029

Sweet Nothings II

1980s!AU: Luhan is in his 40s and just got divorced, and is set to find again his first love, Oh Sehun. [this happened because of this tweet.]

 

 

Signing his name on the dotted line, Luhan closed another chapter in his life at the age of 40. His wife or rather ex - wife walked out of the room, barely sparing a glance at him. Smiling bitterly to himself, he never thought his marriage would end up in a divorce.

He thought he had given her his best but it appeared that his best wasn’t what she wanted or rather his best wasn’t enough for her. She wanted more than what Luhan could give her and eventually, she started to turn bitter because she felt that Luhan didn’t love her the way she wanted to be loved.

In his defense, Luhan did love her but as time passed, the poison slowly slipped into their relationship and it wasn’t long when he realised that just love alone wasn’t enough to sustain their relationship any longer.

It was a pity especially when they had married for ten years, how many couples managed to last for ten years? Then again, how many ten years are there in one’s life? At the age of 40, Luhan returned to his empty house and silence had never been so loud before.

There were no traces of their marriage life before, it was as though those ten years didn’t exist. Standing up, Luhan went in search of his photo album. Taking a couple of the albums, he started flipping through the pages. Memories started to flow, it was so vivid, feeling as though it was yesterday instead of years ago. Classmates who slowly lost contact as time passed because everyone was busy with their life, chasing after their dreams.

How laughable was it? Just like everyone else, Luhan had chased after his dreams, trying to leave his past but he had forgotten that his past made him who he was today. Those good old times which still bring a smile but he had no one to reminisce with when he left without saying a word to anyone, cutting of those ties.

Flipping through the pages mindlessly, he stopped at the picture of a face that still haunt him when he let his guard down. This face was the reason why he couldn’t give his ex-wife the love she wanted, Luhan had left his heart with the person in the picture.

Up until this moment, he never really did manage to get his heart back. Touching the photo gingerly, there was a soft smile on his face. A smile which he didn’t notice he had, a smile which his ex-wife had seen so many times but it was never directed at her. He thought he had left his feelings in the past when in fact, he was simply fooling himself.

He never did stop loving Oh Sehun and he probably will never stop because Sehun was his first love. As everyone had told him, first love was unforgettable. Sehun touched him on a personal level, he managed to get under Luhan’s skin and he wasn’t able to dig him out.

Maybe, all along, it wasn't because he was unable to do so, it was more of not wanting to do so. Swallowing, Luhan took out the photo and come to a decision. Escaping was probably the wrong decision and he decided that he should stop trying to fool himself, it wasn't working anyway otherwise, his marriage wouldn't end up in a divorce. 

“I am going to find you,” Luhan told the male in the photograph. “I am going to stop running.”

 

 

First day of high school was unlike any others and being the new transfer student, Luhan was so nervous that he almost wanted to throw up. Thank god, the thought of embarrassing himself was enough to force it down as he walked to the front of the class.

“I am Luhan,” he introduced himself. “I am from China and I hope to get along with everyone. We can play soccer – “

He was cut off by the sound of the door sliding, a boy with messy hair and sleepy eyes, his bag slung carelessly on one of his shoulders, walked into the class. With exasperation, the teacher glared at the boy who simply gave her a rueful grin. “Oh Sehun, is it so hard for you to be on time?”

“I was helping a granny – “

“ -  to cross the road?” The teacher cut him off and Sehun nodded. “Can you at least be more creative in coming with excuses?”

“Last week, I was guiding a blind man. The week before, I was helping a child to look for her parents – “

“Stop, get back to your seat.” The teacher told him sternly despite the laughter twinkling in his eyes. Giving him a salute, Sehun walked to the back of the class he greeted everyone along the way.

“I am sorry, Luhan. Please do continue with your introduction.” The teacher told him apologetically.

Taking a deep breath, Luhan started to make his introduction again. “Hi, I am Luhan from China. I hope – “

“Which part of China are you from?” Sehun asked lazily, his curiosity piped.

“Beijing,” Luhan answered him and he was getting just the slightest annoyance at being interrupted especially when he was so nervous.

“It is a beautiful place,” Sehun told him. “Welcome to our class.”

“Thank you,” Luhan replied before getting back to his introduction. Perhaps, his friendliness had rubbed off him but Luhan found his nervousness dissipating. 

 

 

Luhan decided that the first thing he had to do was to get in touch with his old friends. The first person to come to his mind was Baekhyun. Picking up his phone, he dialled the number which he had dialled ever so often in the past.

It rang twice, thrice before someone finally picked up. “Hello?”

“Baekhyun?” Luhan asked uncertainly and the phone went deadly silent. Did he call the wrong number or maybe Baekhyun had changed number? It was possible since so many years had passed.

“So you finally decided to call after these few years?” Baekhyun asked, his voice bitter and there was a trace of hurt.

“I am sorry,” Luhan said quietly. He knew it was wrong of him to leave without even telling anyone.

“You are not forgiven,” Baekhyun replied and Luhan’s heart dropped. How could he be so naïve to think that Baekhyun will forgive him so easily? They were the best of friends and he had left without telling him. “Not unless you apologise to me face to face.”

“Baekhyun,” Luhan cried softly. “I am so sorry.”

 

 

Luhan was told to sit next to Sehun and he realised that the boy next to him like to look out of the window. But he decided that it was good that Sehun liked to look outside of the window because then, he could stare at Sehun’s profile without being brand as creepy.

Sehun was handsome, looking as though his features were chiselled. With no turning at all, Sehun had turned to look at Luhan. Caught red handed by Sehun, Luhan’s face turned red rapidly as he averted his eyes.

He quickly took the book to cover his face, hoping to god that Sehun didn’t think that he was creepy. After a while, he heard a chuckle from Sehun as he drawled lazily. “Your book is upside down.”

His face heated up again as he glared at Sehun. Didn’t he know that he shouldn’t point out such thing blatantly? “I like reading my book upside down.”

Amusement were clear on Sehun’s face as he cocked an eyebrow up, making Luhan feel so stupid for saying such a thing. “That is a good talent to have, I hope I can do that too.”

“I am going to the toilet,” Luhan stood up and exited the class abruptly but not before he heard Sehun’s laughter.

It was late at night when he replayed the sound of Sehun’s laughter, the ceases on at the side of his eyes and the way he throw back his head, laughing without no restraint. Luhan felt just the tiniest bit of achievement for being able to make him laugh that way.

 

 

Meeting Baekhyun again was like finding out that cutting off ties with everyone was the stupidest decision that Luhan had made. Baekhyun had flicked him on his forehead before hugging him tightly. 

It was though the separation didn’t exist as they chatted with each other, trying to catch up each other’s life. Showing off his ring proudly, Baekhyun’s eyes softened. “I am married and you’ll never guessed who I got married to.”

“Kris?” Luhan guessed uncertainly. Baekhyun and Kris had been the couple that everyone was envious of when they were in high school. Baekhyun was the beautiful male who kept everyone at arm’s length while Kris had been the basketball team’s captain, popular with everyone because of his good looks. 

After much wooing, Kris finally managed to get Baekhyun to go with him. Last that Luhan remembered, Baekhyun had looked rather happy with Kris. However, Baekhyun shook his head at Luhan’s answer. “Wrong guess, try again.”

“I gave up,” Luhan told him. “Come on, don’t keep me in the dark.”

“Park Chanyeol, I got married to Park Chanyeol.” Baekhyun told him and Luhan could tell that the slender male was really happy, the happiness on his face was contagious as Luhan found himself smiling back.

“Park Chanyeol? That Park Chanyeol?” Luhan asked. “Isn’t he younger than you? If I remembered correctly, he is the class clown and you hated him?”

“Things changed,” Baekhyun replied him. “But I have never been happier – “

“What about Kris – “ Luhan stopped his question midway when he realised that he might have overstep his boundaries. “I am sorry, I didn’t mean – “

“He – We realised that we weren’t the perfect match so we ended things amicably.” Baekhyun answered him, taking no offense at his question. “I honestly never thought that I’ll fall for Chanyeol but I guess his persistence touched me and before I know it, I got so used to him and now I am married to him.”

“I am happy for you,” Luhan told him sincerely. “I – I – “

“Are you going to ask me about Sehun?” Baekhyun taken the question out of Luhan’s mouth. “I don’t know where he is now since he left not long after you did. Last, I heard he went overseas.”

“Oh, I see.” Luhan sounded disappointed. “Right – “

“You can try asking Jongin, he might have a clue.” Baekhyun wrote down a number on the napkin before sliding it across the table to Luhan. “I wasn’t the only one who is upset at you for leaving without saying a word.”

"Thank you - "

"Luhan, there is another reason why I broke up with Kris." Baekhyun told him. "I broke up with him when I realised that I didn't look at him the same way that you looked at Sehun."

"Baekhyun," Luhan bit his lips. 

"He also didn't look at me the same way that Sehun looked at you," Baekhyun continued and with each word, Luhan's heart clenched painfully. Soft little words yet the impact was greater than what Luhan had imagined it to be, throwing Luhan's world into a chaotic mess. 

 

 

Once again, Luhan was tasked with cleaning the classroom again. Rather unfortunately, he was elected to be in charge of the class’s cleanliness. A thankless position which he had no desire to keep but was unfortunately, elected by the teacher who thought it was a good way for Luhan to assimilate better with the class.

However, today appeared to be the day where nothing went right because the few who were supposed to stay back and help with cleaning the class had vanished to god know where. He sighed as he began with cleaning the board first.

He was arranging the chairs and tables when he heard someone coming into the class, looking up from his task, he saw that it was Sehun. His hair was damp, dressed into his basketball’s jersey and shorts. Luhan’s heart skipped a beat because Sehun had looked exceptionally handsome.

“Where is everyone else?” Sehun asked, a frown on his face.

“I – They have something else so I told them to go ahead first.” Luhan averted his eyes.

Sehun didn’t say anything but his eyes never left Luhan’s face. After a while, he sighed before shaking his head. “You are a bad liar, I bet they pushed the cleaning duties to you.”

“No, they didn’t.” Luhan insisted. “I told them to go ahead first.”

“Didn’t I say that you are a bad liar?” Sehun started to take a broom to sweep the floor. “Come on, let’s get on with the cleaning otherwise, you won’t be going home at this rate.”

“I never asked you to help,” Luhan told him pointedly despite feeling just the tiniest bit of happiness at being able to spend time with Sehun. “You can just go – “

“You are really dishonest,” Sehun pointed out as he walked to Luhan, ruffling his hair. “At times like this, you should say thank you.”

“Like I say – “

“Yes, yes. I know, you never asked me to help. I am helping because I have too much free time on my hand.” Sehun rolled his eyes and Luhan had the urge to kick him in his shins. “Let’s get working.”

Nodding with satisfaction, Luhan made sure that everything was in order before going home. It was then when he realised that Sehun lived in the same area as him. Swinging his bag back and forth, Luhan had a small smile on his face.

Both of walked side by side, talking about nothing in particular but Luhan liked it because it felt really comfortable. There were silence at times but it never felt awkward. They were at the crossroad when they bid each other goodbye.

Taking a step then another, Luhan turned around and shouted. “Oh Sehun!”

Halting, Sehun had turned and looked at him with curiosity. “Yes?”

“Thank you!” Luhan grinned. An easy smile made its way to Sehun’s lips and with the sun setting behid Sehun, this image was etched into Luhan’s mind. For just a moment there, he was transfixed.

“You are welcome,” Sehun told him.  "I will be expecting dinner."

"You - "

"Don't worry, I won't ask for something too expensive." Sehun's eyes twinkled with laughter and Luhan narrowed his eyes at him before turning around, running back to his house. 

Leaning against the door, he slide down to the floor as he touched his cheeks which was heating up again. Thank god, he had come really close to running to Sehun and hugging him. Even worse, more than hugging, Luhan wanted to do something more. 

He wanted to kiss Oh Sehun. 

 

 

*an: i am still very much alive but i have been rather busy recently. i am hoping that next week will be better but here is another update for sweet nothings and as mentioned, this come about because of this tweet. this alternate between the past and present and i realised that this format is actually quite fun to write. anyway, all comments, upvotes and subscription are very much appreciated. if you have a prompt, just drop it in my ask.fm. 

 

ask.fm | twitter | tumblr