Chapter Three

Nothing Last Forever

Thank you for subscribing Mayra_25

 

Momentarily, she was taken aback to her Noyes’ expression. He was silently walking with her, heading towards the school Cafeteria. Dara wanted to talk to him, ask some random stuffs but she cannot fathom the right sentence to start a conversation with him. This guy, her Noye named Kwon Jiyong is somehow very intimidating.

Dara tried to get his attention with a small ‘ah-em’ and luckily, she gets his attention. Phew!

 

“Ahm, I’m Sandara Park.” She started.

“I know.” He said, nonchalantly. “Sandara Park, Class1-A, fourth year and the top-performing student of Sequel University since first year.”

“How did you know so much information about me?”

He twitched a small smile that made girls passing by paused and take a second-look of him. “You’re quite famous.”

Her face turned to crimson red that made her stutter. She’s already used to compliments like that but she can’t help it but smile and blush. “I-I’m no-not that famous.”

 

As they headed to the Cafeteria, a lot of students turned their gaze to them as they enter. Who wouldn’t? She’s Sandara Park, gracefully walking with a smile on her face. Everybody knew that she’s the top-performing student of the school and she’s with a new student from Nobi Society.

 

“Who’s with her?” a girl asked. “Is he her boyfriend?”

“I bet he’s not. Look at his school badge, he’s from Nobi Society.”

“Did she fail last school year?”

“I don’t know. Chaerin must be lucky, she’ll be the top one now.”

“No matter what, Sandara-unnie is still daebak.”

 

The two of them just didn’t mind the conversation they heard and silently went to the place for the class 1A- a special section of the school cafeteria were Sandara Park belong. Since she has a humble heart, she usually eats with other students at the General Section of the cafeteria. Sometimes, talk to them but most of the time she’ll just eat there silently. She ordered two foods for them and went back to the General Section. The students from class-1A were already used to her attitude. But some aren’t pleased to what Sandara’s doing.

 

“Now tell me Kwon Jiyong—“

“I’d prefer to be called GD.”

W-wae?” she asked, puzzled.

“Other’s calling me that ever since.”

 

Dara silently nod, and then smiled. “Call me Dara then.” As much as possible, the Noye she chooses must not act as a Noye. She still prefers to have a friend-like Noye.

“I can’t.” he said, with a weary expression. “Nobi Society Rule Number Two: A Noye must call his or her master as ‘master’.”

She frown making GD stop for awhile. The way her master frown is…cute. “Then, my first order is for you to call me Dara; not Sandara Park because it’s too formal or master. Dara alone is fine.”

 

GD, slightly bewildered, formed a sardonic smile. He didn’t think that this young lady, Dara, would choose him. He tried his best not to be chosen in order to execute his mission. He didn’t smile nor plaster a very interesting expression to make her choose him.

 

“Then, it’s Dara alone.” He mumbled, with a bored expression. As much as possible, he must not plaster any emotions that can be used against him.

“Well, GD I want to ask few questions about you.”

“What is it?”

“How old are you?”

“I’m a year younger than you.”

“Ah, I see.” Dara slightly nod her head, trying to digest it. She’s staring at him and smiled. “You’re too young to experience this kind of situation.”

“H-huh?”

“You know if you’ll choose to be one of the scholars of Sequel, you’ll be a Noye of the upper-class student right?”

“Y-yes.”

“Then, why are you here?” GD was a bit stunned to her direct questions. He was in between saying a lie or telling her the truth when she continued. “It’s either you’ll be bullied by your master or you’ll graduate here. Why GD?”

 

He was taken aback. He expects her to ask ‘Who’s you master last year’ or ‘what school are you from’ questions from her. He cannot read her thoughts, though her expressions are readable.

 

“Credentials.” He simply answered. “If I’ll graduate here, I can have an easy access to some College Universities outside Korea.”

 

Dara knew there’s something beyond those unexplainable expressions of his eyes awhile ago. She just knew. She didn’t utter a single word and continued eating. The reason why she chooses Kwon Jiyong- or GD for his sake- is because she’s curious: curious about his expression in his eyes. Did I choose him wrongly? She can’t help it but asked herself.

 

“I see.” She knew he’s lying. But she won’t ask him for more. She wants him to trust her. “Can I ask for more?”

“Yes.”

“What is your standing now?”

“Top-performing Noye from Nobi Society.”

“And you want to study abroad for college?”

“Yes.”

 

She smiled. I hope I didn’t choose a wrong Noye. He’s intelligent and a dreamer.

 

 

 

Dara went back to her classroom as soon as she heard the school bell rang.

“I have to go.” She said to GD, who’s now standing with her. She gets her bag and the tray of her food and throws it to the garbage bin. GD is quite surprised seeing her cleaning the mess she made. She’s the only upper-class student who did that. Even the normal student let the janitress clean their mess.

 

“I’ll walk you to your classroom.” GD offered, still with a blunt expression.

“No need GD. I can manage.” She run towards the hallway but GD followed her. “Hey, I said go to your classroom now.” She ordered.

“I’m walking you—“

“You’ll be late GD. Maybe next time.” She mumbled then run fast.

 

GD can’t help it but watch the figure of Dara walking towards the bridge that connects the different building of different class. The Sequel University is composed of three main building: Building A for the upper-class students and where Dara belongs, Building B for the second-class and Building C for the Noyes’. Sad, but the school patronizes inequality. Social inequality.

 

When Dara settled herself to the chair, she smiled at the thought. She’s curious about her Noye named Kwon Jiyong and the reason why he’s studying here. Sure thing, it’s not just about credentials he’ll get after graduation. He can still have them, even if he’ll graduate in an ordinary high school, since he’s intelligent.

 

“Looks like you’re still happy even if I’m absent.”

“Dongahe!”

 

Dara smiled and immediately hug Donghae, her seatmate. Donghae hugged her back, with same intensity. He can’t help it but kissed her hair. He missed her seatmate. So much.

“You still smell like strawberries.” He commented. “And I want to bite your hair because of that.”

“Yah, you should respect me because I’m older than you so don’t you ever think of that.” Dara mumbled, still hugging Donghae. “I’m three days older than you, dongsaeng.”

Donghae enveloped Dara on his arms more, making her chuckle. “Silly.” He released her then kissed her forehead. “You’re three days older than me but it doesn’t mean that you’re more mature than me, noona.

 

Their classmates were already used to Dara-Hae moments inside their classroom. In fact, other thinks that they have a secret-relationship that they only knew. Since last year, they started to get-to-know each other.

 

“Geez. Still cheesy as ever Donghae?” Seungri commented, trying to unbind the two. He went closer to Donghae and slightly tapped his shoulder. “I’m watching you bro. You’re heading towards the line. Don’t kiss her forehead.”

Dongahe chuckled. “Still witty Lee Seunghyun.”

“Nah, you should know Dara well. She’s more skillful and witty than I am.”

“Boys are boys, geez.” Dara mumbled then head towards her classmate who’s talking about the subjects they’ll take.

 

Hyung, please don’t hurt my noona.” Seungri said, in a serious tone. He watched Dara who’s laughing with their other classmates. Even if he sometimes bullies his cousin, she’s still dear to her. Dara is his favorite cousin.

Donghae looked at him, with a surprised expression. “H-huh?”

“I know you like my noona and I know you and her are getting to know each other.

 

Donghae suppress a smile. As much as possible, he doesn’t want to say information about what’s going on between Dara and him. “You think I like her?” he asked, looking how Dara talk to her classmates like a normal girl. She’s more than perfect…

 

“I’m a guy too. I can see it, the way you look at her and care for her.” He smiled, and then faced Seungri who’s now smiling at him. “Please take care of her, even if she’s not that perfect..”

“For me, she’s perfect. More than perfect”

Donghae smiled. He wants to take things slow between him and Dara. Great things come to those who wait…

“She’s not and I hope you’ll still accept her.”

 

 

The first day of her class is through. She didn’t meet GD before her driver arrived to fetch her. I forgot to ask for his number… She thought. Their house is located in Gangnam proper. Their house is a tiled-roof traditional house because it’s an ancestral house compound were all of the family clan members were living in their compound including her cousin Park Bom. Now that it was mentioned, Dara can’t help it but be sad to her cousins’ misfortune awhile ago. She doesn’t deserve to be treated like that.

Once she enters their compound, the driver went to the house area of their family located North-East of the compound. The house is big; well all of the houses of Park Clan are big because they can afford it. The Park clan is very influential. They own almost all of the shopping malls and resort in Seoul and the family of Sandara Park owns chain of Hotel and Resort in Asia.

It was already dark and her parents were already here. Mr. and Mrs. Park is now seating at the kitchen table. She can’t help it but get scared for awhile.

 

“You’re 17 minutes late Dara.” The strict, Mrs. Park asked.

“I’m sorry eomma. I forgot about the family dinner.”

“I’m giving you 5 minutes to change.” She said, as a dismissal.

 

Dara immediately went to her bedroom and changed. She does not want to disappoint her mom. She chooses to wear a simple pink floral dress that matches her white skin. She wears a simple jelly flip-flops and then went to the kitchen table. Her mom gave her a disappointed look.

 

“You’re just wearing a flip-flops Dara.” Her mom mumbled. “You being disrespectful to me again.”

“Honey…” her dad said. “Sit down now Dara and let’s eat.”

“I’m sorry eomma.” Dara mumbled, tried not to sob. As much as possible, she wants to please her mom. But everything she does is a failure. “T-thank you appa.

 

She sat at the center of the long table. Her mom is near her while her dad is sitting in front of her mom. The long table occupies 8 people. Plenty of Korean dishes were being served. But for her, the food is not palatable. She was being reprimanded again- and again by her mom.

 

“I heard you got your own Noye from your uncle Yang.” Mrs. Park said, still not giving a glance to her only daughter. “How was it?”

“It’s okay eomma.” She answered, nervously. She can’t even glance at her.

“I hope he can help you excel more in Sequel University.” Her mom said. “I want you to deliver a Valedictorian speech at the end of the school year Dara, don’t disappoint me.”

 

She’s already used to this kind of conversation but Dara can’t help it but become sad. Her mom wants her to be perfect. To excel in school is the first step to perfection in her moms’ point of view.

 

Ne, eomma.” She answered nervously. “I’ll try my best to maintain my class standing.”

“You should not just try. You should do it.”

 

“How’s your friends Dara?” her Dad asked. “Bom got a new boyfriend uh?”

She drifted her gaze to her Dad who’s smiling at him. She can’t help it but smiled too. His dads’ smile is too infectious. “Yes Dad. He met him at Jeju Island three weeks ago.”

“That cousin of yours is so stubborn. She’s a very flirt girl creating her own subversion and distraction to her studies.”

“Honey!” her dad exclaim. “My brother’s daughter is not like that.”

 

Mrs. Park smirked. “Don’t raise your voice on me. Don’t forget I saved your business before, honey.” Mrs. Park emphasized.

“I—I…“

“Oh forget about it.” Mrs. Park interrupts. “How’s Lee Donghae?”

 

Dara was taken aback. How her mom did know about Lee Donghae? Sure, her mom knows everything. Almost everything. And maybe, informations’ about her classmates is just random to her.

 

“He’s fine.” Dara murmur. “He’s a good friend of mine.”

“How do you find him?”

“He’s nice.” She answered. She’s quite nervous because the conversation is starting to mean something. Oh father God…

“Well, you should learn to like him because our company and their company will merge soon.”

“M-mom?” she asked, bewildered and at the same time, terrified. What’s the meaning of this?

“Honey!”

“You will marry Lee Donghae soon Dara. End of discussion.”

 

A/N:

Done with the characters’ introductory part.

PS. A penny for your thoughts. :]