Chapter 6

Time Machine: What could've been...

 

 

Future Timeline 3

‘Ding Dong’

The doorbell rings and Yuan Yuan goes to look through the peephole. His parents have told him not to open the door for strangers, so he always checks who it is first. Turns out, it’s one of his mothers lab workers, so he opens the door.

“Yuan Yuan, is your mom home?” The lady asks, looking down at Yuan Yuan through her cat-eyed shaped glasses.

“Umm, no she’s not here right now” Yuan Yuan replies nervously. Although he knew the lady was one of his mom’s workers, he couldn’t help but feel a little bit uneasy because, to be blunt, she was one scary lady. She was always the worker who would argue and have heated debates with his mother.

“Well, then, come with me honey” The lady says while walking towards the laboratory. Yuan Yuan gulps, and slowly follows the lady.

When they enter the laboratory, the lady closes the door behind them and locks it, which makes Yuan Yuan realize that something is not right.

The lady grabs Yuan Yuan by the wrist and drags him towards the time machine at the corner of the lab. “Wait, what are you-” Before Yuan Yuan could finish; the lady slams the door to the machine closed.

“I’ll tell your mom you were being a naughty boy” accompanied by a swooshing noise was the last thing Yuan Yuan heard before blacking out…

 

Past Timeline: August 1, 2013

 

Qian Xi opens his eyes to find the sun shinning brightly at him. What happened? He thinks to himself. He shakes his head to clear the ringing in his ears. Looking around, he sees a lot of people walking on the streets just minding their own business and paying no to attention to him. He slowly stands up from the ground he was sitting on, and starts walking in no particular direction. Everything looks unfamiliar, and he has no idea where he is.

When he gets to the center of the city, he looks up at a billboard screen, and freezes in place when he sees the image displayed on it. The image was a picture of the boy band his father was a part of over 10 years ago. Wait, so I’m not even supposed to be born yet?  

After walking for a while, he notices a man in a suit following him. He turns a corner, the man follows. Feeling scared, Qian Xi starts running. When he thinks he finally lost the man, he runs into a talk dark figure. It’s the man in the suit.

“Hey, kid, don’t be scared I’m not here to hurt you” The man explains. “Here’s my business card, I’m a scouting agent for China’s biggest entertainment company. I would like to invite you to be a trainee. Think about it, and come to this building if you decide to consider my offer.” The man hands Qian Xi the card and walks away.  

Qian Xi thinks about it. Maybe I’ll find my dad there if I go. He makes up his mind and convinces himself to go. Well, it’s not like I have anywhere else to go….

Qian Xi cautiously walks into the lobby of the entertainment company’s building. The lady at the front desk tells him to go over to the waiting area with 2 other boys who look about the same age as him.

The 2 boys look awkward and nervous, but he noticed that they were both really good looking.

“Hi, I’m Qian Xi” Qian Xi greets both of the boys. They turn and look at him curiously before greeting him.

“My name is Xiao Kai,” says the tallest of the 3 boys.

“I’m Yuan Yuan,” the other boy says with a cute smile.

It didn’t take long for the 3 boys to get comfortable with each other. They seemed to just connect in some special way. They shared some of the same interests, but they were also different in many ways as well…

 

Present Timeline

 

“Guys, I heard from the manager that TFboys are coming to meet us today” Tao says walking into the practice room.

“Those cute younglings?” Lay asks. “What’s the occasion?”

“Well, I heard it’s because they are huge fans of us and begged the CEO to have us train them for their next comeback” Luhan replies.

“Yeah, I can’t believe he gave in to those boys’ request. He knows we’re too busy with our own promotions to deal with a bunch of kids.” Tao says rolling his eyes.

“Aww, Tao don’t be mean. They’re just kids who look up to us.” Lay says.

“Yeah, I was told they’ve been dying to meet us since their trainee days. It’s too bad the company is so strict about who we sacrifice our ‘precious’ time to” Luhan says. “They probably think we didn’t want to meet them, when it was really just company restrictions.”

“Whatever, they probably still worship us anyways. I’m going to put on that cool image to show them how amazing I am in person.” Tao says narcissistically.

“Tao,” Lay says sternly. “Be nice to the kids, and at least attempt to be a good role model.”

Just after Lay makes his statement, the 3 members hear a knock on the door. Their manager walks in with the three members of TFboys.

“Hi, we are T F boys!” The three kids say at the same time and bow to the 3 EXO members.

 

“Hi, I’m Lay-“

“Luhan-”

“Tao-”

 

The 3 EXO members bow as well.

Lay looks up to find that the youngest of the 3 boys is staring at him intently. He chuckles to himself and walks over.

“Hey there, you’re Qian Xi, right? Main dancer of TFboys?” Lay says patting Qian Xi on the shoulders.

The boy shyly nods.

Luhan notices Yuan Yuan accidentally meet his eyes and quickly look away.

“Yo yo yo, no need to be shy” Luhan tries to lighten the atmosphere between him and Yuan Yuan. He looks over at Tao who seems to be uninterested in getting to know the members of TFboys. Luhan nudges Tao in the stomach, making Tao snap back into the situation.

Tao looks over at Xiao Kai who’s just looking at the ground and playing with his feet.

“Ugh” Tao sighs and walks over to Xiao Kai. “Yo, I know you’re a fan but don’t try to kiss up to me thinking you’ll get special treatment or something.”

“Ummm, ok” Xiao Kai says shyly. He looks up at Tao for the first time. When their eyes meet, Tao suddenly feels a little strange for a few seconds. His annoyance with TFboys starts to fade away, and he slowly begins to take a liking towards Xiao Kai that he can’t really explain.