Chapter 30

Time Machine: What could've been...

 

 

Present Day

The five of them were waiting at the airport to pick up Lay, who was flying over from Korea. 

"Well, let's hope getting you closer to Lay will bring Qian Xi back from dissappearing." Luhan says. He looks at Qian Xi and Xiao Kai.  "By the way, I haven't asked you guys how exploring Beijing University was. We were too busy talking about the new information Yue gathered."

"Yeah, I've contacted my lab and told them to work with the secret lab at Beijing University. I think the pieces are finally coming together." Yue says. "So where did you guys go exploring yesterday?" She asks Xiao Kai and Qian Xi. 

Xiao Kai takes a deep breathe, uncertain how to start explaining. He finally decides to go with the entire truth, because hiding things won't really be beneficial for anyone in this situation.

"So, our original plan was to run away" Xiao Kai begins. Luhan and Yue's eyes widen.

"What??!! Run away? Why would you possibly do that?" Yue runs over to hug both Qian Xi and Xiao Kai tightly. 

"Hold on, let me finish, that's not the point." Xiao Kai begins to explain, apologizing for making such a decision and what happened to them at the dumpling restaurant. 

"First of all, I should be the one apologizing." Yue says, but before she can finish, Luhan steps in.

"No, I should've known better than to get so close to Yue. But you guys need to know that we're going to help all three of you make it back to your own timelines, so no more thoughts on running away ok?" Luhan says. 

The three boys nod while looking at Luhan. "Plus, I've tried that before, and it never helps solve anything" Luhan adds. He walks over to ruffle their hair. 

"But you guys met Kris?" Yue says, finally comprehending the second part of Xiao Kai's story. 

"Yeah, that's why we came back." Qian Xi says. "He told us something about leaving EXO for another reason."

"How did he know about you guys?" Yue asks. "Luhan, do you have any ideas?"

Luhan was staring at the ground, thinking intensly. "Kris has always been an mysterious guy, he didn't even tell any of us he was leaving and just left all of a sudden."

"And he didn't say anything else?" Yue asks. Qian Xi shakes his head, no. 

"How about we look for Kris after both Lay and Tao get over here." Luhan suggests. "Right now, you'll just have to focus on spending more time with Lay to buy us more time until the time machine is up and running."

"You're right." Yue agrees. 

Just then, they see passengers walk in from the boarding terminal. Finally, Qian Xi spots Lay carrying a backpack and wearing an animal print mouth cover. He runs over excitedly. 

"Wow, you've grown quite a bit since I last saw you" Lay says smiling. He looks up to see the others walk over to him. "Hey, Xiao Kai! Yuan Yuan!" He says. 

Both Xiao Kai and Yuan Yuan greet Lay. 

"Hey, has Tao found a way to get over here?" Luhan asks Lay. 

Lay sighs. "Tao is being difficult. The last time I asked him, he just smiled and patted my shoulder without saying anything."

Luhan laughs. "Classic Tao. He's just trying to surprise us."

"So what's the plan? I've got a little over a week. That's all SM would allow." Lay asks. 

"Well, I was planning to have you, Yue, and Qian Xi spend a weekend in Changsha." Luhan says. "It might be the way to bring Qian Xi back a little at least. And of course, when Tao gets here, we'll be able to save Xiao Kai too."

Lay nodds. "Well, my parents will sure be happy to see me." He turns to Yue. "I hope you're ready to have a blast."

Yue smiles. "You're parents won't mind will they?"

"Pshh, of course they won't, they'll love you" Lay reassures her. 

"While you guys have fun in Changsha, I'll take Xiao Kai and Yuan Yuan back to the company to film some more activities." Luhan says. "Meet at our dorm in Shanghai on Monday?"

"Yup" Lay says. "And hopefully, Tao will be here by then."

"Are you going to do anything then, Luhan?" Yue asks, a little concerned that Luhan will be lonely. 

"Hey, don't worry about me, I've got to meet with some companies to start my career here in China." Luhan says. He nods, looking a Yue, trying to hold back any sign of emotions, knowing that this is what they have to do. This is the right thing. 

Looking back into Luhan's eyes, she can tell that he does seem a little sad on the inside. As much as Luhan tries, those clear sparkling eyes never fail to reveal his true feelings. 

 

....

 

On the train ride to Changsha, Lay tells Yue about EXO's future comeback plans and what they've all been up to lately.

"D.O.'s really working on his English pronounciation. By the looks of it, he'll be fluent in no time." Lay says. "And Chen of course, is working on his Chinese."

"Do you and Kai ever get overly competitive when it comes to dancing?" Yue asks. 

"Us? Nah, we're bros. We have different styles anyways." Lay says, looking out the window. "That kids really works hard though.."

"I'll bet. All of you guys are." Yue says. "He resembles you a lot." Yue says, looking over at Qian Xi who was quietly taking a nap. "Those dimples, the dancing talent, his modest personality.."

"I wouldn't have believed he was my son otherwise." Lay chuckles.