh, EXO was the boyband you were a fan of? I thought it was the other one…what was it called?” The coworker pauses to think for a second. “Oh yeah, TFboys. But I suppose those kids are a bit on the young side…”

“Yeah, I’m an EXO fan. I’ve never actually heard of TFboys…”

“Oh, those kids are adorable, but the youngest one is only 10. You should check them out sometime, I have a feeling you’ll like them.”