Chapter 29

Time Machine: What could've been...

 

 

Present Day

The next day, they head over to the Beijing University campus, to fulfill Qian Xi's wish to see it. It was a sunny day, and there were quite a lot of students walking around campus. 

"Well, here we are" Luhan says taking a deep breathe and looking around. "Beijing University."

"Wow" Qian Xi says in awe. "I've only heard about it in school, everyone wants to come here, and now I think I know why."

"The aura of excellence" Xiao Kai says.

"Is there good food here too?" Yuan Yuan asks. 

"We're at THE Beijing University, and all you can think about is food?" Qian Xi says. 

Yuan Yuan's stomach growls. "It's just, we were in such a hurry that we didn't have breakfast." He blushes in embarrassment. 

Yue laughs. "I'm sure there's food here. It's Beijing, there's food everywhere."

"Hey, how about I take Yuan Yuan and find food, while you guys explore the university?" Luhan suggests. "Plus, it's probably better if we kept a little distance until Lay and Tao get here." He adds, referring to Xiao Kai and Qian Xi slowly starting to dissapear. 

"Sounds good, we can meet by the lake in 2 hours." Yue says. 

"Oh, and don't forget this" Luhan says, tossing Yue an umbrella. "We don't want people to notice."

"Oh right" Yue says, forgetting that Xiao Kai and Qian Xi don't have shadows. 

When Yuan Yuan and Luhan leave, Yue, Qian Xi, and Xiao Kai begin looking around campus. 

"So do you two have any specific buildings you want to see, or are we just going with the flow?" Yue asks. 

"Actually, there's one place we have to go" Xiao Kai says. "Or more like, a place that you have to go"

Yue stops walking and looks at Xiao Kai confused.

"There's a secret lab here at the university that specializes in time travel, but they've kept it a secret because the Chinese government doesn't allow things like time travel." Xiao Kai explains. "I know this because, my mom, or I guess, you, told me about it when I was old enough"

"Hmmm, did she say anything else about it?" Yue asks intently. 

"She said if it wasn't for the help from the people there, she wouldn't have been able to solve the missing puzzle piece, or something." Xiao Kai adds. 

That's it! Yue thinks to herself. That's the piece I need. 

"Do you know where this lab is?" Yue asks.

"No, but I think she said it was near the garden by the music deparment." Xiao Kai says. 

"The music department? Why the heck would a time research lab be there?" Yue says.

"Well, you did marry a musical idol, and we are musical idols ourselves." Xiao Kai replies. "It must be related somehow" He shrugs. 

Yue thinks about it. That is strange. But nevermind that, I have to find this lab. She looks at Qian Xi who is silently watching the conversation between Xiao Kai and Yue. 

"Qian Xi, is it ok, if you and Xiao Kai explore the university by yourselves?" Yue says. "I'm sorry our plans turned out this way."

"It's fine." Qian Xi says smiling. "All I wanted was to see this university, and I'm already here, so that's enough for me"

Yue smiles, overwhelmed with how good of a kid Qian Xi is. She walks over to hug Qian Xi and Xiao Kai before running off. "Meet you guys at the lake in a bit!" She shouts back. 

When Yue is out of sight, Qian Xi tuns to Xiao Kai. "Why did you do it?" Qian Xi asks. 

"It's the only way." Xiao Kai replies. "She'll have to decide eventually, I'm just making it easier for her. We're going to dissapear soon anyways."

"So the secret lab is fake?" Qian Xi asks.

"No, that part is real, but if she figures out how to make the time machine now, it'll be easier on everyone. Her decision now will be much easier than if she has the time to get close to our dads. Then she'll really have her heart broken having to make the decison of who to keep, but right now her choice should be quite obvious..." Xiao Kai asks. 

"Luhan and Yuan Yuan." Qian Xi finishes Xiao Kai sentence. Xiao Kai nodds. 

"Are you scared?" Xiao Kai asks walking over to put his arm over Qian Xi's shoulder. Qian Xi shakes his head. "Alright then, let's go!"

Xiao Kai and Qian Xi head towards the other direction, just walking and chatting. Telling each other about their own timelines and how thankful they are to have met each other, including Yuan Yuan, and forming TFboys. 

"One of the few good things about being stuck in a different timeline" Qian Xi sighs. "Our time together was really worthwhile. I'll never forget the nights we played video games and cuddled up in one big bed and watched scary movies at the hotel."

Xiao Kai laughs. "Or the time Yuan Yuan ran into the revolving door 7-8 times a day at that one hotel."

"Hey you want to get some food?" Qian Xi says. 

"Sure, now that you mention it. I'm starving!" Xiao Kai replies. 

The two boys head into a small soup dumpling shop in the corner. The smell coming from it was so savory and warm, they just couldn't resist.  

When they walk in, they sit at a table by the window, next to a tall guy with sunglasses dressed very fashionably. 

It's not even sunny inside, I wonder why he's wearing sunglasses. Qian Xi thinks to himself while staring at the man. When the man makes eye contact with Qian Xi, he immediately looks away a little scared. 

After the waiter comes with the two bowls of soup dumplings they ordered. Xiao Kai and Qian Xi happily eat and chat some more. When they finish, the waiter comes back with the bill, and it was only then, that Xiao Kai and Qian Xi remembered that they didn't have any money. 

"That'll be $12.95" The waiter says, waiting for them to pay. Xiao Kai and Qian Xi both gulp nervously. 

"I'll take care of that" The man with the sunglasses says.

Both Xiao Kai and Qian Xi turn to look at the man. 

"Thank you, sir" The waiter says. "Have a nice day."

When the waiter leaves, the man with the sunglasses turn and look at the two boys. 

"Ummm, thank you so much, uhh Mr..." Xiao Kai begins to say. 

"Call me Kris" The man with the sunglasses says while taking them off. 

Qian Xi gasps. "You're tthhhhe...Kris from my our dads' band" He says wide eyed. 

Kris nodds and smiles. "I'm assuming you're referring to EXO?"

"Oh, EXO's Kris?" Xiao Kai says. "But how do you know us?" 

"Everyone knows TFboys these days" Kris replies with a smile. "But if you guys run away, your fans will all be heartbroken."

"Wait, how did you know?" Qian Xi asks, confused and surprised. 

"Let's just say, there's a bigger reason I left SM and EXO than just my 'heart problem'" Kris says with a smirk. "Run along now, you don't want your mom to freak out now, do you?"

Kris pats both boys on the head and walks out leaving them both confused and stunned. 

"This is weird. This is really weird." Qian Xi says. 

"Tell, me about it." Xiao Kai says looking out the window. "But I think it's best if we go back."

"Yeah" Qian Xi agrees. "Should we tell Yue and Luhan about Kris?"

"Yeah, it might help them figure things out. Plus, I want to know who this Kris really is." Xiao Kai replies determined. 

Qian Xi nodds. And the two boys head back to the lake..