The mural.

The Art of Love.
Please log in to read the full chapter

I cannot believe what I’m seeing. It is true!

Seunghyun wrapped his arm around my shoulders while I was looking up in awe, “Surprise!” his tone is so sweet it made my heart skip a beat. I looked at him in awe, smiling “It’s really true”. He chuckled and nodded, “Obviously”.

Completely amazed, I flopped in bed on my back to have a full view of the ceiling that is only a hue of yellow a while ago but is now so colorful and lively.

I remember when my friends told me that Seunghyun painted a mural on his room ceiling, I wanted to see it badly to the point that I nearly begged him to show it to me or if he doesn’t want to, I’ll sneak in his room again like what I did the last time.

Happy to see his mural once again, he lay down on the carpet at the foot of my bed. “How did you come up with this? How is it even possible?” I’m asking too much questions when I know he hates it. He inhaled long and exhaled slowly, “I’m so in-love with the view of the city from the balcony. Ever since we got here, every night, I’ll go out and look at the city, that is so alive with enticing lights and when I look up at the sky, the moon and the stars coincide perfectly with it”

I’m listening to him while looking at the perfection of his artwork. “I started painting at the age of five. Appa will buy me different sizes of canvass and different color palettes almost every week. He will watch me paint and never fail to praise me for a job well done after even when there are only splats and playful lines on the canvass” he chuckled at the memory. Suddenly, I’m more interested in his story than the mural. I lay on my stomach at the end of my bed, looking down at him. He smiled upon seeing me, “You might get bored with my stories Fili” he said. I shook my head, “Nothing is boring in the stories of life”.

With a smile, “That was in America where we lived for eight years. Moved there when I was two. And when I thought we’ll never leave, Omma and Appa decided to come back here to Seoul because according to them, they want Noona and I to grow up in the place where we really belong. At first I have Noona protesting with me, but after a while they were able to convince her, leaving me feeling alone and betrayed. When we arrived here, instead of feeling home, I felt like an outsider, a foreigner. I speak the language and understand it perfectly but for a very long time, I pretended I can’t. No one in school talks to me and I don’t really care about it. That’s when I learned the art of silence”

“I was ten then and I don’t have friends. My personality changed in a snap, making me the cold person that I am now. And because I don’t have a life, I tripped on hastening my skill in painting. In a day, I can make three to five paintings on canvass. I paint whatever is in front of me or around me. Then one summer afternoon, while at the balcony, the crazy idea of imitating Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel artwork came into mind. Only thing is, mine will not be from the book of Genesis but the view of the city from the balcony. It wasn’t easy, I’m telling you. It took me so many days and sleepless nights just to figure out how to bring my idea to life. Good thing, Harabeoji, Omma’s Father, came one day and asked me about my plans that summer and I told him about my idea. Right on that very day, he got a plywood and attached it to the ceiling, just like a chandelier, only square shaped and big. Then he assisted me up a ladder and made me lie on the plywood. From there, I carry on”

He suddenly sat up and faced me, “It took me six months to draw everything and another six months to paint in detail. All throughout that year, I did nothing but that. Also, that year, I stopped studying. It was a request of mine that my parents agreed on, with the hope that I’ll get the space I need to adjust to my new surroundings. By the time it was done – “ he looked up and back at me again, “I’m well adjusted, just in time for the new school year where I made friends and basically started my life here in Korea”

Seunghyun opening up to me in this level is really a surprise. I’m honored to hear his story, because he doesn’t share it to everyone for sure.

“First of all, you are not as cold as you think you are. There are times when you really don’t give a damn, which is so annoying by the way –“ I paused when he laughed, “But I swear, you are one of the few people who has melted my heart in the most special way, and that can be counted as a miracle already. If you’re cold, you wouldn’t care even a bit, you will not help out in every way you can as well, but you do. Also, if you’re cold, your friends will not stay with you, and they’re still there. So please Seunghyun, drop it out of your system. Don’t let that coldness define who you are, for your warmth is wonderful” I don’t know where I got these words, but they made him smile, which made me feel really good. “And that” I pointed at the mural on the ceiling, “That is one of the most beautiful I’ve ever seen. Of course, it doesn’t beat the works of Michelangelo, but it’s near that bar” I joked, making him laugh loudly.

Loving the compliments, Seunghyun smiled widely and pinched my cheeks. I just realized, these past few days (except for this morning), we go along better than before. He doesn’t call me “babo” anymore even when I make mistakes. Also, he treats me well here at home too, unlike before when he makes me feel like a ghost by ignoring me even when I’m already in front of him. Whatever came into him that made him kind and less of a bully, I prefer this.

I don’t know how long we stared at the mural. All I know is I’m still amazed by it. Who would ever think that a ten year old can paint an artwork in the most complicated manner? His talent is just so over the top.

Loud music woke me up, yet again. Well it’s been two days since I awakened this way, but unlike those days, I’m not annoyed by it at all. Most important thing is, I’m in a good mood this morning.

Still in my yesterday clothes, I rolled to my back and look at the ceiling with the same amusement. It’s much prettier and vibrant with the sun lighting the room. A smile appeared on my face instantly. This is going to be a good day. I know it and I claim it.

After bathing, I remembered the mess we left at the balcony last night. I wasn’t able to clean it anymore because of my fascination of the mural and also, I think I fell asleep after Seunghyun’s story.

I dashed out of the bathroom to check on my project just to find the balcony spotless. The center table that he carried out from the room is back on its original place already, the soap that I carved along with my tools are neatly placed on it. Is he the one who cleaned this or I did, it’s just that I can’t remember or something

Please log in to read the full chapter