Just Don't Get Hurt

Apt. 34A

 

 

I heard two knocks at the door as I poured myself a bowl of cereal in the kitchen and quickly set the box back on top of the fridge and grabbed my breakfast. 

"Come in!" I shouted.

The door fell back silently and uncle Minho stuck his head in, waving as he caught me walking back to the living room.

"Hey loser!" 

"Nice to see you too," I grumbled while taking a seat on the couch. 

He laughed and shut the door behind himself before walking into the living room and leaning against the wood archway. 

"Heard about the good news," he smirked. 

I raised an eyebrow at him, taking a spoonful of lucky charms and shoving it in my mouth and swallowed quickly. 

"How did you know about that? I didn't even tell you yet," 

"Connections," he shrugged and lifted himself up as he came to take a seat on the couch as well. "A few of the people that I associate with happened to inform me about your recent acceptance,"

"You're keeping tabs on me?" I said around a mouthful of cereal. 

"I'm just making sure my niece is doing okay on her own," he held up his hands. 

"Uncle, I'm 20 years old not two," 

"Yah if I don't who will hm?" He said and knocked my forehead. 

"Aish okay okay you're right," I grinned and swatted his hands away before taking another spoonful. "Thanks again for coming over," 

"No problem," he shed his suit. Uncle Minho loosened his tie and sighed as he ran a hand through his hair. "So did you tell your friend about it?" 

"You mean Seunghoon?" 

"Yeah him," he nodded. 

I blushed and shoved some more cereal into my mouth. "Ne," 

 

Flashback 

1 Week Ago 

"Are you expecting something?" Seunghoon said over my shoulder as I sifted through my mail after I had pulled it out from the box slot. 

"Sort of," I shrugged. 

I went through the letters, mostly credit card companies offering me services with them. Coupons and flyers from local department stores, bills for the apartment and a note from Uncle Minho. 

"Well what is it?" 

I looked through the stack until I came across a thick envelope with Korean National University of the Arts, in bold red letters on the side and the schools emblem underneath it. I gasped and turned around to slap Seunghoon against the arm repeatedly.

"Ohmygod it's here!" I squealed.

"What's here?! What are you so excited about?!" He said blocking my blows. 

"The letter from the university that I applied to earlier!" I said excitedly and smiled widely. 

"That art school?" 

"Yes!" 

"Well what are you waiting for? Let's open it now," he said with wide eyes and was just about to rip the envelope open for me when I frowned and clutched it to my chest. 

"No!" 

"No? But I thought you were excited..." He trailed off confused. 

"I am! But let's go to my apartment. That way if it's bad news I can cry and throw a tantrum in my room and if it's good news we can celebrate," 

"So what did you have in mind for celebrating?" He wiggled his eyebrows. 

"Nothing you're thinking!" I frowned and slapped his chest with the mail as we made our way to the elevator. 

"I'm just kidding," he laughed and rushed inside the elevator to close the door and press the button to our floor. "Can we order pizza if it's good news?" 

"And eggrolls?" 

"Eggrolls," he nodded. 

"And you'll pay?" 

"Yah!" 

I laughed and shook my head. "Nah I'm joking. We'll split it," 

The elevator dinged on the floor and as the door opened we both looked at each other before racing down the hall towards my apartment. 

"Cheater," I smiled and caught my breath just as I was pulling out the keys to my apartment. 

"Hey hey," he grinned. "Don't get mad at me just because your legs are shorter than mine." 

I rolled my eyes and pushed the door open, as it fell back silently and we kicked off our shoes as usual then strolled in towards the kitchen. Seunghoon set his stuff down on the floor and hopped up on the counter as his legs swung back and forth, almost scraping the tile. 

I set my things down beside me and leaned against the sink right beside Seunghoon as his chin rested on my shoulder comfortably. 

"Ready?" 

"Ready," I nodded. 

I ripped the envelope open and pulled out the manila piece of paper, unfolding it before I was reading across the top. 

 

Dear Ms. Lee,

Congratulations! It is my pleasure to inform you of your admission to Korea National Univeristy of Arts. Your admission is to the level, term, college and major listed below. Your residency status for the payment of tuition is also listed: 

Level: Freshman 

Term: Fall 2014 

College: Film, TV, Multimedia

Major: Multimedia

We look forward to your presence with us in the fall ! With best regards and wishes, we'll see you soon! 

 

I heard Seunghoon gasp beside my ear, but all I could see was I had been accepted. ME. LEE KYUNGMI WAS GOING TO A KOREAN ARTS SCHOOL. NOT A MEDICAL SCHOOL. AN ART SCHOOL! 

I gripped the edge of the paper tightly in my hands and choked out a laugh, not even aware that I was crying until Seunghoon leaped off the counter and was wiping my tears away with his fingertips. 

"Kyungmi-ah why are you crying? Are you okay? I thought this was good news?" He said with a frown. 

"Silly," I sniffled and shook my head. "These are tears of happiness, I'm so happy right now," and let out a sob as more rolled down my cheeks. 

He widened his eyes at me and gathered me in a tight hug, tucking my face underneath his chin and I gripped the back of the shirt for dear life. 

"As long as they're good tears. I'm so proud of you," he whispered like we had to be quiet. 

But it wasn't just the fact that I had gotten in that made me so emotional. It was the idea that I had finally done something I wanted to do on my own and something I had actually put effort in. I was working towards my own future, not my parents anymore and I was deciding my own future. 

My appa had been so against anything that wasn't a professional career choice and could see nothing but failure but I would prove him wrong. I would go to school and succeed in my academics like I had been doing all my life, then I would pursue photography. 

The infinite possibilities that could come out of working with media not only excited me but motivated me. I was going to have a better career than any job I would have gotten in the medical field. I was doing what I wanted. What Lee Kyungmi wanted to do, and no one could stop me now. Definitely not my parents anymore. 

I pulled back just as Seunghoon's hold loosened around me and he beamed when I rubbed my eyes and smiled back. 

"I can't believe I actually got in," I said in disbelief. 

Seunghoon scoffed and rolled his eyes. "I don't. I've been telling you since the beginning that you were a professional," 

"Whatever," 

"So um," he paused and bit his bottom lip. "Are we still gonna order the pizza and eggrolls?" He asked sheepishly. 

"Is that seriously all you think about?! Food?" I laughed and pinched his back. 

"Ouch!" He frowned. "And no, I've already congratulated you so we should continue the celebration with food," 

"First let me put this up," I said and untangled myself from his hold to walk quickly back to my bedroom.

I immediately dashed over to the side of my bed and set it on the mantle, I would remind myself to get a frame so I could put it up later. I took one last look at the paper before smiling to myself and getting up to go back to the kitchen.

"You better have your wallet ready!" I shouted.

Seunghoon twisted the cap around the back of his head and waved his wallet in the air as he danced around in a small circle.

"Pizza, pizza pizza. Whoop!"

"God you're so stupid," I giggled and for the first time in awhile had never felt my heart filled with so much happiness.

 

Present time

"He was really happy for me, I had always talked to him about how much this meant to me. So naturally he was excited,"

"That's good," he nodded his head slowly. 

"But..." I trailed off. 

"What do you mean but?" 

I set my cereal down on the table and crossed my legs in front of me. "You look like you want to say something else," 

Uncle Minho paused and looked ahead at the tv before sighing and shifting around until he was facing me as well. 

"I just don't want you to get hurt," 

"Hurt?" I said confused. 

"Yeah you know, by your little boyfriend or whatever he is," he motioned with his hands. 

"Uncle, no no no." I laughed. "He's not my boyfriend and trust me I won't," 

"Yeah I know, I'm just worried that's all. Aish I'm sounding like grandpa," he said frustrated and shook out his hair. 

"It's alright, I know where you're coming from uncle," I said and scooted across the couch to lay my head against his shoulder. 

"Do you really? I know you two are close and all, I just want you to be careful and not let anything get to you. Just know I'm always here for you, arasso?" 

He looked down at me just as I looked up and ruffled the top of my head. 

"Yah stop!" I pouted and tried to shove his hands away. 

"Ha! Love ya kid," 

"Whatever," I rolled my eyes. 


Hey did you guys enjoy this update??? Kyungmi got into university and the one that she applied to when she was living in Gangnam if you guys still remember LOLOL. Finally she can do what she wants! And uncle Minho is being so cute and looking out for his niece he genuinely doesn't want her to be sad, especially after what happened to her parents. 

Btw I listened to Dynamic Duo- Three dopeboyz feat Zion t. ......I think idk but it was a good song. And Loco-hold me tight ft. crush 

idk why I'm telling you guys this but I always think of music when I'm writing a chapter so I had this in mind. I'm completely biased though because I'm obsessed with Dynamic Duo 

soooooo until next time read, comment, upvote and subscribe. Love you guys!