024

Neverland

"What are you talking about? You'll never be a burden to me..."

 

"I've promised to take care of you for my whole life..." Kai attempted to enclose Krystal in a hug as he approached her.

 

"Please don't..." Krystal plead as she stopped Kai from getting near her. "Kai, please... Just leave me alone for now."


 

After they have successfully descended down from the ferris wheel, Kai brought Krystal home. Unlike their trip to the amusement park, their way back home was suffocating. None bothered to start the conversation, they just walked side by side with a considerable amount of space in between them, just like how two strangers were to stand side by side. Often, Kai will throw a few glances at Krystal, but he always ended up receiving the scene of Krystal hanging her head down.

 

Krystal knew that the silence was suffocating Kai, but what can she do? She was the one who caused all this. If only she accepted his proposal back then, things would have been different now. What's exactly on Krystal's mind? Didn't she see the sparkle in Kai's eyes? Doesn't she finally realised that Kai truly loves her?

 

Suddenly, Kai stopped walking, which caused Krystal to finally look up. Realisation soon settled in Krystal as she came face to face with her house's doorstep. She secretly threw a glance at Kai and noticed him fiddling with his fingers while trying to avoid her. Both of them stood right in front of her doorstep for quite sometime as the silence from before ensued.

 

Knowing Krystal since young, Kai knew that if he was to allow the silence to grow, they will continue to stay at the same spot even till next day. He cleared his throat and softly whispered a "goodbye" before turning his heels and walked away. Watching his back slowly fading away, tears started filling up in her eyes again.

 

She held both her hands to her face as she squat down and started sobbing into her palms. Seems like her source of happiness is totally gone now.


 

"So did you manage to ask her how her date went?" Mr Jung queried.

 

"Nope. After she came home, she just went to her room straight. I supposed she's tired hence I left her alone, but don't worry, I'll ask her tomorrow!"

 

"She's probably tired from all the surprises she got from him." Mr Jung smirked.

 

"Appa, seems like you have quite an amount of explanations for me tonight." Jessica settled down on the couch as she waited patiently for her father's explanation.

 

"Remember that time when we had a talk with him and I told him how he could have anything as long as he can make Krystal happy?" Jessica nodded her head and allowed him to continue. "That night when you went a date with Kris he called me, and told me that he was going to claim that reward. At first I was shocked, because I thought he truly loved Krystal and would not want anything in return, so I braced myself for his answer. And guess what? His reward was so straightforward that I got an even bigger shock." Mr Jung looked at his daughter waiting for her reply.

 

"Huh? What? Appa hurry! Continue!" Jessica urged her dad, wanting to know more.

 

"Hahahah, just look at you." Mr Jung laughed at how Jessica was getting so hyped up from their conversation, gaining back his composure, he continued, "He actually asked for Krystal's hand in marriage. That boy, he is always surprising people around him huh?" Mr jung joked as he took his cup from the coffee table and sipped his tea.

 

"BWO? Hand in marriage? So you mean, Kai proposed to Krystal just now at the amusement park? OMO That lucky girl, how romantic it must be!" Jessica clapped her hands in delight. "Looks like someone is going to get married earlier than her unnie!"

 

"Appa, let's just act like we don't know what's going on and ask her tomorrow morning during breakfast!"


 

Another morning when Krystal wakes up with puffy eyes. "Just how many more mornings are going to be like this?" With much effort, Krystal dragged herself to the bathroom and got ready for the rest of the day. No matter how bright the day seems to be, ever since the day when she knew about the pact between her father and Kai, everyday just seems dull and cold to her.

 

"One more day, and I'll have to face him again... What should I do?" Krystal sighed in front of the mirror and noticed how frail she has become. Ever since that day she knew about the pact, she had no appetite for anything, she often skipped meals and sobbed quietly in the toilets. Even though she is sick, she still disregarded it and allowed her health to further deteriorate.

 

"KRYSTAL JUNG WHERE ARE YOU?"

 

Knowing there's no way she can escape her sister, Krystal turned the doorknob. Right in front of her eyes stood a Jessica grinning from ear to ear. Immediately, she knew that Jessica is going to ask about yesterday's date.

 

Krystal managed to squeeze her way through Jessica and groaned into her pillow as she lay flat on her stomach. "Not now unnie, please." Krystal begged in her head.

 

"So... Seems like you have something to share with unnie today." Jessica sat right next to her as she observed her younger sister.

 

"Argh, unnie I'm tired, can we talk later?" Krystal tried to come up with an excuse to avoid the topic.

 

"You just woke up! Hurry sit up and tell me!" Jessica pried off Krystal from the bed, forcing her to sit down right in front of her.

 

"Okay, so yesterday was fun. We spent loads of time in the amusement park together getting on rides, fooling around and getting judge by the other visitors. That's all. Nothing romantic or anything like you've imagined." Krystal said it in oneshot leaving out the proposal part.

 

"Are you sure that's all?" Jessica eyed her suspiciously, knowing that Krystal isn't saying the truth.

 

"Yep! So may you excuse me for now... I'm going back to sleep." Krystal stood up and tried to push Jessica out of the room.

 

In a blink of an eye, Jessica turned around and faced Krystal for one last time, "Did something happened?"

 

Krystal shook her head and looked down, not wanting to face her sister for now. She knew that if she had eye contact with her sister right now, everything will just come crashing down. The walls she has built, the tears she has surpressed, everything.

 

"Krystal." Jessica called out firmly. "Look at me." She demanded. She knew that there's something going on whenever her sister avoids having eye contact with her. Though they didn't exactly spend their childhood together but through the times after their relationship has got better, Jessica had started to learn a lot more about Krystal. She knew how Krystal would fiddle with her fingers when she felt uncomfortable or when she was lying. She knew how Krystal would always be picky about her utensils when she is eating. She knew how Krystal was insecure of herself whenever she's sick, especially when her nose starts to bleed.

 

"Krystal Jung. Tell me what's wrong." Jessica demanded once again. Jessica's strong side softened when she heard sobs coming from Krystal. She stooped down, and her heart immediately broke when she saw how her sister was trying to surpress her tears from flowing. "Just what has she been going through?" Jessica thought to herself as she brought her sister close to her, soothing her back. "Just cry everything out, unnie is here. Don't worry. Don't keep everything to yourself, let it all out."


 

"Where are we going?" Krystal asked as she fastened her seatbelt.

 

"Somewhere." Jessica smiled as she adjusted the rearview mirror of the car.

 

Looking at how hard her sister cried earlier on made Jessica realised that she shouldn't pry into her matters any further and cause more hurt to her. Hence after Krystal has calmed down, Jessica decided to bring Krystal out to relieve herself and let everything out completely, because she knew that just through crying wouldn't help her anymore.

 

Jessica took a good look at her sister beside her and noticed how frail her sister has got, her eye bags were bigger than before and her body was as thin as a bamboo. Just how much has she missed out on Krystal's life because she was so busy going out with Kris? She sighed inwardly and sped off the garage.


 

"Why did you bring me here?"

 

"Because I know that you tell omma everything. How cold I was to you, how we got closer with one another. Everything." Jessica looked at her.

 

Krystal only kept silent as she fiddled with her fingers. "Don't keep omma waiting, I'm sure you have lots to tell her, so go ahead. I'll wait for you here. I promise, I won't listen to whatever you are going to tell omma."

 

Krystal looked up at Jessica and saw how sincered she was. Krystal nodded with thankfulness in her eyes as she got out of the car and walked towards her mother.