The start of the lies.

The Art of Love.
Please log in to read the full chapter

Being with my new friends after all that happened a while ago, feels awkward. I don’t know how to act around them. They might look like they don’t care, but I know deep inside they’re itching for an explanation. Thing is, they won’t be hearing the truth for most of the things I’ll be telling them are lies.

“So –“ I’m weighing them for quite some time now and this is the right moment for it. But, I don’t know how to start and what to say. “What’s with you and Seunghyun?” Soobin cannot control herself anymore, which I prefer for I don’t have to drain my brain to its last drop, thinking.

Haeun nodded, “Yeah. How did you know him and Jenny?”

“Actually, you seem so close to Seunghyun and Jenny looks like she wants to bury you alive” Minjoon followed and my heart raced.

I took a deep breath and exhaled, hoping to get through with this smoothly, “I know Seunghyun for a while now. Even before I went here to Korea. Truth is, aside from studying, I came here for him”. I heard myself and every word that came out from my mouth, I didn’t expect. My plan was to only tell them that I know Seunghyun but not about our fake relationship yet.

“Huh?” Jiwoo and the rest are confused more than ever. They are being slaughtered by curiosity and I want to save them by the lies I allowed to be put in my mouth.

“I’m sorry for not telling you that I know him. It’s just that, I got curious of what others think of him and how they see him” I apologized from the heart, “Well, Choi Seunghyun is –“ I paused and looked at each of them.

This is not the first time I lied but this is extreme. I’m such a bad friend and I feel worse.

“OH MY!” Soobin seemed to know what I’m about to say next. The others are waiting patiently. “He’s my –“, I closed my eyes and hanged my head down, “Boyfriend”. The word tasted sour in my mouth.

They were shocked to death by my confession. None of them said a word. They looked at each other and stared at me with eyes, big as an owl in disbelief, while I prepare to be thrown out by them from the group.

“Wow!” Minjoon broke the silence, “Just……WOW!”

Haeun chuckled. “I knew it!” Jiwoo said then giggled, “You acted so good in pretending that you don’t know him. Gosh! Now I’m recalling what I said about him a while ago” she said and all I can do is smile. Soobin pushed her by the arm lightly, “Don’t worry, you didn’t tell her you had a long time crush on him”. Woojin laughed, “Now she knows”.

This is not what I saw coming. They are taking it lightly. “Guys” I called and they looked at me with smiles on their faces, “You’re not mad at me?”

Soobin smirked, “Do we look like we are?” she wrapped her arms around me. Minjoon hissed, “Honestly, I am”. It made me sad. I thought we’re all good already. But then he laughed, “I’m just joking! Why would we get mad at you?” he smiled at me and I sighed in relief. Haeun nodded in agreement, “Actually, it’s obvious that you two are in a relationship”

Curious, “How do you say that?”

She sighed and smiled, “Because, Seunghyun is totally different around you. He’s usually so plain, even when he and Jenny are still together”

“I don’t get it” I said, trying to understand.

Jiwoo sighed heavily, getting our attention, “When Seunghyun and Jenny are still in a relationship, they are not obvious at all, unless they say it. There are even times Seunghyun ignores her when all she want is to have him all over her, which at some point, happened. If I’m not mistaken that was when she started being cold to him. All of a sudden, he started hanging out with her friends more than his. He’s with her every break time and goes everywhere she goes. What he didn’t know is, it was her plan to make him feel the way he makes her feel. The most interesting part there is, she’s already cheating on him. How she did it knowing that they’re together all the freakin’ time, nobody knows, but it’s really a good thing Seunghyun came back to his senses and called their relationship off”

“He’s not that concerned with Jenny. He doesn’t approach her when she’s alone unlike what he did to you a while ago. Also, he doesn’t stare at her the way he does to you” Soobin added.

My mind is ed up. I don’t know what my friends saw a while ago, resulting for them to interpret things way too much. What shocked and intrigued me is the way he treated Jenny. He’s madly-in love with her and he doesn’t show concern and ignores her. Oh well, maybe that’s the way he is.

“Staring” I said. Soobin grinned, “We’re observing the two of you the whole time, which I’m sure most of our classmates are doing as well”. “The room might be dark but our bionic eyes can see you. I’m telling you, we nearly squealed our heads off” Minjoon said and I just faked a laugh.

“He stares at you from time to time. You must’ve been watching the video intently because you didn’t notice, but he is. Actually, when the lights went on and Mr. Song is babbling about our requirements and projects, we saw him staring at you with a sweet smile on his face, the kind people who are truly in-love shows. Believe me, he looks at you with full of love” Jiwoo said.

Chills ran down my spine. How crazy is that?

“He must love you so much” Woojin spoke after being quiet from some time. The rest nodded. “Your chemistry is to envy. I have a feeling that you will last long and eventually get married” Minjoon said, taking this matter too far.

“How long have you been together anyway?” Haeun asked and I recalled the part where Seunghyun said the number of months. “Six months. Though technically it’s only been three months, because the first half is our “getting to know” stage. We combined it” I told them.

Thank goodness I remembered! My memory really needs to sharpen, for it’s going to be more stressful if I forget. I’ll repeat all our made-up stories at night before going to bed so that I remember them well the next day.

“So the rumors of Seunghyun chasing Jenny desperately up until now is not true. Apparently, her group keep on telling this story that he’s working so hard to get her back” Jiwwo said and I rolled my eyes.

Minjoon hissed, “If I know, it was Jenny who is desperately chasing Seunghyun. It’s possible because ever since he broke up with her, her popularity went notches down. Not to mention, she has been labeled as the greatest cheater of all time. He wants her back to redeem herself”

I’m yet to know the real story, though it’s not impossible for Seunghyun to chase her. And if he is, I’ll definitely slap him on the cheek real hard for his foolishness. I mean, why would you want to be with somebody who hurt you so damn much? I’m sure he’s no masochist who enjoys pain, just plain stupid for being blinded by love.

Up until our next class, all they talk about is Seunghyun and Jenny’s relationship. According to Haeun who attended the same middle school as the two, Jenny is really not into the arts. She’s not even interested in going to college. Possessive, she followed Seunghyun in this university and took up the same specialty as his to keep any eye on him. If not for her Father and the tutors he hired to teach her how to draw and paint, she will not survive. The story that annoyed me to the core is when Jenny nearly got a student kicked-out by the university by spreading rumors that she’s having an affair with a professor just because Seunghyun is so fond of her and got close to her. It’s so pathetic of her to almost ruin an innocent person. She went far and beyond to keep Seunghyun, but it seems like a man-hungry will always be man-hungry no matter how good the man she’s with is.

Not just that, Woojin also told me the story of Jenny’s last cheating incident. The guy she dated behind Seunghyun is a good friend of the two. They hang out and go on vacations together. What Seunghyun doesn’t know is, the reason why the guy’s always with them is because he’s in a relationship with Jenny. Concerned people already warned Seunghyun about the two and even showed evidences but for some time, he didn’t believe them, thinking that they’re only talking about Jenny because they hate her for him, when truth is, i

Please log in to read the full chapter