007

Neverland

“Krystal-ya, how are you feeling now?” Krystal’s appa spoke as he entered the room.

 

“I’m fine appa, just a little weak I guess?” Krystal said as she adjusts herself to sit up. “Appa, what’s wrong? You seemed bothered.”

 

“Ahhh. It’s nothing. By the way, the doctor wants you to stay here for a few more days for a thorough check-up.” He lied. Krystal was indeed needed to stay in the hospital for a few more days, but for her treatment and not check-ups as her results are already confirmed.

 

“A..a…appa. Is there something wrong with me?” Krystal looked into his eyes and noticed that he avoiding her gaze. “Just tell me what’s wrong appa.”

 

With a tinge of sorry behind his gaze, he looked straight into her eyes and said, “Krystal-yah. Mianhae. I don’t mean to keep this from you, it’s just that if it’s hard for me to accept it, it won’t be easy for you either.” Krystal just nodded, signalling for her dad to go on. “I just came back from the doctor’s room, he pulled out a report about you.” His eyes started to get watery while Krystal his back telling him that she’s ready for whatever he is going to tell her.

 

“Appa. Whatever it is. I’m ready for it.” Krystal spoke with a weak smile.

 

“The… The… The… The re… report.. Says that you.. you… you.. you. Are positive of leukemia.. I’m sorry Krystal.” He sobbed hard while hugging his daughter.

 

Yes Krystal was shocked. How can god be so cruel towards her? She has so many undone things and yet her time is limited. It’s not fair at all!

 

After her dad broke the news to her, the room ensued with silence, leaving the heartbroken dad hugging her shocked daughter. Who knows when will the last hug ever be?


 

“Krystal. Krystal? Are you there? Why haven’t you been coming to school lately? You’ve missed 5 days of lessons! We are really worried about you, reply us once you see this alright?” – Vic & Am.

 

“How long more is this gonna take? Is she seriously avoiding him?” Victoria whined.

 

“Duh? Gosh, didn’t know Kai could be such a coward. I mean if he just confessed his feelings to Krystal!” Amber said as she threw her hands up high in the air, showing signs of desperation.

 

During the days when Krystal wasn’t in school, Victoria told Amber what happened when she was on the phone call with them that day.

 

“Vic, let’s pay Krystal a visit later.” Amber suggested.

 

“Sounds good! We’ll then drag her back to school with us!” Victoria exclaimed.


 

“Tear it down.” Lay demanded.

 

“But… Oppa! She really is one for seducing you and Kai!” One of the fangirls said defensively.

 

“I SAID TAKE IT DOWN!” The peaceful unicorn suddenly shouted, shocking everyone around him. His face is now red from anger and his hands were balled into a fist, ready to punch another fangirl who decides to spread rumours about Krystal.

 

Turns out that when Krystal was absent from school these few days, the fangirls went around spreading rumours about her and started pasting pictures of her with caption “B*tch” along the hallways of Youngha High.

 

“Hey, relax. Let’s go grab some food.” Luhan said as he patted his good friend’s shoulder.

 

“Leave me out. I’m going to the music room.” Lay said as he shrugged Luhan’s hand off his shoulder.

 

“Are you really in love with Krystal?” Luhan mumbled his thoughts out.


 

On his way to the music room, Lay heard music coming out from the dance studio. Being curious, Lay peeked into the dance studio and saw Kai dancing. Beads of perspiration were trickling down from his head, seems like Kai had been dancing for a very long time. Not wanting to disturb him, Lay stealthily sneaked into the dance studio and watched him dance from a corner. Kai was dancing Jazz, his forte.

 

Lay and Kai met each other when they were 14. It all started when they happened to go to the same dance class. They often choreographed new dance moves together after class; they basically spent almost everyday with each other. Because of this long period of time spent together, they became really close friends. Often, Kai will confide in Lay, and during those heart to heart talks they had, Kai always didn’t fail to talk about Krystal; the root to all of his heartaches. Lay must admit that at times, he really admired Kai for his character. No matter how many times Krystal chose to push him away, he will stand up again walk beside her. Though it irritates her a lot, but Lay can tell that Krystal has slowly opened up towards Kai.

 

“OUUUUUUCH.” Kai cried in pain.

 

Lay snapped out of his thoughts immediately, and saw Kai sitting on the floor holding his waist. Instantly, Lay ran up towards Kai and tried to help him up.

 

“Is it your waist injury again? Stop being so harsh on yourself Kai.” Lay reprimanded Kai.

 

Kai just remained silent.

 

“Tell me. Tell me what’s wrong dude. I can see it.” Lay questioned Kai.

 

“Why are you here?” Kai asked coldly without looking at Lay.

 

“That’s not important at all. Don’t try to change the subject. I know something is not right. What’s wrong Kai?”

“What’s wrong? Hah. You’re asking me what’s wrong? Drop the act bro. How despicable can you get? Making use of the chance when I’m not around? You’re the one I trusted the most! I’ve never been so wrong in my entire life.” Kai shook his head in disappointment and trudged out of the dance studio, leaving a Lay dumbstruck in the middle of the room.


 

Back in class after lunch break, Kai was nowhere to be found.

 

“Where are you? Class is starting.” – D.O

 

Kyungsoo continued staring at his phone waiting for Kai’s reply, unfortunately the teacher came in before Kai’s reply. Kyungsoo had no choice but to stop worrying about his buddy for now and concentrate in class.

 

On the other hand, Kai was lying on his bed with his waist bandaged. Yes, his waist injury is back again, looks like it will take him another 2 weeks before he can dance again. These 2 weeks would probably be the most torturous 2 weeks for him. Dancing is his way of relieving stress and getting away from reality, being not able to dance for these 2 weeks, there was no way for him to stop thinking about Lay’s betrayal and how happy Krystal would be with Lay around her all the time instead of him. Knowing that the person he trusted most is dating the person he loved the most was enough to kill him. After witnessing this incident, Kai shut himself off completely from people around him; he stopped hanging out with the exo boys and went straight home after school. Also whenever someone tries to strike up a conversation with him, they would just receive a cold treatment from him. Basically these few days, he was living his life like a mute. This issue has hurt him so bad that even his closest noona wasn’t able to reach out to him.

 

“Aish, what’s with this boy? Why isn’t he picking up his phone?” Kyungsoo said as he ruffled his hair in frustration.


 

“Ding dong. Ding dong. Ding dong.” The doorbell rang. Outside stood Victoria and Amber with bags of Krystal’s favourite food.

 

“Coming! Please wait for a moment!” A faint voice shouted across the house.

 

The door opened, revealing a frail Jessica; Krystal’s older sister.

 

“How can I help you?” Jessica asked.

 

“We are here for Krystal, can we see her?” Victoria asked politely.

 

Hearing Krystal’s name, Jessica can’t help but to feel sad again as her eyes started to sting. Victoria and Amber were shocked by Jessica’s behaviour, without knowing what to do, Amber can only offer Jessica tissues while Victoria did all the comforting.

 

“I’m fine… Thanks… It’s just that… I can’t bear to let her go.” Jessica sobbed.

 

“Let her go? Who?” Victoria asked curiously.

 

“Kr.. Krystal… Remember how she faints so often lately? The last time she fainted, she was admitted to the hospital. The doctor did a check-up on her and she was positive of leukemia. Her time is limited now. Though I really hated her in the past, but after all she is my sister! I can’t bear to let her go! I really can’t!” Jessica cried as Victoria slowly embraced her. 


 

Victoria and Amber didn’t know what to do, upon hearing that piece of news. They were utterly shocked. After getting back their senses, they rushed to the hospital, to find Krystal.

 

“Krystal!” The door leading to Krystal’s ward boomed open.

 

Krystal jumped a little, shocked by the sudden explosion from the door.

 

“Hey Vic and Am!” Krystal greeted them cheerfully with her arms outstretched.

Victoria and Amber just flashed her a weak smile.

 

“What’s wrong? Awwww. Don’t be sad! I’ll be back in school tomorrow!” Krystal pouted.

 

“We heard about it. Why didn’t you tell us first hand?” Amber asked.

 

“First hand? How do you want me to tell you? Send you a message saying that I’m positive of leukemia and my time left is limited? I can’t do it… I just can’t. Furthermore, right now, other than my family members you guys are the first to know! I’m sorry.” Krystal said as a tear rolled down her cheek.

 

“No, don’t say that. I’m sorry.” Amber said as she hugged Krystal.

 

“Let’s not waste her time by crying! Make her happy Am!” Victoria said trying to break the sad atmosphere hanging around in the room.

 

Krystal giggled a little before proceeding to say, “Yeah! Let me enjoy my last moments! Oh by the way, please. I beg you guys. Don’t tell anyone, especially Kai. I seriously don’t know what’s up with him nowadays. I’m glad though, glad that he is distancing away from me. At least when I’m gone, he won’t be that sad.” Krystal smiled a little.

 

“Tell me Krystal. Do you like Kai?” Victoria ask as she held both of Krystal’s hands.

 

“I was unsure of my feelings in the past until he decided to ignore me. From then onwards, I confirmed. I knew that I liked Kai all along, just like the way he does. But I guess, fate just wants us apart. There will be no happy ending if we are together now. So let’s just leave things as it is.”