Chapter 12

Time Machine: What could've been...

Present Day

 

“Lay! Hurry up in there! Why are you taking so long to shower?!” Tao bangs on the bathroom door as he waits for Lay to finish so he can get his turn in the bathroom.

Lay finally snaps out of his daze while standing under the running warm water of the showerhead. He turns the water off. He’s been thinking about everything Qian Xi has told him since practice ended. Is it possible? Why would the kid make up a lie like that though? He must be desperate for help to get back to…his own…what did he call it?... timeline...

“Geez, what has gotten into him? He’s been in there for 3 hours.” Tao shakes his head and walks over to the couch Luhan was sitting in.

“Must’ve just needed a long shower,” Luhan says, with an emotionless expression on his face.

“And what’s gotten into you?” Tao says, realizing Luhan finally replied after not being himself for the past few hours either. “Am I missing something here? Why am I the only one who feels like something’s not right? Both you and Lay have been daydreaming since practice ended.” Tao sighs loudly and flops back on the couch.

“Tao, if I tell you something unbelievable. Would you believe me?” Luhan suddenly blurts out.

“Wait, don’t tell me. You’re favorite soccer ball popped and now you’re sulking in your own sorrow” Tao rolls his eyes.

“What? No. Why are you so annoyed, Tao?” Luhan asks, snapping back into reality realizing Tao’s attitude is currently really sour.

“Lu ge, I’ve been asking to borrow your video game controller since Lay went to take his shower, and you never replied. So I figured, hey, might as well just wait to shower after Lay and then play video games. Who the hell would’ve known Lay would take a 3 hour shower today, and you would ignore me for all 3 of those hours!” Tao huffs in frustration.

“Oh, it’s been 3 hours since you asked me that?” Luhan replys genuinely not realizing how fast time has passed since his talk at practice with Yuan Yuan. “Sorry Tao, but I really have something important to tell you.”

“I’m all ears” Tao says not really caring what it is.

“Tao, you really have to pay attention, focus, and don’t ask questions until I’ve told you everything. Promise?” Luhan says.

“Promise what?” Lay walks out from the bathroom saying.

“Uh, finally!” Tao shouts and runs into the bathroom.

“Ugh” Luhan moans. “Well it’s better that I tell you both at the same time anyways.”

“Tell us what?” Lay asks, thinking of his own little piece of information he needs to reveal as well.

“Hold on. Let’s wait for Tao” Luhan says.

When Tao finally comes out of the bathroom, Luhan and Lay are sitting on the couch looking at him intently.

“Whao, am I THAT good looking?” Tao says jokingly while running his fingers through his hair and doing a super model pose.

“Focus, Tao, focus” Luhan stays sternly.

“Alright, alright. Geez, I wasn’t the one who was spacing out for 3 hours now was I?” Tao counters Luhan’s stern look.

“Yeah, well you’ll know why after you hear my explanation” Luhan says. He then proceeds to explain everything Yuan Yuan told him. About how he was Yuan Yuan father in the future of a different timeline. Lay was listening intently, but before Luhan could finish explaining the details, Tao bursts out laughing.

“Pfffffffffft, HAHAHAHA! Very funny, Luhan. I’m touched that you put on an act for the last 3 hours to perfect your joke just so you could give me a good laugh.” Tao says with tears running down his face from laughing so hard.

Luhan snaps back, utterly frustrated at how childish Tao was being. “I’m not joking. I know it sounds impossible, but I know Yuan Yuan is not lying. He knows stuff about me that only a family member would know.”

“Yeah, I believe you” Lay finally says after being silent for Luhan’s entire speech.

“You do?” Luhan says surprised.

“Yeah, Qian Xi told me the same thing, but he also said that Yuan Yuan and Xiao Kai are from different future timelines than his.” Lay explains.

“Oh, he did?” Luhan says. “Yuan Yuan must’ve not wanted to reveal Qian Xi and Xiao Kai’s information because he only mentioned his own.”

“Ok, hold up. If Qian Xi and Yuan Yuan told both of you, why didn’t Xiao Kai tell me then?” Tao asks feeling betrayed.

“You were probably too focused on yourself for him to have a chance.” Luhan says with a smirk.

Tao thinks about it. “Yeah, you’re probably right.” He finally says.

“So, what we need to do right now is to call those three boys and figure things out as the 6 of us. That way we can help those kids as much as we can.” Lay says.

“Agreed.” Luhan says. “Oh, and Tao in case you haven’t pieced everything together yet. Xiao Kai is your son in a future timeline.” Luhan adds.

Tao spits out the water he was drinking. He is then speechless from shock.

Lay and Luhan high-five each other, satisfied with how they were finally able to let Tao experience the shocking revelation that they had to go through.

“I was waiting for you to say that” Lay says to Luhan with a smile.