The first day of school.

The Art of Love.
Please log in to read the full chapter

Today, is THE day. Finally, after a week of not walking and basically just bumming around, I was permitted by my Ortho-doctor to go to school already. As a matter of fact, he’s surprised because my recovery is faster than expected. If only he knows how hard I pushed myself when he asked me to walk during my recent check-up, he’ll flip. Personally, I think my foot hasn’t healed fully yet and I still have to rest it for another week, but I can’t last a day thinking that school have started and I’m missing a lot. Good thing Mrs. Choi is friends with the Dean of Fine Arts at the University. He’s considerate enough to schedule me for tutorials after my regular classes for a week, for me to catch up.

I woke up even before my alarm rings. My nerves are shooting up in giddiness. I really can’t wait to go to school.

“Schedule. Schedule. Schedule” I’ve already prepared my things for today and of course, it’s unorganized, for I have this habit of just throwing everything in the bag without double checking if I miss out some things. “Here you are!” I pulled out the piece of paper with my classes and schedules, the one Seunghyun made.

   

DAY

SUBJECT

TIME

MONDAY/WEDNESDAY

DRAWING (4)

10:00AM – 1:00PM

 

HISTORY OF CONTEMPORARY SCULPTURE

1:30PM – 4:30PM

 

PRACTICE OF SCULPTURE (4)

5:00PM – 8:00PM

 

 

 

TUESDAY/THURSDAY

CARVING

8:00AM – 11:00PM

 

STUDY OF MIXED MEDIA (4)

11:30AM – 2:30PM

 

ADVANCED TECHNIQUES AND SCULPTURE

4:00PM – 7:00PM

 

 

 

FRIDAY

ANATOMY OF ARTIST

9:00AM – 12:00PM

 

METAL SCULPTURE

1:00PM – 4:00PM

 

 

 

 

Looking at it, I can say that I’m in for a toxic semester. My load is not as packed as my last semester in the Philippines, but the subjects I have are mostly major. “Help me God!” All I can do is pray.

Not to be late, I started preparing for school three hours early. I still have to condition myself, which will help me go through the day without any problem. Like what my Papa said last night when we video chat, “Be in good shape. Body and Mind”

“Fili”. As I was combing my hair after bath, Hye Yoon Unnie called while knocking on the door. With my hair still dripping wet, I opened it and welcomed her. “Good Morning Unnie!” I greeted and she smiled at me. “Morning!” she greeted back and settled on my bed. “Nervous?”

I sighed heavily and flopped myself on the vanity chair, “I am”. She hissed “C’mon Fili! It’s just a first day thing. I’m sure you’re going to fit in and adjust right away”. I hope so. I really, really, hope so. “What are you going to wear?” she asked, making me look at the clothes I’m wearing.

What’s up with Unnie? Haven’t she noticed that I’m already dressed?

She shook her head upon taking another look at what I’m wearing “No”. “NO” she repeated and walked to the closet. I followed her and sat on the round couch in the middle of the room. Scanning the rack, “You can’t go to school wearing a plain white shirt, denim jeans and sneakers when I bought you a lot of stylish clothes. Seriously Fili”. She’s starting to sound like my sister, Cora, but still tame and considerate.

Before, whenever my sisters dress me, they will force me to wear what they want me to wear without even asking if I’m game for it or not, while with Unnie, she asks even though most of the time I cannot say no.

“Do you think you can pull this off on the first day?” she asked, holding a red day dress. “A pair of white flats will look good with it”. One thing I hate is wearing a dress, especially in school because I don’t know how to work it. Also, I sit like a guy. It’s comfortable.

After almost thirty minutes of looking for a perfect “first day outfit”, we finally found one that is a bit fine with me. A black, long sleeves belted stretch-jersey jumpsuit, matched with gold studded ballet flats. Unnie also styled my hair, tying it into a messy bun. As for my face, I told her that I don’t want to wear a full make-up, so she just put some BB cream on me, brushed some blush on my cheeks and ran a pale pink lipstick on my lips. In all fairness to her, she really made me look like a human.

“What time will your class start?” she asked while we’re walking down the stairs. “Ten o’clock Unnie” I answered while checking my bag for my school I.D. “Great!” she clasped her hands and smiled at me. “Let’s eat breakfast first and then, I’ll drive you to school”

I already made it clear with Mrs. Choi and Unnie that I want to go to school on my own, but because it’s my first day, Unnie insisted to drive me there and I just let her, for I know that she will bug me about it till I give in.

“Seunghyunie!” she called upon seeing her brother walking in the kitchen. Expressionless, as usual, he walked to the dining area. He’s ready for school with a beanie on his head, red hoodie, cream colored pants that fits perfectly on his thighs and , and sneakers. Totally chic but laidback.

“What?” he is always grumpy in the morning. No. Make that ALL DAY. Unnie is so used to him, she doesn’t really care about his attitude anymore. “I’ll drive Fili to the University. How about you?” she asked. Seunghyun sighed, “I’ll go there by myself” he replied. “How? Have you forgotten? Your car is still at the repair shop” she said, reminding her brother of the stupid thing he did just a few days ago.

Friday last week, Seunghyun went out to drink. Mrs. Choi already told him not to bring his car and just call her or Unnie if he wants to go home already so that they can pick him up wherever he is. The hard-headed guy still brought his car, ending up at the police station in the middle of the night for bumping into another car while going out of a parking lot. His poor car’s hood and headlights were damaged. Good thing, he’s wearing a seatbelt and the impact is not that strong, he isn’t injured.

“” he muttered and

Please log in to read the full chapter