New Friend

What If?

After class, I told Seung Hyun what happened. I told him about the deal I made with Hara and the date that I was compelled to come to. 

"Could she possibly have a crush on you?" He asked seriously.

"I don't know, but it isn't likely to happen though, she already knows about YoonA." '

"Yes, but even before that, could she maybe already started liking you even before that incident?

"I don't think so." 

"But then again, maybe this date is just a way to confess to the GREAT TAE MIN." He teased.

Ever since I ranked 8th on our exam he started putting `great' on my name. 

"Whatever. Girls are weird."

"You've got that right." Then we laughed it all out, looking like two idiots. But I laughed because of one thing, Hara doesn't like me, it seems very impossible for her to even like me. 

On Wednesday afternoon, Seung Hyun passed me a note. I looked at it, and it had my name on it. I opened it and it came from Hara. It read:

Change of plans. See you at 1 p.m instead.

Don't be late. 

 

Saturday came too fast that when I woke up in the morning I looked at my clock and it was already 11 o'clock. I hastily got out of bed. I ran downstairs and went towards the bathroom. I took a quick shower and when I got out my dad and my noona we're looking at me weirdly. "I'm going somewhere and I'm already late." I explained as I ran back to my room.

I changed into my dark jeans and my striped shirt. I fixed my hair and put on some perfume. When I got down I hastily put my boots on. I took the coat from the hanger and bid goodbye to my dad and my noona. "I'll text you when I'll get home. Bye dad!" I said.

I ran out from the house and went to the bus stop. After five minutes of waiting the bus finally came. It takes about 15 minutes for this bus to reach out school, so when I look at my watch it was still 12:30. I was hoping and praying that she still wasn't there yet. She already knows my secret and I don't want to the know my ugly fate if I'll be late today. I know she'd relish this time, and use it again against my will. I sighed. "Why did I even get into this situation?"

When the bus stopped, I quickly got out and ran to out designated place. I was panting when I got there. For a while I composed my self, fixed my hair and my shirt. I opened the door and I searched the place. She was seating at the far side of the shop. She was holding a cup in one hand and a book in the other. Her hair curled up and she was wearing her reading glasses. I walked towards her and she greeted me with a smile. I pulled a chair and sat across her.

"Have you been waiting long?"

"No, my friends and I had lunch here." She answered without looking at me. She was still too engrossed on her book.

"Okay."

Then she closed her book then finished her coffee. "Ready to go?" She asked.

"Sure."

She took her bag from the table and stood up. She was wearing her ripped jeans and her graphic shirt with her polo. When we walked out of the shop, we quietly walked to the bus stop. 

"I've never expected this." I said, trying to break the ice.

"What?" 

"You, looking more like boy." I laughed.

She smirked. "Since we're going to an amusement park, I don't think that wearing a skirt is appropriate." She laughed, not even sounding offended at all. "I need to see if that endurance of yours is tough enough for YoonA." She teased.

"Whatever."

Being with her is oddly comfortable, but I still wasn't ready talking my feelings to her. She was still YoonA's cousin and she even threatened me to go on a date with her or else she'll tell to her cousin about what I really feel for her. So no, I definitely won't fall for her trap.

When we got there, I pulled my wallet out and bought our tickets. When we got inside, I looked at her. She was looking so happy and excited that I didn't even have the heart to be mean to her. "So what do you want to ride first?" I asked, trying to ask gently.

"There!" She pointed at the left.

Not even waiting for an answer, she pulled my arm and went ot the direction she wanted. I looked at it, and it was a giant boat. I watched as it goes higher and higher like a swing. I gulped. I don't like heights. She left and my side, and when she came back she already has the tickets, then she pulled me again to the line near the ride. "Aren't I supposed to be the one who's paying?"

"No. I asked you out, so I should be the one responsible."

"Okay, I'll just treat you to dinner after this then?" I didn't want her to handle all the transactions for the whole day, it wasn't very manly, and it was even very embarrassing for a guy to be the one being treated. But since she insisted, I tried to compensate that with dinner. 

"Sure." She smiled.

After a few minutes we got on to our seats. I was really worried and sacred. I was hoping and praying that I'll live through this day. Please? The ride started slow, and after a while it got higher and higher, that my gripped got tighter. I was so scared, but I was trying to let it out through screaming. When I caught a glimpsed of Hara. She was happy, she was having fun. In my head, I got a little happy too. At least I sacrificed my fears for her smile. 

When the ride stopped, I got out, and felt a little dizzy. So I bent for a while. "Are you okay?" Hara asked. 

"I'm fine." I said briefly. I didn't want to tell her that I was afraid.

"Ready for the next ride then?" She asked excitedly. 

I looked at her with worried eyes, but instead She just pulled me. I was hoping it wasn't the rollercoaster. Please don't let be the rollercoaster. Then we stopped. I looked at the sign. Bumper Cars. My heart jumped a little. YES!  We did what we do earlier, and while waiting, a group of boys was looking at us. 

"Isn't she hot?" Someone said.

"Yea, that boy with her doesn't suit her at all."

"You've got that right dude." 

I felt a little disheartened. It wasn't mainly because of what they said, it was more because, if Hara and me doesn't suit each other at all, then that makes me and YoonA even a lot more distanced. I looked at the ground, I tried not to listen to them anymore, but then Hara held my hand. 

"Hey sweetie, are you okay?" She asked sweetly.

I looked at her, wondering. 

Just play along, she mouthed. 

"Yea, I'm okay sweetie." Then I put my arm around her shoulder, and she moved closer to me. 

I glanced at the boys, and they even looked more shock than I am. I laughed a little. 

The ride was okay. I bumped her more times than she does, which is the objective of the ride. It was fun though, mostly because it didn't involve heights, but after that, she pulled me to many rides, that I got to enjoy a lot more than I expected. My fear for heights, temporarily vanished because of the fun I was having. But what I didn't expect the most was how Hara was enjoying the moment more than I do. She acted like a little kid, that she always pushed me to whatever she wanted to do, I didn't complain, 'cause I know it wasn't very fair to her, and I didn't want to see her sad, unbelievably.

When we went to the nearest fastfood for dinner. We sat down and jumped into conversation immediately. We were talking about all the rides we had. We even bought souvenirs from the park. We even went to the photosbooth, just so we can have a remembrance for that day. It was gay, I know, but I also wanted something that makes me remember how fun Hara can be.

"But you are afraid of heights, aren't you?" She asked out of nowhere.

I didn't answer.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"How did you..?"

"Not telling." She smirked.

"Whatever, and I think it's your first time to go to the park" I teased. I said that just 'cause she was acting like a kid the whole time. 

She didn't smile. "It was. I never went to parks when I was a kid."

"I didn't know." I said, apologetically.

"It's okay. My parents never had time. I didn't have any friends. I should be the one saying sorry."

"No, it's not your-"

"It is." She cut me. "I forced you to do this, it was my own selfishness in asking you out. I'm sorry"

"Yea you're right, but you know what? I had fun. Unexpectedly I enjoyed my self. So thank you for this." I smiled at her.

She smiled back. "Don't worry, I won't tell YoonA."

"The next time, you want to go out, just ask me normally, I'll even bring Seung Hyun for it to be even more fun."

"That would be great."

After that night I earned a great new friend.