Chapter Eleven

Nothing Last Forever

The dinner is already set at Parks’ residence. Sandara sat in between her cousin Seungri and her classmate Lee Donghae: adjacent to her is the father of Lee Donghae and her cousin Bom. Together with her parents, Donghaes’ parents and the rest of the Park clan, they eat the festive supper their cook prepared for them. After all Mrs. Park hired the best cook in Korea. Since the diner serves as a business transaction too, Mrs. Park and Mr. Lee talk merely about stock market in Korea. The two were former business associates in one of Mrs. Parks’ ads for her new branch of hotel at Jeju Island.

While the older members of Park clan were talking about business, Sandara silently eat her dinner. The talkings about business bore her, in many ways; she doesn’t like to be involved in their family business since she’s not inclined into that and the fact that this whole thing will lead them to a shocking revelation. She knew her mom will reveal to the clan that she’ll be marrying Lee Donghae in no time. Oh God! Imagining the exaggerated reaction from her cousin Seungri and Chanyeol bugs her.  Meanwhile, Donghae is giving glances towards Sandara making the mother of the latter smile, mischievously.

 

“So, what is you class ranking Donghae?” Sandaras’ mom asked. With the tone she’s using, it is evident that she’s curious about Donghaes’ standing. Or maybe, she just wanted to know if this guy is more intelligent than her daughter. For her, it is better to pair-up her daughter to the person who excels more than her daughter or at least the standing is just near her.

“I’m the next top-performing student Madam.” Donghae answered, with respect and honor. He slightly bowed to Mrs. Park and gave her a brief smile. He was quite embarrassed since the looks of Daras’ mom is very intimidating.

“Jinja? Well, the two of you compliment each other. My daughter being the top-performing and you being the second.” She commented. Sandaras’ grip towards her spoon and fork tightened. She’s fishing something again! She thought. “What do you think yeobeo?

Mr. Park is just silent but he wanted to protest. His wife gave him a cold stare, as if saying that he shouldn’t leave any comment that would ruin everything.  For him, he can still convince his wife. But not here. Not now.

“Well, your daughter is really perfect Mrs. Park.” Mr. Lee said, making Sandara blush. I’m not perfect Mr. Lee. Not even a bit. She thought.

“Of course, she is.” Donghae agreed. He gave Dara a smile that would melt every girl’s heart, and she’s not immune to it. She felt that bathum-bathum feeling in her heart. “She’s very pretty, very intelligent and at the same time, she’s very kind.”

“I agree. The daughter of my brother is really nice.” Father of Park Bom said, feeling proud about the daughter of his brother and at the same time, for his brother itself. He didn’t noticed that his daughter whose sitting next to her is not amused to his fathers’ statement.

K-kamsahmnida Uncle.” Dara mumbled, feeling shy since she’s now in the limelight.

She felt the sudden force from her side and saw that Seungris’ elbow is on her arms, trying to get her attention. She looked at him and gave him a What?-look. He motioned his eyes towards their cousin, Bom, whose now smirking. She gave Seungri a weird glance. “Is she okay?” she whispered to his cousin, not wanting everyone to hear their conversation.

“I don’t think so.” Seungri answered.

“Are you two doing well?” Mr. Lee asked, giving Dara a mirth smile. He like Sandara Park for his son: having a good attitude, pretty face, educational background and at the same time, having a great economic standing in Koreas’ society. He knew that the Park clan is one of the leading clan in South Korea in terms of business. Their family is a big fish…

“We’re classmates’ appa since first year. We’re seatmates and at the same time, we like each other.” Donghae answered his father.

“Well that’s good. Very good to start things out.”

 

Sandara Park’s pale face turned to crimson red as she heard Donghaes’ revelation about their feelings towards each other in front of their family members. She saw how her moms’ eyes spark and how Seungris’ jaw drop. Donghae gave her a brief squeeze of her right hand under the table, making her tenser and blush for more. Seeing how his father didn’t react made her more afraid. Is he mad? She thought.

But what is the weirdest part is how her cousins’ Bom and Chanyeol reacted to Donghaes’ statement. Chanyeol loudly dropped his spoon and fork. It can’t be! It can’t be! Park Chanyeol keeps on chanting towards himself, while shaking his head as a sign of disapproval. Bom, on the other hand, walked-out without excusing herself to the elders. Her father slightly apologizes with a brief bow towards his daughters’ action.

 

“I-I guess her tummy is upset.” Boms’ father said even if he doesn’t know why his daughter reacted that way.

“D-donghae.” Sandara nervously said, while giving Donghae a quick glance. She wanted to take things slow, yet Donghae blown the news that easily without prior notice.

“Well, it’s a good thing then.” Mr. Lee said while grinnig. “Since the two of you compliment each other then, it is easier for us to announce that the two of you were engage as of the moment and you Donghae, will marry Sandara as soon as you graduate from high school to formally merge our company to their company.”

“Fudge.” Seungri mumbled still shock is evident in his eyes.

“.” Park Chanyeol reacted.

 

 

 

 

“What was that Sandara Park? The last time I’ve checked, I’m just convincing Donghae that he likes you and now you two were engaged? Tell me what the hell is happening here Sandara Park?” Seungri ranted. He wanted to know what the hell is happening to his favorite cousins’ life.

They are now at her room. Sandara take a deep breath and sigh.  Even she, herself, doesn’t know how it did happen. But she’ll lie if she’ll tell Seungri that she doesn’t have any idea what the hell is happening. The moment she saw Donghae at their house together with his parents, she knew that her parents, well her mom, will announce it. She saw it coming but a part of her is keep on saying that her mom won’t do it.

“I’m… eomma is planning it already. I-I don’t have any rights to say that I don’t like it nor contradict her words.” She utter, while lowering her head. “I’m afraid she’ll get mad at me again oppa. You know her so well. You’ve seen her get mad at me and I don’t want to see that kind of anger anymore. I-I want her to accept me whole-heartedly.”

“You knew it already?” Seungri ranted. He stands up and walked from left to right, trying to grasp the idea that Dara just revealed. He’s like a control-freak older brother towards her. Well, Seungri is being control-freak again… she thought. “Just… what the hell! Why you didn’t tell me?”

“It’s a close conversation of our—“

“I am your family!” he reacted. He went closer to her cousin and looks her in the eye. He wanted to shake her up but he refused to do it, to wake her up. “C’mon, you are my only family here Dara. I am your oppa, right? And being an oppa you should tell me all the things that bugs and frightens you, that way I can protect you. I-I can protect you from them.

Dara don’t want to cry but having a conversation like this makes her cry. Seungri is the only cousin who knew her well. The only cousin that didn’t accuse or and accepted her. Seungri understand how she feels towards the family. Seungri knew almost everything.

“Please, don’t cry. Hush now baby.” Seungri mumbled. He enveloped Dara in his arms as if protecting her from others. The only thing he can do to protect her from them is by hugging her. The more he hugs her, the safer Sandara would be. Even if Dara is way older than Seungri, he felt like he’s more mature and much older than her. “Remember what I promised to you when you first came here?”

 

“I promise to protect you with my life since you’re the only person left who loves me. The only person who didn’t ran away from me. Remember this noona, Lee Seunghyun will protect Sandara Park.”

 

Those were the exact words he said to her when he arrived at the Park residence when they’re still 7. He wiped the dried tears on her cheeks and smiled at her. From being pale, Daras’ face become red and swells because of her crying. The fact that she came from crying didn’t made her less beautiful and attractive. He smiled at her, sweetly. “No one will break my promise to you noona. Your Seungri-oppa will protect you no matter what.”

 

 

Monday came and the test results were already given. Many students coming were afraid that their class standings will slope down. The class standings were already posted at the school bulletin board. And almost all of them came to see how their grades went through.

Sandara came along with her cousin Seungri. After that serious conversation with her, he promised to himself that no one can separate him to Sandara. He went to her home early in the morning and went to school with her. For him, since things are getting visible to their eyes, lot of possible things might happen. And he’s afraid for Sandara.

They continued walking and saw that the class standings were already posted. They saw Chaerin standing in front of the bulletin board and she’s quite upset or maybe her mind is floating. A lot of students around her were congratulating her yet she, herself, isn’t happy. Both Seungri and Dara silently walked towards the school bulletin to see their own class standing. And both of them were shocked to what they saw.

 

Sequel University. Academic Year: 2014-2015

Fourth Year Over-all Class Standings

 

Rank Number    Name                                    Class                      Over-all Average

TOP 1:                   Kwon Jiyong                       Nobi Society       98.56%

TOP 2:                   Lee Chaerin                        Class-A                 96.22%

TOP 3:                   Lee Donghae                     Class-A                 96.12%

TOP 4:                   Park Sandara                      Class-A                 95.02%

TOP 5:                   Choi Seunghyun               Nobi Society       95.01%

 

Sandara is shocked to what she saw on the bulletin board. Tears we’re forming on her eyes since this is the very first time she got-out from the TOP 1 spot. Her heart muscle felt like being crumpled and her knees went soft. She looked at Seungri whose like her is shocked to what they saw.

 

“W-what…” Seungri mumbled. He wanted to comfort Sandara. He hold her hand and squeeze it gently. “Hey…”

“Sandara Park!” someone yelled. Dara looked around and saw Chaerin glaring at her. “You!” she shouted, while walking towards her.

Sandara stepped back, she’s afraid of Lee Chaerin as of the moment. Her eyes are blazing with anger and she doesn’t know why she’s acting like that. The students were shocked to Chaerins’ sudden outburst. All of them knew that Chaerin picture-out Dara as her opponent academically.

When Chaerin approached Dara, she saw how Seungri armored Dara. He put Dara on his back and faced her. “Watch you mouth Lee Chaerin.” He said, glaring at the latter who’s fiercely glaring at Dara.

Chaerin tsked and look Dara in the eye, who’s frightened towards her action. She never saw and didn’t even imagine Chaerin in this kind of situation. “Just what the hell is wrong with you Sandara Park?!”

“I said watch you mouth Lee Chaerin!” Seungri shouted at Chaerin. “You don’t have any rights to shout at my cousin.”

Chaerin didn’t bother herself to answer Seungris’ outburst even if she’s quite takin aback since Seungri never reprimand someone in front of anyone. She was clouded. She tried her best to grab Sandara Park and talk to her in private but Seungri is hard-headed and won’t let her touch even a single fabric of his cousin. “Are you insulting me? Are you insulting my capacity?” she burst, tears were approaching her eyes but she harshly wipe it away. She can’t believe that Sandara Park just slope down to that level.

“Wh-what are you talking—“

“Why did you slope down to Rank 4?! You… you know how much I wanted to be on top but this… this test results isn’t pleasing my eyes. You can’t just slope down to Rank 4 just by that!”

“Chaerin…” Dara mumbled. She stretch-out her hand to hold Chaerin but Seungri tap her hands.

“You know it’s been 4 years since Grade 8 Dara. 4 years. I’ve been eyeing that top-performing title and even happier that you won’t easily give me that title. It’s a challenge for me and now this… this result! You’re insulting me Sandara Park!”

“Enough for your little scene Lee Chaerin.” Seungri screamed, making students have their own-dose of goose-bumps. “I, Lee Seunghyun, as the Student Council President, charging you persona non grata to Sandara Park for breaking the following Law: Law Number 12 which is publicly humiliating someone and Law Number 32 which is shouting that disturbs other student.” He commanded, with full of seriousness, conviction and coldness. The way he looks at Chaerin mirrors anguish that is unfamiliar to everyone.

 

Everybody was shock, including both Chaering and Dara, to what Seungri’s words. Seungri is a type of person who never reprimands someone in front of other people. He, as a student Council President, reprimand student with their misconduct in a close-door conversation to avoid further damage to the students’ dignity. And the fact that he charges Chaerin a persona non grata is very shocking. The only record of persona non grata charge in the entire Sequel University history.

 

“Seungri!” Dara shouted. “You cannot do that!”

“I just did.” Seungri said, in a serious tone. He dragged Dara and left Chaerin and the rest of the crowd dumbfounded and shock to his decision.