The "Lovers quarrel".

The Art of Love.
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

So in one way or another, we already know each other’s families. Not that deep, but just right for fake lovers. One essential number crossed out on our “plan list” and a few more to go.

After reading Jiwoo’s message, I felt bad because I want to be partners with her. Well, Seunghyun will make a good partner (hopefully), because he’s really talented and we kind of know each other in a different level, making it easier for us to jive (though we really don’t). Thing is, I don’t want to be stuck with him, for I want to enjoy others company. I have friends and for sure I’ll still make some more, but having him with me all the time will make things complicated.

The sleep monster claimed me sooner than I thought. I freshened up, double checked my assignments for tomorrow and recall the stories, Seunghyun and I made-up and shared. This night is different from the others, for I don’t feel heavy like what I’m used to the past weeks, which is weird, because I should be stressed, now that I have a clue on who I’m going against in this “mission”; Jenny. Why wouldn’t I stress out when she ruined lives because of jealousy?

I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. If last night I feel light and good, now, it’s the opposite and I don’t have any clue why. You know that cranky-don’t talk-don’t look- just ignore me feeling. Honestly, I don’t get much of these days. And because of my unexpected mood change, even my “sense of style” is affected. Not that I’m planning to look like a true fashionista today, but I dressed lazier than usual. Browsing the rack of clothes that a lot of pieces I haven’t worn yet, I ran my hand through them and randomly pulled out whatever piece I feel like grabbing. I put on a denim jumper pants with a black tight T-shirt underneath and black platform sneakers. My hair is loose and messy, like I haven’t combed it even when I actually did.

“Better gather your up lady” I told myself in front of the mirror and sighed in frustration.

One thing I hate is starting my day out of element, solely because whenever I do, nothing goes right. The last time this happened, I ed up my midterm exam by only answering two pages out of five, for I’m not in the mood.

This is what girls go through from time to time I guess. What’s going to blow you up is, I’m far from my next period. Just imagine how intense my mood swings can be if it comes.

“Morning Fili!” Hye Yoon Unnie, as usual, is as bright as the sun. Forced myself to smile, “Good Morning Unnie!” I greeted and she smiled sweetly, making me feel less cranky. She whipped up breakfast of fruit shake (banana and strawberry), bread, bacon and egg. It’s been a while since the last time she prepared a meal. Finally, she had the rest she’s dying to have.

“How’s school?” she asked while putting food on my plate. Still not in the mood, I pull out a thin thread of interest out of my for a decent answer, “Challenging, but fun”. “That’s great!” she sounded thrilled, “Is Seunghyun helping you with school stuff?”

With a heavy sigh, “He is Unnie”. “Seems like you two are going so well these days. Omma told me that he waited for you yesterday, which I’m so grateful for because your dismissal is pretty late and I kind of worry about you going home alone”. And I smiled from the heart after hearing that. Unnie really takes care of me like a sister and I can’t thank her enough for it.

“Morning Seunghyunie!” Unnie greeted cheerfully but he didn’t even smiled at her. Instead, he grabbed a piece of bacon, pushed it in his mouth and gulped down a glass of water, “Let’s go Fili. We’re running late already” he said plainly and I looked at Unnie apologetically. “Go!” she mouthed and rolled her eyes, “He might be off element but everything’s gonna be fine. Just don’t mind him” she whispered in my ear.

Wonderful! Two off-mood humans have to endure the company of each other. I wonder what will this day be like for us. Who’s going to change moods first? How crazy or fun or intense can things be?

Almost late, we made it to class. Our professor’s not in the room yet. I looked for my friends right away and walked to them. That’s when I noticed, Jenny and her group are not seated on the second row when it and the first row are their favorite spots. They are now behind us.

“What’s going on?” I asked Haeun after settling down beside her. She looked behind then at me, and rolled her eyes, “I don’t know, but I have a feeling that they’re keeping an eye on you”.

Ridiculous! “Why?” I asked curiously. Haeun moved her chair closer to mine and leaned towards me, “This is how they roll. They will observe you with any chance they get”. And because I’m out of my element, I just sighed heavily and brushed it off. They can observe all they want and I wouldn’t care at all, not unless they do something bad to me.

Soobin nudged me all of a sudden, making me look at her. She pointed behind me using her lips and I turned to see what it is.

Seunghyun and his friends. From the second to the last row, they transferred to ours and occupied the seats beside me. Like me, he hasn’t snapped out of his bad mood yet.

“Jiwoo!” the guy in between Seunghyun and another guy called. He’s handsome too, but with a toned body. If Seunghyun’s eyes are his asset, this guy is his smile. It’s a real killer.

Haeun tapped my shoulder from behind. We’re a chair apart, Soobin in between us, “Jiwoo has frozen” she said softly, making me laugh. “Let it go Jiwoo. Let it go” Minjoon teased while patting her shoulder. Well, let’s just say that the Warhols’ impact on her is just so strong, she couldn’t believe one of them called her.

“She already know” Jiwoo sounded really shy. I get it. The guy must be Yong Wook.

The class started with most of us not listening to our professor. Except for my friends who are even taking notes. I, on the other hand is forcing myself to focus. Sadly, I can’t.

“OH!” Seunghyun slid a paper on my desk.

Listening or not?

Trying.

Bored?

Yeah.

Want to play a game?

Here we go again. We are chatting through notes and it’s starting to become a habit. Our eyes met and he’s the first to smile. It seems like his mood already changed. He’s feeling good again.

CALL!

Guess how many times Mr. Im will say “so” in five minutes.

Actually, I’ve noticed since the first time I attended this class that our professor whose polo is once again crumpled, says the word “so” in almost all of his sentences. It’s weird.

10.

All right, mine is 15.

OK. Five minutes starts now!

Both of us looked at our watches and listened to Mr. Im intently, and after a few seconds, the first “so” was said. We are tallying like crazy. I caught myself anticipating every word uttered and when it reached nine on the four minute mark, I panicked, because there’s still a lot of time and I only have one “so” to spare. Once it go over ten, I lose.

Excited, he wrote on the paper,

HA! I WON!

Damn! Mr. Im is so addicted to the word “so” and Seunghyun is so good in guessing.

Second round?

Yeah! I have to win!

Great! Now let’s guess how many times Soobin will check her phone in one minute.

CALL! I say 5.

6.

One. Two. Three. Four….

BOO YAH! 5! I WON!

He looked at me in disbelief and chuckled. My competitive blood is in full swing.

Final Round.

No need for that!

C’mon! This game will mean nothing if we’re tied.

Lazy but enjoying, I looked at him and he smiled at me once again.

FINE!

Haha! Ok. Guess how many pencils are in Ilwoo’s pencil case

Who?

I looked at him curiously and he pointed at the guy in front of us, dressed in all black with a Mohawk hair. How the heck will I know how many pencils he has when I didn’t even know his name seconds ago?

10.

Seunghyun looked at me and chuckled, that’s when I realized he might be cheating.

35.

Isn’t it too much? I mean, who will bring thirty pencils in school? Yeah. We’re art students, but not even the most dedicated to sketching or drawing of any kind will bring that much.

Giddy, Seunghyun leaned forward and tapped Ilwoo’s shoulder. He turned to him and the look on his face can easily tell that how shocked he is. “Can I borrow your pencil case?” Seunghyun asked and like a hypnotized person, Illwoo handed it to him.

I’m so sure that my friends and his are intrigued by what we’re doing. He started pulling out one pencil after another, as I wait anxiously.

“Thirty five!” he excitedly pulled out the last pencil and I am in awe. I wonder what Ilwoo is doing with them. Is he a collector? Obsessed? Fascinated?

“Winner” he mouthed proudly. Not wanting to give up just like that, I countered…

CHEATER!

He faced me in disbelief, getting attention from the class when his chair made a noise. “I’m not” he said in the softest manner. I smirked, “Yes you are”. Agitated, “I’m not. Why can’t you just accept that you’re a loser?” he said and he unconsciously pressed my wrong button.

“I will accept it if you didn’t cheat, but you did, so-“

“Ms. Mercado! Mr. Choi!” Mr. Im yelled and next thing I know it, he’s standing in front of us already, eyes firing in rage, “If you’re having a lovers quar

Please log in to read the full chapter