015

Sweet Nothings II

[slightly scary]

 

 Luhan hastened his pace, hurrying to get out of the alley when he felt the shivers. It had been a month since he moved here to this place. Something felt out of place but he couldn’t pinpoint exactly what gave him the chills.

It felt as though someone was following him, the feeling grew even stronger with each passing day but when he finally found the courage to turn, there wasn’t anyone behind him. Luhan couldn’t care less as he started running, he only stopped when he was at his apartment.

His hands trembled as he unlocked the door and hurried in. He was panting slightly when he slammed the door shut. This had been the place he had been living since he moved here, the apartment consisted of one bedroom, a kitchen and a rather spacious living room with a balcony. It was enough for Luhan who was living alone.

The lights in his house were on and he walked over to his dining table and saw plates of food prepared. He guessed it must had been Mr. Kim who done all of these for him. Mr Kim was the owner of his apartment and he was a really nice man who had a friendly smile for all of his tenants or at least that was his first impression of the man since he didn't spot the man now, Luhan guessed Mr Kim was probably really busy. 

Knowing that Luhan was a university student, Mr Kim had volunteered to cook extra food for Luhan on the first day. He told Luhan that it was any trouble at all since making one portion or two portion didn't make much difference and Luhan could only accept his offer at the end. Setting up the table, Luhan was just about to dig in, he heard the doorbell ringing.

Pushing his chair, he peeked at spyhole but didn’t see anyone there. Biting his lips, he took a deep breath before opening the door and on the floor, there was a paper. Picking up the paper, his heartrate sped up when he saw what was written.

Do not eat the food.

 

 

A week had passed since the note and Luhan had texted Mr. Kim, telling him to stop preparing food for him. There wasn’t any reply but the food stopped appearing as well. Everything disturbed Luhan and this grew even more when he was alone at night.

As he tried to get himself to sleep since he had a rather early lesson tomorrow, he heard the sound of a crying baby. He sat up immediately as a bead of sweat rolled down from his forehead slowly and his breathing started to get shallower for fear of making any noise.

Lying back down, Luhan covered his ears with the pillow to block out the sound of the crying baby as the uneasiness grew. It was a long while before he could get to sleep.

 

 

The next morning, Luhan woke up with bloodshot eyes. He yawned as he locked his door when he saw Minseok going out of his apartment. “Busy night?”

“Yup, homework and all those.” Luhan told him, heading to the lift together. “Besides, the crying of the baby kept me awake the whole night.”

There was a frown on Minseok’s face, “Baby? Are you sure you heard a baby crying?”

Luhan distinctly felt something was off as he tried to play it off. “You have heard me wrongly, I said that I was crying as I was watching this drama on the television hence the eyes.”

“I see,” Minseok nodded. “I must have heard wrongly the first time round. After all, how could you hear a baby crying when there is no baby at all in the building?”

Luhan paused in his steps.

 

 

The building was owned by Mr Kim and all the tenants had been easy to get along with. Luhan had no problem getting along with most of them except for a guy named Sehun who felt much too aloof and much too cold.

For people like Sehun, Luhan tend to stay away from him. That was until that one night when Luhan reached his home late and they went into the same lift. Seeing the canvas, Luhan’s interest grew and before he could stop himself, “You like drawing too?”

Sehun looked at him before nodding, “I am in the art major. Why? You draw too?”

“I am in the art major too,” Luhan told him excitedly and it wasn’t before long when they started a heated conversation. Turned out that Sehun wasn’t as aloof as Luhan thought he was and they exchanged number as they bided each other farewell.

That night, Luhan once again heard the knocking of the door and as per usual, there wasn’t anyone except for the piece of the paper on the floor.

Do not trust anyone here

 

 

As the days passed, Luhan’s mental state grew even worse. He finally couldn’t take it when he decided to head to Mr. Kim’s apartment. He was knocking the door when Baekhyun tapped him on the shoulder.

“Luhan, what are you doing?” Baekhyun asked, his tone confused.

“I am looking for Mr Kim.” Luhan answered as Baekhyun grew even more confuse.

“You didn’t see the news? Mr Kim was murdered the day after you moved in.” Baekhyun told him and Luhan’s heart dropped as he felt his knees turned soft.

“I – I – Sorry!” Luhan ran back to his apartment. This meant that Mr Kim wasn’t the one who was making all those food that he had been eating so who was it?

Luhan was broke out of his musings when he felt his phone vibrated and he opened it to see an unknown number. Tapping the message open, it was a picture of him sleeping. How could it be when he was living alone? Once again, the question circled to who was it? 

The animous feeling grew when he heard the knocking of his door again. Without looking through the spyhole, he opened it but as usual, he didn’t find anyone except for a piece of paper.

The world suddenly grew eerily silent when he saw what was written.

You’re next. 

 

*an: this is my first attempt at horror. so how was it guys? all comments, subscriptions and upvotes are greatly appreciated (:

ask.fm