The Banpo Bridge.

The Art of Love.
Please log in to read the full chapter

“mmm…” I stretched my arms and legs as far as I could, opened my eyes and got blinded by the sunlight coming through the expansive windows. This morning is different.

My first night in Seoul wasn’t as great as I thought it would be. I’ve got nothing to complain about the room and the bed is so fluffy I feel like I’m lying on clouds. It’s my mind running wildly that gave me a hard time sleeping. After talking with my sister through video chat and passing time in the patio, waiting for my body to give me a signal that it’s ready to retire for the night, I head to my room and prepared for bed right away. At first I thought sleep is going to take over in a snap since I’m tired and drained from the day. Instead, I found myself with a ball of clay in my hand, just squeezing it like a stress ball while lying down and looking up at the ceiling.

“Ugh!” I groaned and buried my face in between the pillow and the mattress. I suddenly long for my family. Wondering how they are, brought me to tears. I bet they’re having breakfast right this very minute and maybe my sister, Vilma, is talking about how her work is ruining her social life. That girl should actually be thankful that she was able to finish college in time and earning money while here I am, still studying when people my age are working or have families, or both already. I also realized that a quiet surrounding is not as peaceful as I thought it was because it’s truly deafening. Can’t help but to miss Mama’s shouting in the morning while shaking my shoulder just to wake up. My ears have rested from her noise for a day now and I think I’ve had enough.

“Oh!” Loud music started banging the walls of my room which surprised me and waked my senses up. Good thing I love Hip-hop. Whoever is blasting music this early have the same taste as me. Completely awake, I said a short prayer, thanking God for another day and asking for guidance today.

“Fear now when, fear not why, fear not much while were alive, life is for living not living tight….” I rapped while taking a bath. Hip-hop can really be a feel good music at times when all you want is the normal to the not-so-normal life you’re living for the meantime, even with dissing and trash talking. My parents, especially Mama, hates it whenever she hears hip-hop songs in the house. But when my sisters are blasting their favorite RnB songs that can be very sensual and ual, she’s all good with it. Not that I care for I still go with my jam, shoving songs of 2pac, Eminem, Snoop Dog, and Kanye West on their faces.

Smelling like donut because of the vanilla scented soap I used, I put on a grey sequin sleeve sweatshirt with my favorite number, 8, printed on it. An acid washed skinny jeans and matched it with black slip-on sneakers. I’ve never worn make-up except if I need to or I’m forced. This is how simple and comfortable I dress, that for most people I know is very un-fashionable. What can they do anyway?

“Let’s dance is style, let’s dance for a while, heaven can wait we’re only watching the skies. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst, are you gonna drop the bomb or not? -” Even with a different song being played, I can’t keep the first song out of my head.

Walking out of my room, I told myself to not feel uncomfortable around the Chois anymore for they are really kind to me. There’s also no need to put a wall between us, because they are good people. They will be my family here in Korea for three months. It’s just right for me to reach out to them too, like the way they’re reaching out to me.

“Forever young, I want to be, forever young” I still can’t stop singing. “Do you really want to live forever, and ever…” The moment I reached the living room, I stopped. Hye Yoon Unnie is sitting on the lazy chair, feet up, focused on her phone that she didn’t even notice me walking in. So to not disturb her, I decided to go to the patio when she called me “Fili!” her soft voice really suit her sweet face. Brushing of my awkwardness, I smiled at her. “Good morning Hye Yoon…” I swallowed hard “Unnie” I followed.

“Aigoo” she pointed at the chaise lounge opposite the lazy chair “Sit there!” I obliged. Settling down, I saw a bottle of red wine on the center coffee table and a half-empty wine glass. Isn’t it too early to drink?

She put her feet down and reached for the glass of red wine. Her eyes closed upon sipping, as if she’s devouring the liquid in . “Do you know that you’re up for a good time today?” she asked after swallowing hard. Wow. Good time. It sounds wonderful, but why am I having second thoughts about it?

Her smile tells me that she’s up to something and I’m not very good with that. Who would, right? Call me a party pooper, but I’m not really a fan of surprises. I’ll appreciate it more if I know it.

“Omma left early. She have gazillion meetings in the company today” Unnie said and offered me her glass of wine. I shook my head. “Thanks Unnie, but I don’t drink” I told her. She gave out a pout. “Too bad, but very nice at the same time. How I wish I’m like you who doesn’t drink too”

If she only knew how strong alcohol can affect me. I get wasted easily. There was a time when my friends and I went drinking and I got drunk after two shots of Vodka. Ended up being teased for being a wild child, all because I grabbed a guy dancing with his friends on the dance floor and asked him, more like hogged him to dance with me. After that, I can’t even touch a bottle of alcohol or beer anymore.

Unnie and I spent an hour talking about Seoul. She told me that there are really beautiful places to visit. And because it’s my first time here, I need to see some of them, so she offered to tour me around even when I keep on telling her that I can do it on my own and all I need is a map just like any other tourists to get by. “Omma actually told me to tour you around the city, and Fili, I’m more than willing to do so. After all, it’s been a long time since I’ve been to these places. I’m sure it’s going to be so much fun going there again.” she said. And I give in. “Let’s just wait for Seunghyun. I talked to him a while ago about driving us and of course he said yes”

Seunghyun. That guy is still a big question mark to me. I don’t know why, but he’s quite pissing me off every time he calls me “Babo”, which by the way, I still don’t know what it means.

“Unnie” I called and she looked at me with a smile. “What does Babo mean?” I asked, trying to remember if it’s really the word he said. But nevertheless, they sound the same, so maybe she can get it. Her smile was replaced by curiosity. “Babo?” she said and I nodded. Clueless, she laughed. “It means, stupid”

STUPID! What the heck! That guy called me stupid three times already and here I am thinking that it’s some kind of name you call a stranger. How could he!

“Why do you ask by the way?” Ha! Wait for it Choi Seunghyun. I will tell your sister about it. “Seunghyun called me Babo three times yesterday. First was when we bumped into each other on the hallway, and when he mysteriously showed up at the patio where I stayed to talk with Ate Gloria”

Feeling sorry, she sighed heavily. “In behalf of my brother, I’m really sorry Fili” she said apologetically. This is not right. Why is she the one apologizing when she didn’t even do anything? “Unnie – “ I called. “You see Fili. Seunghyun is not in good shape right now. He’s heartbroken – “she rolled her eyes. “For some time now. But trust me, he’s a good guy. It’s just that, he doesn’t know how to handle himself. Don’t worry he’ll get the whacking he needs fo

Please log in to read the full chapter