The fight.

The Art of Love.
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Have you thought of a better way already?”

y time after a day of being strangers is unexpectedly more passionate than I expected. I came unprepared. I thought we’re just going to sleep, maybe talk for a bit before that, but the moment the door closed behind me, I found myself in his arms, our lips locked on each other. Unlike the first time it doesn’t feel weird. The only thing is, I’m so bothered by the fact that Mrs. Choi is just down the hallway on the other wing, while Libby is in my room that is in front of his. Noise is inevitable, of course, that’s why to not be too noisy I bit my lower instead of (and made it bleed twice).

Like me, Seunghyun is too tired to function that he answered me with his eyes closed, “I’m going to the Philippines with you”

“What? NO!” I exclaimed, making him open his eyes in surprise. “Why is that?” he asked in confusion. I propped up and looked straight into his eyes, “Look, the idea is good. As a matter of fact, I like it….” He smiled at me in satisfaction, “…but, I don’t think it’s going to work simply because your life is here in Seoul and going with me to the Philippines will force you to change lives. And, you have already planned your future, specifically after graduation and it is here, in this place, that you pictured it becoming real. In time, I’m sure your idea of moving with me will work, but for now, let’s think of another way”.

No. I didn’t turn him down again or rejected him. I was just being considerate. I mean, bringing him home with me is great but it will surely take a lot of time to adjust, when he can use that time to make his dreams happen already right after he graduates.

“So…what now?” he asked. It’s obvious that he’s frustrated.

I snuggled closer to him, tightening my hug. “Why don’t we just go with our first agreement? We will work hard on our relationship even if we’re miles away. After all, being in a long distance relationship has its advantages too” I hope that the smile on my face is comforting enough for him.

He sighed heavily. I smirked and proudly said as if I really know what I’m talking about. “As they say, “Absence makes the heart grow fonder”” he stared at me as if I said something silly then chuckled, “Your absence will make me go insane” he said and tapped the tip of my nose with his finger. I wrinkled it, making him giggle.

“Did you know that couples in a long distance relationship have more meaningful interactions than the ones who are not?” I read this somewhere and it now come handy. He raised his eyebrow in curiosity, “Why is that?”

“It’s because for them, time is really precious than wasting it over senseless matters, which makes sense because communication is limited. Also, most of the couples I know say that they believe that once they survived the distance, they can survive ANYTHING!” I spread my arms for emphasis.

Distance can make or break a relationship, but most of the time, it makes sacrifices worth it. It molds the couples in their best shape, making them mature, which is very much needed in a relationship.

The room is silent. We are only staring at each other, trying to weigh our emotions and read each other’s minds. I wonder if he can see my worry for his upcoming trip through my eyes. Yes, I’m still bothered by him and Jenny together without me in another country for one whole week. I know I’m not supposed to be feeling this way, but for some reason, I just cannot brush it off.

“Ah!” I snapped up, raising my index finger. Seunghyun flinched, “What?” he asked cutely. It seems like the sleep monster gave up on me, so I’ll talk this night away until I get sleepy again.

“Another advantage is, we are going to be independent. You know how relationships work. More likely than not, couples become so dependent to each other that they cannot decide for themselves anymore, losing their identities. Depending on your partner is fine, but it doesn’t have to be too much. But unlike them, we’re going to learn how to be independent while dependent at the same time. You know, think differently, move differently, but asking each other for advices and suggestions. Let’s also think of each other while doing something, whether good or bad, just to count each other in everything. This is the best way of all, coz worst comes to worse, break up will happen and with our independence, we can go on with our lives a pound lighter than it should weigh”

We have never talked nor thought about break up. Who will? But, saying something about it once in a while is good.

“We are never breaking up” I expected for him to say this, “I will not let that happen” he continued and all I can do is smile. I’m touched. “I know” I told him, “But we can never tell” this brought sadness in his eyes, but I know that he knows I’m saying this because it’s reality.

Caressing his right cheek and smiling sweetly, “Our relationship will also be more than physical” the smile on my face turned into a grin, while he’s just staring at me. “Yes, we started being intimate already but once there’s no anymore, that’s where we’ll begin to see what our souls are really like. In that way, we can be sure that the attraction is not just because of what we see on the outside but more of what’s inside”

Sure, plays a big role in a relationship, but it’s not just that we should look forward to or focus at because once the dies, you will lose the reason of being in a relationship. There are billions of ways of to show love aside from it anyway.

He smiled and reached for my hand then intertwined his fingers to mine, while looking straight into my eyes, “You just talked me out of some serious , you know that?” he said, making me nod in agreement. “I certainly did” I replied proudly.

Now, we can more with our hearts than just being random always. This is the moment when I can say that we have already passed the stage where all we can think about is fantasy and not the reality ahead of us.

“Seunghyun-ah!”

“Seunghyunie!”

I swear! All I want right now is to sleep and the noise outside is making it so impossible for me to have.

“Seunghyun-ah! Yah! Open the door!”

“Seunghyunie, son, I need you to wake up now”

Please be quiet. Please stop banging the door. Please shut up.

“Fil, this is Ate Gloria and I seriously need to talk to you right now”

That’s it! Ok! Goodbye sleepiness, hello nervousness.

Scrambling to get out of the room in the fastest way possible, I almost knocked the lamp shade on the side table.

“Seunghyun” I shook him by the shoulder, “Seunghyun” I whispered a little too loudly in his ear. “You’re going to wake up now or my sister will knock your door down” my heart is beating very fast, like I just did the most strenuous work out ever programmed. “Please!” I’m not hopeless.

“What’s going on?” Finally! He woke up!

I didn’t speak, letting him hear it for himself.  “!” he stormed up and searched for his clothes on the floor. Slipping it in, he looked at me, “Why aren’t you getting dressed yet?”

“Ow!” I snapped and fumbled through my clothes. While wearing my bra, I heard him chuckle, “I know. My body is still amusing to you even if you have touched every bit of it already”. I think he’s still dreaming. “Are you joking or what?” I teased, making him smirk. “No worries. I feel the same with you too. Truth is, if they’re not outside, I will pin you in bed and make love to you again” he said, making me blush, BIG TIME!

“Guys, c’mon!” Hye yoon unnie’s voice changed from soft to mad and it made me more nervous.

I don’t know what’s going to happen once we open the door. What I’m sure is, it’s not going to be good.

“Ready?” Seunghyun tightened his grip on the doorknob, waiting for my cue. I nod, “Yeah”

The moment the door opened, I felt the heavy stare of four pairs of eyes. Mrs. Choi still looks cool though, but Ate Gloria is a different case, her eyes are flaming.

“Good…Morning” I greeted awkwardly and bowed my head down. Someone sighed heavily. “Let’s go to the living room” Mrs. Choi said, sounding serious.

They let us walk first. With them behind us, I feel like we’re prisoners being led to our death chambers. As much as I want to stay calm, I can’t help but be in a mess. This is so embarrassing.

Seunghyun held my hand all of a sudden, making me flinch. He’s gently rubbing his thumb on top of my hand as if comforting me.

We reached the living room in silence. Mrs. Choi sat on the single couch, facing the long couch where Hye yoon unnie made Seunghyun and I sit. She, together with my sister shared the other single couch with unnie sitting on its arm chair. Libby on the other hand, chose to stay out of the scene, hanging out at the pool area instead.

My hand began to sweat with my heart banging hard. I cannot look at neither one of them, so I have my head down.

“As much as I don’t want to ask you this….” Mrs. Choi started, “What happened in there?” she asked straightforwardly.

How will we answer that?

Seunghyun sighed, making me look at him. He looked back and gave out a sweet smile. I have a strong feeling that he will tell the truth, which is going to be so embarrassing. Oh well, I’m sure they know it anyway.

“First and foremost…” he turned to my sister whose eyes are still raging in anger, “I want to apologize to you Noona and to your whole family for bringing Fili into this”. What a man! He’s really going to admit whatever it is they have in mind that we did. My sister didn’t answer.

To his Omma, “I know what’s in your mind and yes, it’s true and I take full responsibility of it”

To be honest, I really don’t get it. Why do they care so much about this when we’re adults already? All right, maybe it’s because of morality, but isn’t a normal thing for lovers

Please log in to read the full chapter