026

Neverland

"Omma, when are you bringing me away?" Krystal spoke as she traced her mother's gravestone. "I'm so tired of everything that's happening around me, please. Just take me away already."

 

"I can no longer look at appa at the same way, why did he do this? Why does he have to make me look weak? Why did he made the promise with Kai? I'm sick and tired of people casting me all those looks filled with pity." Krystal continued to pour everything out.


 

"What's taking her so long?" Jessica took a look at her wristwatch.

 

Jessica's grip tightened on the steering wheel as she thought about the bad things that can happen to Krystal which may cause her to be unable to make it back safely to the car. "Aish, I'm going to go check on her." With that, she stepped out of her car and ran towards her mother's grave.


 

"Where could she be?" Jessica grip a handful of her hair, threatening to pull it out.

 

When Jessica arrived at her mother's grave, she saw how her mother's grave was swept neatly, which gave a trace that Krystal was here earlier on, but right now, Krystal was nowhere in sight. Jessica got really anxious, and started blaming herself for trusting Krystal to be responsible enough to take care of herself and for leaving Krystal alone.

 

"Where is she?" Jessica continued to walk around to look for traces of Krystal. Suddenly, her phone rang, seeing that it was from Krystal, she sighed in relieve and quickly picked it up.

 

"Where are you Krystal Jung? Do you know how-" Halfway through her lecture, Jessica was cut off by Krystal's breatheless speech, "U...Unnie... Co...me... Quickly... Toilet..."

 

"KRYSTAL JUNG-YAH! STAY WITH ME, DO NOT HANG UP! I REPEAT, DO NOT HANG UP!" Jessica shouted into the phone, as she ran with full speed towards the only toilet in the cemetery. Unfortunately, despite Jessica's attempt to have her sister with her, it was futile, as Krystal was no longer replying her, and Jessica can no longer hear anything coming from her, not even her breathing.

 

Almost immediately, the door burst opened, revealing an unconscious Krystal lying on the floor. Jessica immediately rushed up to her and lifted her up. "KRYSTAL KRYSTAL! KRYSTAL!"


 

"Krystal stay with me! Yah! You can't live unnie alone here!" Jessica continue to talk to Krystal, as she was being wheeled into the emergency room of the hospital.

 

"Sorry miss, but you can't enter. Please stay outside here and wait for us." One of the nurses pulled Jessica away as Krystal is being sent into the emergency room.

 

"Krystal..." Jessica sobbed. "Please, nothing must happen to you, please."

 

With trembling hands, she took out her phone and started dialling.


 

"What happened noona?!" Hyungsik questioned worriedly as soon as he saw Jessica.

 

Right when Hyungsik grabbed her shoulders, her tears threatened to fall again. "She... She just fainted... An...d. When I saw her... She... wasn't... even breathing!" Jessica cried.

 

"Who are the family members of Krystal Jung?" A nurse hollered, catching the attention of Mr Jung, Jessica and Hyungsik.

 

"We are!" They replied in unison.

 

"Alright, follow me. The doctor wants to see all of you." With that the nurse turned her heels and walked towards the doctor's office with three of them trailing behind.


 

"Do you all know she hasn't been receiving enough nutrients for the past week? Her health is already bad, and not receiving enough nutrients is just making things worse!" Dr Kim reprimanded them.

 

Upon hearing it, all three of them lowered their heads down in guilt. Mr Jung had been busy with his business lately, and hasn't been coming home for meals for the past week. Jessica was busy with her upcoming exams and of course, her new boyfriend, Kris. And as for Hyungsik, he had went back to Australia for some family business.

 

"Okay whatever it is. I don't care. Let's get straight to the point." Dr Kim paused for awhile before continuing, "Since you all have no time for her, then let her stay in the hospital, I'm sure this is the best for all of you and her. Besides, the visiting hours are pretty slack nowadays, so I'm sure you guys can visit her anytime you want."

 

"Then I guess I sign the form later on." Mr Jung voiced out.

 

"How's my sister?" Jessica blurted out, after noticing that nobody is going to speak anytime soon.

 

"She... She's pretty weak now. I guess the past week had been hard on her, be it physical or emotional. Both took a toll on her. And... Please try to spend more time with her this few weeks, because I'm afraid she won't be able to get through this year..."


 

"How is my favourite dongsaeng doing?" Hyungsik peeked into the hospital room and saw Krystal trying to sit up on her bed.

 

"Ah! Oppa!" Krystal managed to force a smile out.

 

Once Hyungsik helped Krystal to sit up comfortably, Krystal spoke. "So how's everything back in Australia?"

 

"It was nothing much, really. They just asked me to go back because they have set a date up for me. She's not bad looking, and the date went well." Hyungsik continued to talk about what happened in Australia.

 

"So what about you? I heard that you haven't been receiving enough nutrients for the past week, why are you skipping meals huh?" Hyungsik looked at her sternly.

 

"Ah... You know girl problems. I think I'm getting fatter that's why I decided to you know... Slim down a little."

 

"No, don't give me that crap, I know something is wrong." Hyungsik straightened his back, indicating that he is being serious right now.

 

"No... I can't... Say it out... It suffocates me everytime when I say it. Please... Don't force me..." Krystal lowered her head.

 

Hyungsik grabbed her head and moved it closer to his chest, hugging her. He knows that what she needs most now, is comfort. Since her source of comfort; Kai, isn't here right now, he will do his job for him, for now.

 

"Oppa..." Krystal fiddled with her fingers. "Can you do me a favour?" Krystal looked up at him.

 

"Sure. Anything for my dongsaeng." Hyungsik smiled as he ruffled her hair.


 

"A children's ward? So this is your idea of a fun place?"

 

"Yep, hurry! Come on!" Hyungsik dragged Krystal into the ward.

 

"Annyeong!" Hyungsik announced his entrance.

 

"HYUNG!"

"HYUNG!"

"OPPA!"

"APPA!"

 

Upon hearing a child calling Hyungsik appa, her eyes turned into the size of saucers. "How is it possible? And why didn't he tell me?" Noticing Krystal's reaction, Hyungsik immediately knew what was wrong and tried to clear things up. "Yah yah yah! Don't think the wrong way! She's the girl I've been talking about. You know? The one that appeared right at my doorstep?" Then it struck Krystal, which made her nod her head and formed an 'o' with her lips.

 

"Hyung who is she?" A kid asked Hyungsik.

 

"She's my friend, in fact, my sister." Hyungsik then gave Krystal a look. A look with pity, sadness and guilt. Pity that she didn't know how much Kai truly loves her. Sadness engulfed him because just like Jessica, he didn't want a sister like him to leave him anytime, she's a gem that he treasures and a piece of fragile china that he wants to protect. And guilt because he didn't do a good job taking care of her, being there for her and failing his duties as an older brother.

 

"Annyeong! Yep! I'm your hyung, oppa and appa's sister! Nice to meet all of you, let's have fun together for the next few hours!" Krystal chirped happily.


 

"Ahh... This bunch of kids. I want to play with them again." Krystal said dejectedly as they took a stroll in the garden.

 

"What's with your tone? It's not like you don't have the chance to play with them anymore." Hyungsik joked.

 

"That's exactly the reason. Who knows? I might just die the next moment." Krystal pointed out.

 

"Hey." Hyungsik turned to his side to face Krystal. "Don't say such things, you will get better, I promise. I'm going to be a doctor soon, and when I do, I will make sure you live pass me!"

 

Krystal smiled genuinely as she held Hyungsik's shoulders. "It's nice to know this, but no thanks. It's enough for me." After dropping her last word, she dropped her hands and walked ahead of Hyungsik.

 

Hyungsik quickly ran after her, "Hey. I don't know what happened to you recently, but I want you to know that, no matter what happens, you still have people like KAI who TRULY LOVES YOU." Hyungsik emphasise on those four words, hopefully Krystal will talk to him about it.

 

"Enough of me oppa. How about telling me more about the girl back in the ward? The girl that called you appa." Krystal simply shrugged his previous sentence off.

 

Knowing that she still doesn't want to talk about it, Hyungsik began telling her about the girl and her illness. "So besides the trauma, she's also suffering badly because of her weak heart. Unlike other kids who are able to run around in the playground, she can only look at them through the windows of the ward." He pointed up at the ward which the girl current is. "Hopefully, a compatible heart appears, so she can have her heart transplant and live like any other normal kids. Unfortunately, that's only if a miracle happens." Hyungsik sighed.

 

Out of curiousity, Krystal asked, "How do you know if a heart is compatible with hers?"

 

"Well, there are lots of to consider, and one of it would be blood type. Out of all the available hearts for transplant, none has the correct blood type for her."

 

"Then which blood type are you all looking for?"

 

"A. Blood type A." Something then struck Hyungsik. "Wait... You are not thinking about giving your heart to her, aren't you?"

 

Krystal just smiled sheepishly at him. "Why not? I'm dying anyway. Oppa do all the necessary procedures for me, and make sure she gets my heart after I die."

 

Hyungsik just stared at her in disbelieve. Krystal caught his look and went on, "What? Am I being too kind to be true or what? Yah! I've always been kind to everyone! Oh and, can I have a side request too? I want you to be the one doing the transplant for her."