Chapter One

Nothing Last Forever

Dedicated to the first person who subscribed to this story: Miiis-Sweet78

 

Lots of students were gathered inside the big Auditorium of Sequel University- one of the biggets University in Seoul. Since it’s their first day of class, which is not really a form of class due to an over-all orientation about Rules and Regulations of the school, many students were giggling and very excited to see their friends. A 2 month summer vacation just ended and indeed, a lot of stories to tell are on the list.

A huge grin was formed on Sandara Parks’ beautiful face when she saw her cousin and friend Bom, approaching her. Summer vacation just ended and it only means that school stuffs are heading towards them. Being a senior student of Sequel University, it is a big pressure for them- especially on Sandaras’ part since she’s a top-performing student of their batch.

 

“How are you Bom? I missed you.” Sandara exclaimed and momentarily forgot about the Rules and Regulation of the School. It’s just that, she really misses her friends. 2 months is not that short.

 

Sequel University Rule Number Thirty-Two:

No shouting, bawling or form any misconduct that disturbs other students.

 

She cleared the imaginary lump on and smiled at her. Bom isn’t shock at Daras’ sudden change of attitude at all. She knew her for quite some time and her attitude is just normal to her. She would definitely shock if she’ll not compose herself that fast.

 

 “It was cool!” Bom beamed. An evident of a happy vacation for her. “We went to Jeju Island with Mom and Dad three days ago, and guess what?”

“What?” Sandara excitedly asked. Her parent’s won’t allow her to go to Jeju Island, not when they’re not with her. Protective parents! She thought. Well, she understand them since she’s their only precious daughter.

“I got a boyfriend there!” Bom said dreamingly, clasping her hands. “He’s very handsome and very gentleman. I can’t believe—“

“You what?!” Sandara exaggeratedly reacted to her friends’ news. Though it isn’t very shocking news at all since Bom is a very attractive girl with a lively attitude, still, she can’t help it but get shocked. She’s definitely an attractive girl.

Bom rolled her eyes as a response. “You know me unnie. What I want is what I get. I liked that guy so, I flirt.”

 

Dara, amusingly, laughed to what her friend Bom said. It’s true: What Park Bom wants, Park Bom gets. She’s a very rich only daughter of her Uncle in her Father’s Side of clan. Plus the fact that she’s very beautiful, you won’t even think twice about that news after all. When they were in Elementary, she was crowned as the Ms. Sequel of Elementary Department and being competed to the Ms. Sequel High school and Ms. Sequel College- of different courses. But she didn’t make it. Though being crowned as Ms. Sequel Elementary is a big achievement for her.

 

“I guess you and Choi Seunghyun are already quits.” It’s not a form of a question but a confirmation to Dara’s thought. “Who did the farewell?”

“Of course, I did it.” Bom said, with a smirk on her face. But little did Sandara know, Seunghyun is the real one who broke-up with her and not vice versa. She was a bit ashamed to admit it, even to her one of her closest friend and cousin.

 

“Well, Seunghyun is too cold for you Bommie.” Sandara added.

 

Choi Seunghyun is one of their classmates since second year. He’s a cold-hearted guy and everybody thought that it’s cool. Actually, it’s not cool. He acts like a gangster and it annoys Sandara. But she can’t complain knowing that Bom is his girlfriend. On the other hand, though Seunghyun is a cold-hearted guy, he’s definitely caring and a loyal boyfriend. It’s just that, some things aren’t on the right timing.

Bom, on the other hand, is quite offended hearing Daras’words. Though she knew that Dara is just being honest and she’s just saying her opinion, it still hurt her. Seunghyun is her third boyfriend, the serious boyfriends. Once she gets into a relationship, she definitely invests a lot: time and emotions.

 

 

 

 

They went to their respected places and sit there, together with their new set of classmates. Definitely, other students were added on their section and some of their old classmates were kicked-out on their section. In Sequel University, students are being labeled based on their performance: both academics, non-academic and even with their family economic status. In Seoul, it is the only University that has this kind of rules.

The orientation were about to start and everyone must be on their places before the President arrives.  The students were arranged based on their status: the section that belongs to the First class was on the front row of the auditorium, from first year to fourth year; followed by the second class and lastly, the Nobi Society members. Everybody knew that the school President, Mr. Yang Hyun Suk, hates to see late comers and student who talk while he’s talking- and definitely, it’s a form of misconduct. Later, the Auditorium become silent since the President is already walking towards the podium where he’ll give his speech.

 

“Greetings.”

President Yan Hyun Suk said, with a serious note. Everybody went silent, more silent that the usual, when he said his first words. Students sit-erect and faced the President of the school with pride, most especially to the front-liners of the auditorium: the Class 1-A 4th year.

 

“Today, is the new beginning for all of us.” He started, still, wearing his serious monotonous facial expression. “Another school year has just begun and we believe that to be able to perform well with dignity, pride and excellence, we must abide and always abide my rules, simple as that to avoid havoc and conflict.”

 

Everybody, including Dara and Bom, were listening intently to what the President will say. The school is very strict when it comes to his rules: a rule is a rule. No excuses nor special treatment.

 

Sequel University Rule Number One:

Always listen to the CEO while he’s giving instructions, speech etc.

 

“As what the school’s slogan says: Factis non verbis which literally means ‘By deeds not words’. The school, Sequel University, always seek for the success. Without the hard work of these teachers in front of you and the staff, the school will not achieve the status quo of being one of the top-performing schools in Seoul South Korea. We do the work and give you satisfaction and not just feed words that will definitely give either disappointment or appreciation. Either way, it’s not good. You must not appreciate things, you must feel the satisfaction.”

 

Everybody was listening intently. For the past years, the presidents’ speech is always like this: starting with a plain, boring report about this and that and will end with a very-fearful threat. If other people see it as a threat though. But almost all of the students, employees and even parents were attentively listening to his words. The Presidents’ time is precious and his words were either lethal or chocolates. Can be deadly or can make you feel good, like chocolates.

 

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.” The President started.

“I’ll either find a way or make one.” Dara mumbled. Bom look at her with a questioning expression “I translated Mr. Yangs’ words.” Then, suppress a smile.

“Smart unnie.” Bom mumbled, and then look at the President. She wouldn’t waste her luck being caught talking while he’s giving his speech.

 

“’I’ll either find a way or make one’ is the very appropriate phrase I want to share to you. The Sequel University is the only University in Seoul, or maybe in South Korea, that visions success and excellence with both small things and big ones. The only University that provides quality assured technology, facilities for the students’ heart desire and content.

I want to share that phrase for you to live a life like what I am living right now. Make things possible, even the unexplainable and impossible things.”

 

The President went down to the podium, assisted by his nephew, the Student Council President- Lee Seunghyun. Everybody stand up and made a 90 degrees bow with respect to the President. It is not written on the school policy but it is a form of right conduct. As soon as the president aren’t around anymore, almost all of the students took a deep breath and sat down. The aura of the school president is definitely intimidating.

 

“The President is still the same. Same President Yang Hyun Suk we met when we were still on our Kindergarten.” Bom mumbled.

She and Dara were alumni of the school. They met personally the President thrice: Kindergarten graduation, Elementary Graduation and the time when the school required students to have them checked on schools clinic due to German measles outbreak 2 years ago.

 

“Definitely.” Dara affirmed it. She met the President every after his speech, together with the school SC President and with the other top-performing student in their batch- first year to fourth year. He’s intimidating but not to the point that your knees feel like a jelly-o due to nervousness. Though at first I think I was about to faint when I first met him… she thought.

 

“Sandara Park?” A boy with a glasses called-out for her name while she and Bom are heading to their first class. She recognizes him as the Student Councils’ P.I.O and the third years Basketball Team Captain- Wu Yi Fan.

“Yes?”

“President Lee Seunghyun asked you to walk with him in less than 10 minutes.”

Dara’s eyebrow arched and tried her best not to roll her eyes. He’s being control freak again! “Why?”

“You must report yourself to the School Presidents Office. President Yang wants to talk to you about specific matters.” He said, in a dull tone. I never thought he’s like this… Dara mumbled on her thoughts.

“Okay. Thank you, Wu Yi Fan.” Dara said, with a smile on her face.

Wu Yi Fans’ face flushed. “Y-your Welcome Sandara Park-sunbae.”

“Don’t call me like that. Just call me noona and I’ll just call you Kris. Arasso?”

“N-nae.” He mumbled, still with a flushing face. “I-I have to go n-noona.”

Dara smiled. “Nae. Jal kaseyo.”

 

Kris walked fast, faster then she expect. Does my breath ? She thought. She was about to put her hands on to smell if it do when Lee Seunghyun approached her with a victorious smile. She wants to roll her eyes to inform him, Lee Seunghyun, that she’s annoyed to his actions.

“He likes you.” Lee Seunghyun said as he approached Dara. “Well, I forgot that everybody likes San. Da. Ra. Park.”

Dara don’t know if Lee is mocking at her or just plain annoying her. Either way, it’s effective. She felt like she’s being mocked and at the same time, annoyed. Big time.

 

“Geez, stop annoying me Seungri. You’re getting into my nerve.” Dara mumbled while walking towards the way to Presidents’ office.

“Well, I’m an effective annoying-man then.” Dara rolled her eyes and silently walked with Seungri on her left side.  “What does uncle wants?”

“Don’t call him like that especially if you’re walking inside the school premises.”

“Tsk.”

 

A big, mahogany door approached her sight with scribbles that she doesn’t understand. She took a deep breath, trying to calm the fast and hard beating of her heart. He’s just ahjussi…I mean, sam chon she mumbled. But the fact that he is the President and her uncle, also added a degree of nervousness to her.

Seungri knocked three times, as what the protocol says, before put an effort on opening the door. Once the door was opened, they can smell the strawberry scent of the room. She smiled on her thoughts and looked at Seungri who’s now frowning.

“I’m still his favorite niece.” She mumbled then walked forward towards her uncle. “Annyeonghaseyo.”

“Dara!” he exclaimed. He hugged her tightly that made Seungri rolled his eyes with too much frustrations. I won!

Un-uncle,  I-I can’t b-breath…” Dara mumbled.

“Oh, I’m sorry. It’s just that, I missed you badly.”

 

Who would have thought that the intimidating Yang Hyun Suk is definitely, a very warm-hearted sam chon of Sandara Park and Lee Seunghyun. No one can figure this out, definitely no one since the two students and President Yangs’ attitude is totally opposite.

 

“I have business with you.” He told her, while guiding her to sit down on the couch with Seungri. Seungri on the other hand, is busy texting someone. He’s not a competitive cousin to their Uncle Yangs’ attention but surely, he’s competitive in terms of power in their school and fame.

“What is it uncle?” Dara asked, nervously. “Is this about my academic performance?” Her grades went down to .02 percent and she’s quite frustrated with it. She must graduate with flying colors.

“Woah, woah. “ Seungri reacted upon hearing Daras’ nervous question. “I didn’t hear about that from the teachers noona. How’s your gardes, by the way?He asked, concern was written on his face. Sure Seungri is annoying but he’s the sweetest cousin she had.

“Went down to 0.2.”

Seungri burst to laugh, “Looks like you’re being grade-conscious-freak again.” He said then went back to his business- texting.

“Tell me uncle..” Dara plead, “I-I’m nervous already..”

 

President Yang laughed. If someone see’s this side of President Yang, I bet no one will ever believe his words…

“Well, I’ll give you prize.”

“What is it?” Dara asked.

“How about me? Do I have a prize too?” Seungri asked, with full of excitement on his face.

“Why would uncle give you a prize?” asked by Dara, teasingly.

“Same as the reason why uncle will give you a prize.” He said, tongue-slip out on his mouth. “Uncle! Uncle! Ppali, tell me if—“

“Since Dara maintained her grades since first year, I’m giving you the privilege of choosing your own Noye.”

 

She gasped with her eyes and mouth wide open. No… NO… Crap!

“I want to have a Noye too!” Seungri exclaimed.