023

Sweet Nothings II

[roadtrip!au]

 

 

 

It was a promise between the both of them, made years ago on an impulse after they finished watching a movie where the characters went on a road trip. Luhan liked the idea of going on a road trip, to get away from life before they start a new phrase.

Sehun liked the idea of being able to do without any detailed planning just like how his life was planned to the last detail. He liked how they could do things their own way and he was free to laugh and cry if he wanted to. So they promised each other that they will go on a road trip after they graduated from University.

After the graduation party and getting their certificate, both of them packed their bags and set out for a new adventure. They leave behind their worries, their responsibilities as well as their other half. Granted, Seoyeon had been insistence in following Sehun on this road trip but he was adamant on making this trip only for Luhan and him.

Minseok wasn’t happy about Luhan going on this trip with Sehun but Luhan managed to coax him out of his bad mood, promising to report to him whenever he could. Beside as he assured Minseok that nothing was going to happen, Sehun was his best friend after all and for the longest time, Sehun had been taking care of him and this road trip won’t be any different.

With high spirits, both of them got into the car and headed to the airport. They decided to visit Luhan’s hometown first before touring other places in China. To say that Luhan was excited was putting it mildly, it has been a few years since he went back to China.

He missed this place more than he thought as he stepped out of the airport. Pulling his luggage, he waited for Sehun. The hustle and bustle of the place hadn’t changed one bit as people hurried around to their place, he heard the familiar language which he hadn’t spoke for a long time. For the first time, he felt at home unlike in Korea where he felt out of place most of the time.

Placing a snapback on his head, Sehun grinned when saw the anticipation in Luhan’s eyes. “Excited?”

Nodding, Luhan returned a grin. “I am just overwhelmed by everything. It is like the dam broke and all the memories come gushing forward. I miss the sights, the smell and Sehun, this is home.”

“Right,” Sehun answered him softly. “This is home. I am glad.”

 

 

Their first stop was Luhan’s grandmother’s house. The house wasn’t like the apartment in Korea. It was a single unit and rather old if you asked Sehun. Luhan had almost got off the cab before it come to a full stop. Sehun paid the driver before going to the truck and got out their luggage. Pulling it along, he headed to where Luhan was.

Knocking the door, Luhan waited for someone to answer. The door was open within seconds and a kind, elderly face appeared. The woman had taken a look at Luhan before hugging him, there were tears streaming down her face and Sehun swore that Luhan was tearing up as well.

This must be Luhan’s dearly beloved grandmother who given Luhan some of his happiest time. Then again, living in a place like this wasn’t bad either and Sehun was interested in seeing the life that Luhan led before he headed to Korea.

They were led into the house by Luhan’s grandmother who still held on tightly to Luhan’s hands. Sehun followed behind them when he felt his phone vibrating, taking it out, he saw that it was call from Seoyeon. For a minute or two, he debated one if he should pick up her call before deciding against it. This trip had another purpose for Sehun besides getting away from life for a little while, he wanted to re-evaluate his relationship with Seoyeon.

Seoyeon had dropped hints on wanting to take this relationship further with the end goal being marriage but Sehun just wasn’t into it. He liked her but the thought of spending the rest of his life with her didn’t appeal to him and just maybe, Seoyeon wasn’t the one all along.

 

 

Luhan pouted when he saw his grandmother giving a chicken drumstick to Sehun. “Not fair – “

“Come on, don’t be such a baby.” Sehun yet he was putting the drumstick in Luhan’s bowl. “Honestly, when are you going to grow up?”

Luhan didn’t reply to that as he munched on his food happily while his grandmother watched their interaction with a smile on her face. She knew about this Sehun because that was all that Luhan had told her about whenever they were on the phone.

To be honest, she was grateful to Sehun for taking care of her baby grandson in Korea. She sighed inwardly, her baby grandson could be so blind sometimes.

 

 

Sehun and Luhan shared a room as per Luhan’s request because he wanted to show Sehun his room and simply to talk. Ever since they were in University, they didn’t spend as much time as before. It was given since they were in different majors and those endless assignment plus they had their other half as well.

But they still make the effort to meet up or simply to talk on the phone if time permit. They were in each other’s life for so long that it was a part of them and they had no wish to cut each other off. Not in the past, present much less future.

With a towel on his head after exiting from the bathroom, Luhan saw Sehun flipping through his photo albums with his grandmother by the side. This sight strangely warmed his heart especially when he saw his grandmother laughing at something Sehun said. He knew that Sehun had taken up Chinese when the idea of road trip first came up.

From his incoherent sentence, Sehun was now able to speak almost like a local and Luhan was so proud of him. He had wanted Minseok to learn Chinese in the past but Minseok had kept putting off, citing reasons like he was too busy. Deep down, Luhan knew that Minseok just didn’t think that it was important enough compared to everything else he had been doing.

Minseok had asked Luhan to go oversea with him and Luhan was reluctant to give him an answer. This eventually led to a fight where Minseok issued an ultimatum where either Luhan leave with him or they break up.

Luhan had been away from home for too long and he had no desire to leave the life he made for himself in Korea to start all over again. Minseok had been too selfish and Luhan had turned away from him without a word because he realised that he had been the one giving into Minseok all the time. Never once had Minseok considered things from his perspective, it could get tiring at times. Therefore, he told Minseok that he will consider and give him an answer when he returned back to Korea. One of part of him couldn’t bear to let go of their relationship, they had been together for six years after all and breaking up after all those time spent together wasn’t as easy.

Sighing, Luhan entered the room and plastered a smile on his face.

 

 

“Your grandmother is a lovely woman,” Sehun said. “So this is the place you grew up in, huh?”

“Yup, this is home and I never realise how much I miss everything here.” Luhan replied. “My grandmother had aged more than before and – “

“Shush,” Sehun his side as he faced Luhan. “Don’t overthink things, you tend to do that a lot. Your grandmother is still as healthy as ever and she is waiting for you to bring your other half home.”

“Minseok is too busy to come to Beijing,” Luhan said, not realising how bitter he sounded. “He had other more important things and I am not that high on his priority list.”

Frowning, Sehun placed his hand on Luhan’s cheek. “The last I heard, you are extremely happy with him – “

“I don’t know,” Luhan whispered. “I don’t know what went wrong but suddenly, I started to see past the image I created for him and see Minseok for who he is and I don’t know – “

“You are just lost, take this trip to figure out what you want. It isn’t easy to give up a six years relationship,” Sehun said gently.

Swallowing whatever he wanted to say, Luhan moved closer to Sehun. “What about you? What are you planning to do after our trip?”

“I haven’t figure out much yet, my father wanted me to work in a law firm and Seoyeon’s father is more than happy if I enter his law firm. He sees me as his future son – in- law but I didn’t want this treatment, I wanted to climb up based on my own merit.” Sehun told Luhan and he felt Luhan’s hand on his cheek.

Under the cover of the night, both of them spilled out their insecurities and their uncertainties, wondering where life will take them to. With the moonlight shinning in, Luhan’s eyes looked exceptionally bright and unconsciously, Sehun moved even closer until they were a breath apart.

They didn’t know who initiated the kiss first but that wasn’t the foremost thought on their mind as they explored each other mouth, exploring and tasting to their heart content. When they break apart, both of them were a little breathless.

As they looked at each other, something begun to shift and they know that their relationship will never be the same again

 

 

*an: hey guys, am I nice or what? this is an early valentine's day present for all of you out there! so as everyone else can guess, this will most probably be filled with angst and more angst in the future chapters. but then, i have no plans to turn this into a full fic so yeah, not going to torture any of you guys. anyway, all comments, subscriptions and upvotes are greatly appreciated! 

ask.fm | twitter |tumblr