The first meeting.

The Art of Love.
Please log in to read the full chapter

After getting my suitcase, my nerves started pumping up again. I’m really here! Excitement is mixing with my nerves but first, I must find Mrs. Choi who is going to foster me for three months. According to her, she’s going to wear a green coat today and will stand right in front of the arrival door.

Where. Where. Where.  I’m beginning to panic already. “OH!” I pointed at the letter paper sized banner “Filipinas Mercado!” I read my name and walked to the woman holding it. “Welcome to Korea!” Mrs. Choi said the moment I reached her. She hugged me without awkwardness and scanned me from head to foot. “Aigoo. You’re pretty!” she said and I chuckled. It’s not everyday that somebody say I’m pretty. I might as well take it and claim it.

“Thank you Mrs. Choi” I said. “You’re really stunning” I told her and she giggled like a teenager. From the way she looks, I can never tell that she’s pass forty already. Her eyes caught my eye right away because they’re too expressive and quite big for a Korean.  “Seoul is an hour or so away from here, depending on the traffic” she grabbed my suitcase in a swish and wheeled it down. I tried getting it from her but she will not give it to me. “You are the first person we’ll foster. Do you know that?” she asked while we’re on our way to her car.

From what I remember, my eldest sister is friends with Mrs. Choi’s daughter. She told them about my being an exchange student here and asked for suggestions of a safe place to stay and the Chois offered to take me in since I’m much safer with them.

“Thank you for taking me in Ma’am” I said. “Kamsahamnida” I bowed, making her laugh. She patted my arm lightly. “Don’t worry about it. We’re really happy to take you in”

Now I can say that I’m safe and that I can relax a bit already. Surprisingly, I don’t feel nervous anymore. As a matter of fact, I’m comfortable. Maybe Mrs. Choi’s warm welcome helped.

“It seems like you did your homework” she put on her seatbelt and adjusted her seat. “You just said a Korean word a while ago”. I chuckled. “To be honest Ma’am, I only know the greetings and some phrases, other than that, I know nothing anymore”. She laughed. “Don’t worry, after your three months stay here, you’ll be able to speak at least a little Korean. That is, if you have the patience to learn it”

If only she knows about my poor memory, she will not keep her hopes up. Really, I forget a lot, and it’s one of my biggest problems. “There are only four of us in the house. My husband is a Navy officer, he’s living in a headquarters in Busan. I have two children. My eldest is a girl, her name is Hye Yoon. Like your sister, she worked in New Zealand too as a Chef but came back here for good after five years of being there. My youngest is a boy, he’s the same age as you are, so I’m expecting you two to be friends. His name is Seunghyun. Like you, he’s also taking up Fine Arts but specializes in Painting”

Wow! That guy is someone to look up to. I wish for us to be friends like what Mrs. Choi is expecting. “They are kind. Don’t be shy around them” she glanced at me and smiled. “Well, Seunghyun can be a little moody at times, but he’s tolerable”.

It figures. Most painters I know are moody or if not, weird. I don’t know if being so creative and imaginative contributes to that, but they tend to be so out of this world sometimes. But still, they are amazing people for they do what I love to do but can’t.

The moment we arrived in Seoul, I can’t look away from the window anymore. I can say that there are a lot of differences from where I came from and here, but I still find my homeland, wonderful. This place is lively and I haven’t even stepped a foot on its ground yet.

Grand. This is the first word that came into mind the moment Mrs. Choi pulled up in front of their house. The house is wrapped in flat stones, very castle-looking, with glass windows everywhere. It’s as grand and elegant looking like the houses in first-class subdivisions and villages in Metro Manila. I remember when I was about seven, I’ll save five peso coins every day, thinking that the moment I fill up my piggy bank, I can buy my family a mansion already.

I pulled my suitcase out of the car’s trunk before Mrs. Choi does. A smile never leaves her face, making me forget how I miss home. I’ve only been here in Korea for a few hours, but I’m missing my family so badly already. Good thing I’m so eager to be here, because if I’m not, the possibility of me throwing out this great opportunity is not far from happening.

“Good. They’re both here” Mrs. Choi said as we passed a white hummer and a black Mercedes. She turned to me and excitedly pulled me beside her. “I thought Seunghyun is at school” she said as we approach the front door. I can feel her excitement. She’s just so enthusiastic. “Welcome to our home Fili!”

Smiling warmly, she opened the double mahogany doors, revealing the grandest foyer I have ever seen. Two stories high in height, floor in fine white marble, grand circular carpeted stairs, perfectly lit by a large crystal chandelier. I know I haven’t seen anything yet, but ‘m completely blown away already.

Eyes almost popping out of its sockets. I look around with my mouth hanged open. I only see these types of houses on television. “The house is quite huge, but don’t be intimidated by it because it’s easy to find your way around” she held my arm and smiled again. “Also, don’t be shy to walk around and use everything. Make this your home too”. How sweet of her. “I’ll tour you. But first, I’ll introduce you to Hye Yoon and Seunghyun”

For some unexplainable reason, my heart started banging my chest once again. I kind of know Mrs. Choi’s daughter through my sister, and I’m looking forward to meeting her son after knowing that we share the same interest.

Dragging my suitcase behind me and clutching the rosary given to me by the old woman on the plane in my pocket, I tailed Mrs. Choi. We passed by a hall full of framed pictures on the wall. They must like being photographed. Our family have our own version of this. Only thing is, the pictures are not taken by a professional, except for most of my sisters’ pageant photos. Also, they are not hanged on the wall, for they are on an old table that Papa painted to look new again.

AMAZING! This house is making me feel like I’m in the White House or some Billionaire’s home. As expected, the main living room is also jaw-dropping. There’s no need of fluorescent lights because natural light from the massive w

Please log in to read the full chapter