Chapter 21

Time Machine: What could've been...

Present Day

 

“Hey Yue, how is that experiment coming along?” Yue’s coworker shouts from the other side of the lab.

“Oh, it’s coming along” Yue replies, still focused on the shooting particles at the machine.

 

After doing experiments for nearly 5 hours, Yue was exhausted as she headed home. It’s been 2 weeks since she went on vacation with EXO and TFboys, and she still hasn’t figured out what to do about the time machine thing. Well, I’ve still got 5 years, right? She thinks to herself. It doesn’t make her feel any better, but it is what it is. I wish I could see them more. She thinks about TFboys, and how utterly adorable they are. She also thinks about Luhan, Lay, and Tao…how unbelievable it is that one moment she was a fangirl, and the next they were all connected in the most impossible way possible.

 

Just then, her cell phone rings, interrupting her thoughts. She looks at the caller ID and was surprised to see that it was Luhan.

“Hello?” Yue answer.

“Yue, we’re here” Luhan says.

“You’re here? What do you mean?” Yue asks, confused.

“Wait, Tao didn’t tell you?” Luhan says shocked. “He was supposed to…ugh”

Yue hears Luhan turn to talk to Tao through the phone.

“So apparently he was busy booking a hotel,” Luhan says turning back to the phone.

“My bad” Yue hears Tao distantly through the phone.

“Anyways, we’re staying at a hotel near your university for a while.” Luhan continues. “We didn’t want to leave you to solve this problem by yourself”

“Wow, thanks, but you really didn’t have to come all the way here” Yue replies casually. But secretly she was happy and relieved that they came.

 

Luhan gives her the address of their hotel, and Yue takes a taxi over. When she gets to the hotel, she sees Luhan waiting at the front door for her, with Yuan Yuan standing beside him.

 

“Yue!” Yuan Yuan shouts excitedly when he sees her. He runs over to hug her by her waist.

“Yuan Yuan” Yue says happily.

“Qian Xi, Xiao Kai, and I missed you so much.” Yuan Yuan says while holding on to her tightly.

“Aww, I missed you guys too.” Yue says.

“Let’s have our reunion upstairs with the others” Luhan says.

 

When they get there, Yue seeing Tao and Xiao Kai sitting on the couch watching TV while Lay and Qian Xi are playing a board game while sitting cross-legged on the ground.

 

“Hey, look who’s finally here!” Lay says when he sees Yue. Qian Xi looks up at her and smiles.

“It’s been a while” Yue jokes.

“Hey, 2 weeks is pretty long” Lay says laughing.

“So, have you figured out anything new?” Tao asks, turning off the TV.

“Good news is, I think I have. But the bad news is, the new thing I figured out is not very good.” Yue says, remembering her realization about the timelines converging.

“Well, don’t be afraid to tell us everything.” Lay says. “I’m sure the TFboys are prepared to hear this too.”

The 3 boys nod in unison.

Yue begins to explain how the separate timelines of Xiao Kai, Yuan Yuan, and Qian Xi collapsed into this one, meaning that everyone and everything from their timelines are gone.

“So, you have to choose only one of us?” Qian Xi suddenly asks when Yue finished explaining.

Yue and the 3 members of EXO were surprised at Qian Xi’s straightforwardness.

Luhan, Lay, and Tao had no words.

“Well, I’m going to build a time machine and restore your timelines” Yue finally answers after the awkward silence. Even though she wasn’t confident she could, she forced herself to sound reassuring.

“It’s ok if you can’t and you have to choose” Xiao Kai says. Yue sees Yuan Yuan and Qian Xi both nod.

“Hey, why don’t we all have dinner and talk about this another time, it’s almost time for bed” Luhan says while laughing nervously. He didn’t want to go into too many of the details while the 3 boys were still listening.

“Sounds like a great idea!” Lay agrees, while using his eyes to signal to Yue, that they needed to talk about this after putting the 3 boys to bed.

“Right! I’m starving!” Yue quickly replies once she realizes what they were trying to do.

“Ugh, you guys” Tao rolls his eyes. The boys are strong enough to know the truth. Tao thinks to himself. But whatever…

 

After dinner, while the 3 TFboys are sound asleep, Yue and the 3 EXO members gather back on the couch and begin their conversation again.

 

“Is it really possible that you’ll have to choose?” Lay asks.

“To be honest, we agreed that if you were forced to choose, we wouldn’t make you” Luhan says.

“Yeah, yeah, bro code” Tao says. “But really who cares!?!!? Why don’t you just marry all 3 of us?”

“Tao! Luhan says, that’s not the right way to go” Luhan says, embarrassed that Tao even said that out loud in front of Yue.

 “I’m mean, the time machine is still very possible. I’m just struggling because of the pressure. Since, I was able to invent one in the other timelines, I should be able to in this one too, but I think with the 3 boys traveling here, something might have shifted. You know how like in the movies when people travel back in time, they risk changing the future and whether or not they were even born or not? It’d kind of like that.” Yue replies.

“Well, there’s still time.” Lay says deep in thought.

“Just know that’ we’ll be with you all the way” Luhan reassures Yue.

“Oh right, and we’re taking you to Seoul” Tao adds casually.

“Oh yeah, we almost forgot.” Luhan says. “We’re starting rehearsals for a comeback. We’ll have to be in Korea for a couple of weeks, and then we’ll come back to China to promote.”

“What about TFboys?” Yue asks.

“They need to stay here and promote, but we’ll spend time with them when we get back.” Tao explains.

“We can’t waste anytime trying to fix this problem.” Luhan adds. “You can go around the research labs at different Korean universities and see if there’s any technology that might be useful.”

“That’s actually sounds like a pretty good idea. And I’ve always wanted to go to Korea” Yue says getting excited again.

“Oh, you’ll love it” Lay says.