Myeongdong

What If?

For the remainder of the week, I didn't see Hara at all. I was a bit worried about her, but frankly, thinking about my date with YoonA, kept me occupied, leaving Hara out of my mind. The day she came and asked me out, my classmates kept badgering me about her as soon as she left. They were still so surprised about the the fact that I was actually dating her. I laughed, remembering the same expression I had the first time she acknowledge my feelings.

Saturday came by quickly, and as I was getting ready, I heard my phone beeped. I hurriedly took it from my desk, thinking it was YoonA, but instead the person's name took me by surprised. I opened the message and it said:

Meet me at the coffee shop near the school. 

I quickly ran downstairs and bid goodbye to my noona and appa. I took the bus and when I got there, she was there waiting outside the shop. 

"So you don't reply to my texts, and I haven't seen you at school not even your shadow, now you ask me out? I seriously don't understand girls." I ranted. I never knew it, but I was actually feeling angry towards her, I never knew that until now. Being ignored by her, actually made me feel sad. 

She punched my shoulders. "Stop that ranting, you're starting to sound like a girl."

"Ranting? After a week of ignoring me, that's all you can say-" I paused and took a deep breath. "Fine. So what's up?" I said, trying to sound nice. 

"I was bored." She said nonchalantly.

"Bored? Seriously? Why can'y you just say you missed me." I said jokingly.

"I've missed you? YOU? Seriously?" She smirked. 

I laughed. "Aishh, look at this girl. Ne ne, you're were bored then." I looked at my phone and it was half past 4. 

"I need to take a call. Wait here." I said, and walked towards at the other side of the shop. I immediately pushed her on speed dial, hoping and praying that she'd pick up. But after the fourth try I decided to leave her a voice mail.

"Noona, I'm sorry, something came up, I promise I'll drop by later. I'm sorry." I said, and then hung up. I frowned. I hope she was okay and I hope she'd forgive me for flaking on her. 

                               tumblr_lsx4ziB61u1qg6dyso1_500_large.jpg

When I went back to Hara, she was finishing her iced coffee. "So I'm going somewhere later, but before that, what do you want to do?" I asked. 

She shrugged.

"You can't possibly go out and asked me, and not think anything in mind."

"Myeongdong." She said softly.

"Really?" I asked her.

"Ne, I want to go to Myeondong." She answered eagerly.

"Then Myeongdong it is malady." I said, imitating those people form the 16th century in Britain. I even offered her my arm, like a real butler would do. Suprisingly she played along and even hooked her arm on mine. 

"The carriage malady." I said as the the bus was approaching.

"Myeongdong here we come." She said cheerfully.

As we got out of the bus and started to walk on the streets of Myeondong, she was completely immersed in everything she sees. She was like the kid-like Hara I saw on the park before. And to be honest I was really happy for her.

"So why Myeongdong?" I spurted.

"I've never tried coming here, like what normal teenage girls do." 

"Really?" But coming from her background, I already expected that from her.

She nodded. 

"How come?"

"No friends, overprotective parents and.. a deceased brother." She said sadly.

I freezed, and looked at her. This was the first time I ver heard of it. I couldn't even utter a single word, 'cause I was really shock for what she said.

She pulled my arm and started walking again, "He passed away two years ago. It was cancer. It gave a big strain on our family that it almost ruined my parents marriage, but fortunately they made up. But what happened to my brother got them even more worried for me, so that's why they never let me out on my own our such." She explained.

"I'm sorry, about your brother." I said gently.

She smiled. "This is the first time I ever talked about it, especially to someone outside of our family."

"Don't worry, your secret's safe with me." I promised. "What was he like?"

"Warm, like a big cuddly teddy bear." She chuckled.

"I'm sure wherever he is, he's looking out for you." 

Tears started to slowly form on her eyes, "I know." 

I cupped her face and wipped her tears. "No more sadness malady. Today we are here to have fun, so let's go." I said. 

The afternoon was fun actually. We had endless activities found on the streets that we even got tired trying to do them all. First we went to some high-end clothing brands. Hara tried some of the clothes, and even bought them. I once glanced at one of the dress they had, thinking that YoonA might actually like it. I looked at the price and it was 5 months worth of my allowance. I quickly put the dress back on the rack. Next, we went to an arcade. Surprisingly Hara was good on games, and she explained that, it may be because her brother taught her some. On the way back, we saw some food stalls and I talked her into trying some, while she was eating, I took a step back and went to call YoonA. Unfortunately, she haven't answered again. 

DSC_0545.jpg"Here's your food." Hara said, giving me the spicy rice cakes we got. 

"Thank you." I said.

While we were eating Hara kept praising the food, "I never knew it tastes this good. I always see this on dramas, and I never once tried eating it, now I feel like I was an idiot for 17 years for not even trying one." She said. "Who were you calling earlier? You looked a little worried." 

"Your cousin." I answered.

"Oh.. Omo! Before you came, were you supposed to meet her?" She asked worriedly.

I nodded. 

"What are you still doing here? You should go to her now!" She pulling me up and pushing me towards the street.

"You know what, you're weird. First you told me to get out of this relationship, now you want me to go to her and apologized. I don't get you." I said curiously. 

"Whatever I say and do I have reason for it, but right now, the important thing is you go back to her." 

We hailed a taxi, and I bid goodbye to her. As I was about to enter the taxi, she quickly said, "Tae Min, thank you, and I promised you, whatever happens, I'll be here for you, like a good friend."

I nodded and left her waving at me. As I glimpsed back at her, she was smiling sadly, like there was a deeper meaning of what she said, but I didn't ponder on that much, since at that moment, my angry girlfriend is what's on my mind.