Chapter 28

Time Machine: What could've been...

Present Day

"Wow, the Great Wall is gorgeous in the fall. What a view!" Yue exclaims looking out at the colorful scenery. The air was still fresh after the thunderstorm last night.

"Yeah, fall is the best time to come here." Luhan replies. "My parents used to take me here all the time when I was little." He looks out into the distance. 

Qian Xi and Yuan Yuan were running around playing, when Yuan Yuan tries to tackle Qian Xi from behind but fails to grab him. 

Xiao Kai was busy taking selfies to put on Weibo, when he noticed the picture wasn't coming out quite right. The background of the photo looked perfectly fine, but Xiao Kai's image in the photo was almost transparent. Thinking that there must be something wrong with his phone, Xiao Kai shrugs it off. 

"Hey, how did you do that?" Yuan Yuan asks Qian Xi surprised that he couldn't grab Qian Xi even though he was only a foot away. 

"Do what?" Qian Xi asks confused. Just then, Xiao Kai walks over. 

"Yuan Yuan, can I borrow your phone? Mine's not working" Xiao Kai asks.

"Sure"  Yuan Yuan says, tossing Xiao Kai his phone. Xiao Kai catches it happily and goes back to taking selfies. The strange thing was, Yuan Yuan's phone did exactly the same thing. 

"Hey, your phone isn't working either" Xiao Kai shouts frustrated. 

"What do you mean? My phone is fine" Yuan Yuan says, grabbing his phone from Xiao Kai and taking a selfie. "See, perfect. I look great today!" Yuan Yuan fips his hair confidently. 

Xiao Kai leans over to look at Yuan Yuan's picture and sure enough, it looked fine. 

"Then why do my pictures turn out looking like this?" Xiao Kai asks, showing Yuan Yuan the transparent images of him in the photos. 

"You must not be doing it right" Yuan Yuan says. "Let me try." Yuan Yuan takes a picture of Xiao Kai. Qian Xi walks over and looks at the picture along with Yuan Yuan and Xiao Kai. 

"See!' Xiao Kai says when the picture again comes out weirdly. "I told you it's the your phone."

"Then why does my picture look fine?" Yuan Yuan says confused. 

"Let me try." Qian Xi says, pulling out his phone and talking a selfie. 

"No, Qian Xi, you have to take a picture of Xiao Kai. He's the one turning out like a ghost in the pictures." Yuan Yuan says. 

"I don't think it's just Xiao Kai" Qian Xi says, turning his phone to show Yuan Yuan and Xiao Kai the photo he just took.

"Hey, what are you guys up to?" Luhan asks, walking over with Yue.

Qian Xi and Xiao Kai walk over to show Luhan and Yue the pictures on their phone. 

"Whao, new app?" Luhan asks. Xiao Kai and Qian Xi shake their heads. 

"We don't know why it's doing that" Xiao Kai says. 

"Must be the lighting." Luhan says looking up at the sun. "Here let me try." Luhan takes a photo of Xiao Kai and Qian Xi with Yuan Yuan in the background. "Hmmm, Yuan Yuan seems to come out fine. Why is it that...." Luhan looks at the phone and trys to think what could be wrong. 

"Luhan" Yue says standing completely still. 

"You know how to fix it?" Luhan says looking up at Yue. 

"Is it me, or do Xiao Kai and Qian Xi not have shadows?" Yue says wide eyed staring at the ground below them. 

"What?" Luhan says and looks at the ground. "Hhh-ow is that possible?"

Yuan Yuan jumps. "Qian Xi! Xiao Kai! What did you guys do?"

"Nothing!" Xiao Kai and Qian Xi says together. 

"I feel perfectly fine" Xiao Kai says touching his face.

"Yeah, I can still dance" Qian Xi says, doing a bit of free style. 

"It can't be happening this early" Yue says to herself. "I'm only 21, I don't have you until I'm 25..."

"You mean the whole 2 of them will dissapear thing?" Luhan asks concerned. 

Yue nodds. "But why is it happening to Xiao Kai and Qian Xi?"

"Do you think it has to do with spending too much time with me?" Luhan asks suddenly. Yue stops and looks at Luhan in the eyes. "Well, the only way to find out is to get Lay and Tao over here as soon as possible." Luhan says. "But for now, we have to go back to my house before people notice."

 

Later that evening...

 

"It's settled" Luhan says walking into the room where Yue was talking to the TFboys. "Lay is coming over the day after tomorrow"

"How's he getting permission from SM?" Yue asks. "And what about Tao?"

"Lay's going with the my-grandma-is-sick excuse and Tao will find a way soon enough." Luhan says. 

"I also need to get back and see how the time machine is coming along. That's our biggest hope now." Yue says.

Qian Xi then walks over. "Hey, mom..."

Yue looks at Qian Xi and smiles. "What is it?"

"I...was wondering..." Qian Xi was a little uncertain about bringing up this question at a time like this. 

Yue pats Qian Xi on the shoulder. "You were wondering if we could still go visit Beijing University right?"

Qian Xi's face brightens. He nods happily. 

"Of course we can." Yue replies.