Chapter Nine

Nothing Last Forever

Cool, fresh air approaches Sandaras’ face the next morning as her feet stepped-out to their house door. It’s still seven AM in the morning and she’s very sure that few of the students’ aren’t at the school as of the moment. Today is their first day of the so-called ‘hell week’ but it seems like she’s not aware of it. She didn’t even study the other night, though she and GD already reviewed their lessons the other day, because of too many things she’s been thinking. She can’t concentrate. How’s Bom? She thought.

 

“Lady Park, the car is ready.” Their driver said to her, accompanying to him is their bodyguard and their butler. It only shows how high their standing in the society is. Sandara gave him a brief nod then followed him as he motioned himself towards the car. As soon as he opened the car door for her, she immediately hops on. The cool air of August is making her uneasy. She hate cold environment.

“Today, the weather is windy and there is 92 percent of chance of rain this afternoon.” Her bodyguard Daesung said. “What time would you like to be fetched Lady Park?”

 

She looked at him at the review mirror and rolled her eyes and smiled at him but with accompanying smile afterwards. Daesung is in between of laughing or continue in a stoic-mode when Dara tapped his shoulder. “Don’t act too formal when eomma is not around Daesung.”

“B-but Lady Park—“he practically panicked. Lady Park must not be friends with him. He’s just their employee.

“I’m just your old little playmate at the playhouse Daesung. Nothing changed…”

 

Daesung and Dara we’re playmates when they were still young. Daesung is the son of their head of security and they usually play at the playhouse when they’re still kids, around 8 years old, together with her other cousins when her parents are very busy. She didn’t knew that he’s the son of the head of security back then since she only think that he’s a friend… and not a lowly-creature her mother usually tell her.

 

“Please fetch me before 6 PM. I want to be home before eomma comes.” She added which the driver- Mr. Kim- and Daesung agreed. The car drive soon becomes at ease and she comfortably raised her feet and laid it at the back of the drivers’ headrest making Daesung got panicked.

“Lady Park!” Daesung exclaimed. “Please put your feet down. It’s an—“

“Blaah-blaah! Did eomma give you her annoying ‘Dara please be like this’ and ‘don’t do that Dara! Its unlady-like attitude’ stunts?”

 

Their driver, Mr. Kim, can’t help it but suppress a smile. “Madam Park isn’t around Daesung. You can be the Daesung she knew.”

Dara suppress a smile, “You’re still the best Mr. Kim. So Daesung-yaah, would you like to share to me your experiences in Thailand during training?”

 

Daesung can’t help it but suppress a smile. Dara is still the Sandara Park he knew when they’re still little. She still maintains the character she had even if they grow old separately- making sure that she doesn’t change. “When I was there, I used to play with the elephants since Thailand is one of the places were elephants were treated rightly. Ridding them and letting them eat is the best part of my stay there.”

“Elephants?” Dara exclaimed, still shocked. “Is it even legal to ride with those elephants you’re saying?”

Daesung laughed. “Of course Lady Park elephants ridding elephants are legal. The training school were I was enrolled has a sanctuary-like for elephants and the owner of the school itself has elephants.”

“Wow!” she mumbled, lost in her own words.

 

All she can say is Wow. She envied Daesung for studying abroad; though she already studied abroad when she was still little she can’t help it but be envied at him. The freedom he had when he was there is the thing she envied a lot. Sometimes she wishes that things never changed the way it was to be. That she’s still that Sandara Park everybody knows.

 

 

 

The car ride ended and as soon as the car parked at the school grounds, she’s back with the Dara Park everybody knew: composed, graceful, sophisticated and almost perfect. There is no room for errors and misconduct for the Dara Park that went out of the car. Daesung gave her a polite bow as soon as Dara walked away. He’s afraid that the Dara he knew will be gone soon because of the society she belongs and the game she play- playing two characters at a time.

Dara gave the guard of the Nobi Society a slight bow. She smilled at him, while waiting for the confirmation for her to enter the building where Jiyong and her will meet. She headed towards the building elevator. With a happy heart, she clicked the button. She thinks that the only person she can talk as of the moment is her new found friend- her Noye, Kwon Jiyong. Though they barely knew each other, she still find him the only person she can confide to the things she worries about- a lot- since he knew almost all the things she worry.

When the elevator door were about to close, it was stopped by a hands of an unknown girl. She gasp when she saw it, she felt like the closing of the door hurts her hands. She slightly bows at her since she doesn’t know who he was.

 

“I’m sorry if this caused you a sort of delay.” She casually says. The girl is tall and has eyes. She looks familiar to me, Dara thought.

She gave her a slight smile, “No, it’s okay. I’m not in a hurry though.”

“You’re early than the usual schedule.” she added, looking at her with a… mocking look? She doesn’t really know. “And what does class-A student doing at the Nobi Society building?”

 

She momentarily gasped, then looked at her uniform where the eyes of the stranger stayed. And her eyes widened the moment she saw her school badge. Crap! She immediately removed to. She’s afraid that many students might see it and she won’t be able to show-up herself later. She’s afraid that the Noyes’ might hurt her.

The girl chuckled making her look at her with a amused look. She won’t hurt me? Dara thought. The girl continued to laugh at her making her at ease. She’s not the same as the other Noye.

 

“You know what? You’re really cute Dara-unnie.” She utter in between laughs. Dara stopped smiling and gave her a questioning look.

“Y-you know me?” How? Why? When?

“Of course, I knew Sandara Park from class-A.” the girl said. “I know you’re about to choose me, if haven’t saw that Kwon Jiyongs’ face.”  She continued, “Well, at least I’ve known you by now. My name is Gong Minzy, nice meeting you unnie.

 

Dara cannot fathom the right words she’ll say. She’s the girl with eyes! Sure thing, she’s really nice from the way she looks at her. It’s just that she find it amusing- and intriguing- how Kwon Jiyong plaster a stoic expression. An unexplainable eye expression.

 

“Hey, easy unnie. I won’t bite.” She chuckled. “I know you’re not like the other class-B students.”

 

She lowered her head. She felt like the whole Nobi Society owes an apology from the class-B. They must not be treated that way since they’re human too. The only thing that hinders them to be treated fairly is the inequality on how the school treats their students. Even the class-B can feel it, that they’re just the second option of the school since the school focuses more on the class-A.

 

“Hey—“

“Me, Sandara Park, gave my whole-hearted apology in behalf of the class-A and class-B students to the Nobi Society.”

“H-hey unnie…” Minzy utter, giving her a weird look. “I’m not giving blame or what—“

 

The elevator door opens, signaling that they’re now on the classroom floor. “Dara..”

She lifted her head and saw weird stare from Kwon Jiyong, whose now standing outside the elevator.

“Hi.” She utter, lost in words.

“Hi.” He mumbled, suppressing his Hey-I’m-GD smile. Oh boy, why you gotta be so cute?

 

 

 

“I’m sorry if we won’t be able to review again as of the moment. The school president asked me to see him first thing this morning.” Dara apologize at her Noye.

“Me either. The president want to see me too.” He said. She saw how his eyes darkened as he mentioned President Yangs’.

“Hmm, what is it that he wanted from us?” Dara thought, “Ah, maybe he wants to know the development of your performance being my first Noye.”

“I’m your first and maybe the last Noye miss Park.” GD mumbled. “Well, maybe if you want to stay for another year in this school, you can have another Noye for you.”

“Silly.”

 

They walk side-by-side. The distance between them is a friendly distance. Dara walked silently with him, slightly unaware of his glances for her. GD, on the other hand, is amazed on how Dara manage to smile even if things in her environment aren’t well. He knew a lot of things about the Sandara Park and he’s amaze how she manages those information she knew. For him, even if they just barely knew each other she can’t help it but feel lucky knowing that she trusts him.

 

“You’re amazing.” He can’t help it but utter his amusement towards her.

“W-why?”

He silently smiles. “It’s just… you’re really amazing.”

“Well, thank you Jiyong.”

 

The distance between them is still the same- the same friendly distance. The walk is getting GD bore. He wanted to talk to Dara, he wanted to hear her voice—and he doesn’t want to acknowledge the meaning of his actions. For him, feeling that feeling towards her is quite unusual and fast. You can’t feel that feeling towards the subject GD… he thought.

 

“How many kilometers?”

“H-huh?” Dara gave him a questioning look. What does that mean?

“How many kilometers is the minimum distance before you can call it a long distance relationship?”

Dara flushed when she realizes Jiyongs words. Jiyong went closer to him, half the distance. “Like this?” he playfully asked. Dara can’t help it but giggle. Playful Jiyong! First time! She thought. “Or maybe, this one?”

 

He occupies the personal space she always maintains. She was momentarily taken aback and momentarily, she stopped walking. They’re now at the hallway in between hallway-6 and hallway-7 near the school presidents’ office. The personal space she’s holding is the only space where she can say that she’s safe. Jiyong is too close- close in a sense that she felt like they’re breathing the same air. And she felt like the personal space she keep on holding were invaded and being crushed down.

 

Dara blinked when Jiyong lean closer to her while holding her arms tightly- as if not letting her go. Jiyong smirked making her knees tremble. Maybe if Jiyong’s not holding her, she might fall out of her knees. She gasped, The Playful Kwon Jiyong! There were few moments where she can say that Jiyong is being playful: when he lean closer, when he smirk and when he’s serious. She doesn’t know why she find him playful when he’s serious. Maybe because I think that he’s thinking a playful scene. She thought.

 

“Easy Dara, you’re so tensed.” He mumbled. He squeezes her cheeks and blows some air on her hair. “Relax; it’s just a bad day not a bad life.”

She shook her head while smiling. “You know what, you’re giving me a weird feeling Kwon Jiyong.”

“So as what you are doing to me, Sandara Park.

 

 

Once they entered the school presidents’office, Kwon Jiyongs’mood immediately evaporated in the air. From the ‘Playful Jiyong’, he becomes the stoic-faced Jiyong.  And she was quite surprised upon seeing how his mood suddenly changes. You’re really a mystery Jiyong…

She recognizes many top-performing students in each class. She saw Chaerin together with Donghae and the rest of the top-performing students. She momentarily forgot about Jiyong as she approached them, which Jiyong understand so well. He doesn’t have the right to stop her from being with her friends. After all, they just barely know each other for a month or less and they haven’t shared any memorable moment. But everyday, the moment you’re with her is memorable… his mind contradicted. He just rolled his eyes at himself.

 

“How are you?” Dongahe asked, while giving her a warm smile. “I haven’t seen you yesterday. For what? Whole day!”

Chaering tsk-ed while stopping herself from laughing. “Stop being so clingy Donghae.”

“I’m a good looking man, I am obliged to be a clingy person.” He joked, though everybody who can hear him will agree that he’s a good-looking man.

“Whatever.” Chaerin rolled her eyes and set herself on the chair specifically given to her.

“So, did you review well yesterday?”

“Yep. But I didn’t review our lessons last evening.”

“You better remember all the things that you reviewed yesterday together with your Noye.” He utter.

 

Dara was a bit surprised. How did he know that I’m with Jiyong yesterday? “Would you like to tell me how did you know that I’m with my friend yesterday?”

“He’s a Noye Dara.”

“And he is my friend too.” She insisted. “Now?”

“I called you yesterday and he answered the phone call. He didn’t inform you that I called eh?” Donghae asked, with burrowed eyebrows. How could a Noye do that thing? He told him to tell her that I called.

 

Dara knew that Donghae thinks that Jiyong didn’t tell her so she slightly tap his arms, “I’m just testing if you’ll tell me that you really called.”

“Silly.”

 

 

The presidents’ room becomes silent as soon as the president enters the room. He still wear the authoritative aura that he always wear. “Please have a seat.”

 

Dara slightly gave GD a I’ve-known-what-you-did-there look but GD just shrug and hide the playful smile. Stupid Jiyong! He thought for not saying that her friend called. As if you’ll say that he called… his mind contradicted.

 

“I called you to announce to you that for this school year, I am allowing the Nobi Society to be included in terms of performance ranking. Therefore, the grade competition is not only in between Class-A and Class-B but also, the top-performing students from Nobi Society will be included.” President Yang stated with a playful smile.

 

Dara smiled, remembering their closed-door conversation with President Yang a week after the school year started.

“I suggest this not as your niece but as one of your students here. I want that the Nobi Society to be included with the current list of top-performing students in the school and not just on their society.”

 

“Any follow-up questions?” President Yang asked when the students were in still, on the state of shock. “If none, have a good day everyone.”

 

 

“What can I get from this proposition of your Sandara Park?”

Sandara smirked, “You’ll get a new set of possible assets for your future..”

 

 

 

AUTHOR’S NOTE:

BELATED Happy birthday leader-nim Kwon Jiyong! <3

BELATED Happy anniversary for us, VIPs all over the world! 8 years and still counting. <3 Aww, I’m now a 5-year VIP. Thanks for the song “Stay” way back August 19, 2009 <3 <3

 

PS: Comments anyone? :>