Family Dinner

What If?

                               Image Detail

 

Now I've got two things, hiding from YoonA, first was Hara's warning, and now her mother. I was worried for whatever may happen to us because of what they said, especially her umma, which turned out to be a shocker, since I thought she was a great woman. I still haven't open up about it to her though, for the reason that, the relationships they have with her, may ruin, especially her mom, since both of them are real close. 

"You're doing it again." She complained, then she ruffled my hair.

It was a Saturday, and we decided to get some coffee near our school. She insisted to be the one to order the coffee, which left me to think of these things again. Of course I needed to not show, or tell her anything, or else it'll be I can't repair. 

I apologized, then she gave me the coffee and bagel I ordered. "Why do you doing that?" She asked.

"What?"

"Spacing out. You do that everytime you think of something so serious." 

I didn't look at her. How she even observed these type of things, even I don't know that I do that. 

I shook my head. "I'm not thinking of anything." I denied.

"Just tell me, please?" She said, batting her eyelashes like what little kids do to get what they want. Ayyy, aegyo effect.

"No." I retorted, and for a while, I thought her strategy was going to work.

"I was thinking if you should meet my family tomorrow." I blurted. Omo! What did I just say? I should stop this now. "I know it's a little early but I think it's also important for them to know whom I'm dating." What?!! What did I just say? Aisssh! I hope she declines. I really hope she'd refuse this stupid..

"Ne ne, I'd love to mee them." She said eargerly. 

I sighed. I'm in big trouble. 

The next day, I immediately told umma about the "planned" dinner we were supposed to have with YoonA. Of course, she was so thrilled about it, that she even cried a little, 'cause she felt like I was already growing up, and now I'm bringing a girl home. 

"But why do we still need to have a formal dinner, didn't I already meet her?" She asked.

I thought about it a little, until I remembered, that she probably saw YoonA when she came over when I saw sick. "I know, but appa and noona still need to meet her." I answered.

She nodded. "I'm sure they'll like her, just like I do. Hmm, what to do then? I already showed her your albums." 

I looked at her surprised, was she thinking that my girlfriend is, "Umma, did you think that Hara was coming?" I asked, checking if my guess was right.

She nodded. 

I shook my head. "Umma, me and Hara are not in that kind of relationship, her cousin's my girlfriend, Im YoonA." I explained. I felt a little relieved, it was good I knew about this sooner, or else I would've been in a bigger trouble. 

"But I thought-" 

"Aniyo, Hara and I are just friends." I cut her.

She heaved a sigh. "Okay." She said, with a lesser excitement as what I would've expected. 

"Mama, YoonA's great, I'm sure you'll adore her." I smiled.

She didn't answer, instead she just smiled back and went back to the kitchen. I didn't feel bad, I know in just a short while, when they'll meet her, she'll like her more than anyone else, I'm sure of it.

So when umma, went out for the market, I decided to clean the house. I sweeped and vacuumed the floor, I wiped the chairs and furnitures. I even fixed my bed, just in case. My noona was looking at me weirdly, that I quickly explained about the dinner we were having later.

"Oh, sorry brother, I have to go to work. Emergency." 

"Oh, that's too bad then. Then I hope she'll meet you next time then, ne noona?" 

She nodded. "I'm going then. Bye bye~" 

I waved at her, and continued cleaning the house. After finishing, umma came back. When she was preparing, I decided to help her, by cutting the vegetables. After that, she made me do lots of things, while she do the rest. She made me stir the soup, clean the chicken and many other things. After a while, she told me, that she can already manage by herself, so I excused myself and prepared myself. I took a bath, and changed into the clothes I already picked the night before. When I went downstairs, umma was already done with dinner, when the bell rang. I hurried answered the door, and I saw YoonA. She was wearing a white boat top matched with a floral skirt, and her hair was done with a braid. She bowed, and came inside.

                                                 Tumblr_lrq018kvqv1qmb0iso1_500_large

She held my hand for a while, and let it go when she saw my mom. "Annyeong hashimnikka." She greeted my parents. "Thank you for inviting over."

My parents smiled. "Thank you for coming." My umma said. "Dinner will be serve in a while, just wait in the living room." She said, and left us with my dad.

The whole time we were waiting, my appa talked to YoonA. He asked her about school, her family, her hobbies. Surprisingly, YoonA was very cheerful the whole conversation, she kept my dad entertained, through her answers, and the jokes she told me. My dad often gave a hearty laugh. I felt at ease, I think this is a good start. After a while, my mom called us, and we went to the dining room.

"YoonA, have this, it's my wife's signature dish." My appa said, handing her the kimbap. 

YoonA took one and took a bite. "Ohh, ahjumma's kimbap is the best, no wonder you make a good caterer." She complimented my mom.

"Omo! How did you know that?" My mom asked her.

"Tae Min talks about you a lot. He told me how a good cook you are, and that you're dishes are the best one in Korea." She said.

My umma, didn't answer, instead, she just looked at YoonA, and smiled, looking flattered. The whole dinner, my parents asked a lot of things about YoonA. And I was not surprised at all that YoonA had great social skills. She made both of them entertained by her storied. She told them about stories about her when she was young, and things about her ballet. I held her hand under the table, and she looked at me. She smiled, and held my hand tighter. With that I felt a little comfortable. 

"Omo, are you the that Tae Min and Hara watched last month?" Mother asked.

"Ne. But did you already meet my cousin?" She said instantly. 

She nodded. "She came here, a day before the ballet competition." 

"Ohh." She answered, but she immediately let go of my hand. I suddenly felt empty. I looked at her, and I could see that she felt a little sad. I know she was still feeling jealous about me and Hara. So I didn't press for anything and instead concentrated on dinner. When we were finished, umma told me, to wait for  desert in the garden. So I told YoonA, to follow me out. 

"Noona-" I started.

"You have a very warm home, and your parents are really nice." She said, forcing a smile.

"About Hara."

She shook her head. "I don't want to talk about it. I'm sure whatever it is, it has a very good reason." She looked at me, her lips her trembling. It's obvious that she wants to cry again. 

I took both of her hands in mine. She didn't react when I did that, and she didn't even look at me. "Ne, she came over before, because I needed help fixing myself before your competition." I started. She look up, she frowned a little. "Of course, I needed to look presentable before I see you." I explained. "So stop being jealous over that. She came because of you." I kissed her forehead. "Everything I do is for you YoonA. Saranghae noona." I said gently.

She hugged me tight. "Miyanhe. Saranghae Tae Min."