012

Neverland

"Wake up sleepyhead! You are gonna be late for school!" Jessica hauled Krystal up from the bed.

 

"Just a little while more please!" Krystal whined.

 

"No. Up now, or I'm gonna call Kai." Jessica threatened with her arms crossed at her sides.

 

Almost immediately, Krystal shot out of bed and ran to the bathroom to wash up. "DO WHATEVER YOU WANT, BUT NEVER EVER CALL HIM." Krystal shouted from the bathroom.

 

Ever since the party that night, Krystal's mind was filled with thoughts of Kai. She wondered why he suddenly left, was it because he was unwell? Was it because he hated her presence? She didn't know, there wasn't any calls from him and she was too afraid to call him. She feared to hear words that would hurt her coming out from Kai's mouth.


 

"Bye unnie! Bye Ahjussi!" Krystal waved goodbye before closing the door shut and watch the car drove off. As she turned around, a face appeared in front of her sight, just a few inches away from her face. It was Kai.

 

"Yah! Oh. Hi." Krystal avoided Kai's gaze.

 

"Wow. Do you hate me that much?" Kai questioned as he kept his gaze on Krystal.

 

"Huh? Err. No. I... I just... See you around!" Krystal fastened her pace and walked into the gates of Youngha High.

 

"Guess it won't be that easy to go back to where we left off..." Kai walked off dejected.

 

Suddenly, Kai felt a hand on his shoulder. Secretly hoping that it's Krystal, he turned around and soon found his wish crashing. It was his oh-so-brotherly, Oh Sehun.

 

"Go back to what?" Sehun prompt with his broad smile.

 

"None of your business Oh. Hurry get back to class before the teacher complains to your mum again." Kai swiped his friend's hand away and walked off.

 

"But it isn't even 8 yet!" Sehun shouted across to Kai.


 

Before the bell rang, the class was slowly filled with students. Krystal and Kai were already seated down on their respective seats; Krystal was looking out the window as if in deep thoughts while Kai was just observing her from the back of the class.

 

"Hey."

 

Kai looked up and saw a face that he dread the most. "What do you want?"

 

"Yah! I'm your hyung, you gotta be more formal to me little bud!"

 

"Ne hyung."

 

"So... How's the progress?"

 

"She sort of ignored me in the morning. Yeah..."

 

"So what's your next plan?"

 

"Ask her out for a date and probably make out with her in the library."

 

"YAH! BWO?" Luhan exclaimed as he smacked Kai at the back of his head, forcing his head to bang on the table. Other than that, all the students in the class had their attention on them, including Krystal. After squinting her eyes to get a clear view of who it was due to the glaring sunlight, she returned to her previous activity.

 

"Hyung! It hurts! I was just kidding! I don't even know what I'm gonna do next! I was just coaxing you!" Kai finished off by rolling his eyes with his hands rubbing the back of his head.

 

"How can you joke about such things? I thought it was for real! Plus base on her condition, you can't do that to her!"

 

"What condition?" Kai looked up, sensing that it was something bad.

 

"Er... Like you know, she... Er... She being angry at you for ignoring her! Ya that!" Luhan quickly found an excuse to cover it up.

 

"Oh. Yeah... You're right. I don't know hyung. I guess it would take a much longer time than I've expected to go back to the days we used to be. I would rather bicker with her, than to you know... Like how it is now..." Kai sighed as he buries his head into his arms on the table.

 

Luhan only patted Kai's back before returning to his own seat. "Phew. I almost let it off." Luhan wiped his forehead with the back of his hand.


 

The bell for lunch break finally rang, as though a zombie apocalypse had just happened, all the students rushed out of their boring classrooms and into the safe zone cafeteria. Unlike most students, Krystal and Kai were the only ones who were still in class. Krystal was still glued to her seat, looking out of the window. She seems to be preoccupied. Carefully, Kai approached her table, and knocked on her table a few times. Krystal jumped a little and immediately snapped out of her thoughts. Kai pulled the chair in front of her desk, and sat down while facing her.

 

"A penny for your thoughts?"

 

"Nothing much... Just... School work."

 

"Oh... Anyway I enjoyed myself during the party, thanks!"

 

"Glad you did... Er... Can I... Er..."

 

Kai cut her off and completed her sentence for her, "You may."

 

"How do you know what I was going to say?" Krystal looked at him astounded.

 

"Come on, we've been friends for a lifetime! Just ask me!" Kai encouraged her.

 

"Well... Why... Why did you suddenly leave?" Krystal avoided his eyes.

 

"I... I wasn't feeling well... So yeahh... But I'm fine now!" Kai sat up straight as he rubbed the back of his neck.

 

Krystal saw through it. She knew it was a lie, she knows that whenever Kai told a lie he would rub the back of his neck. She could read him just like how he managed to read her earlier on. She didn't want to ask why he lied, she just went with it because she knows that if he wanted to say, he will tell her eventually.

 

"Aren't you going for lunch?" Kai tried to change the topic.

 

"Nope. Not hungry. You?"

 

"Er... Do you want to hear the truth, or the lie?"

 

"How does it concern my question?" Krystal stiffled a laugh, she found Kai's reply a little amusing.

 

"Just tell me!" Kai whined as he sort of laughed at his own childishness.

 

"Okay... Fine fine. The truth please."

 

"I just wanted to talk to you." Kai turned all serious and looked straight into Krystal's eyes. The whole classroom turned silent, Krystal couldn't avoid his gaze and decided to look deeper into his eyes to confirm that it wasn't a lie.

 

She broke the eye contact and silence, "Then why did you avoid me in the first place?"

 

Though Kai was stunned by her boldness, he decided to reply her, for he knew that this question was haunting her. "I didn't have the face to see you. It's not that I did something bad. Okay let me be frank with you. Remember when I was away? Yeah okay, my family and Vic noona's family were off to jeju for some business event. I was with her when you guys were talking on the phone. When I heard that you were in love with some guy, my heart just fell." He stopped and looked at Krystal. "When I came back, I saw Lay hyung carrying you and it confirmed my thoughts, you were so close to him. Eventually I accepted the fact that you and him became an item. That's why for these past weeks, I kept avoiding you. I even avoided Lay hyung! I was hurt and depressed. Knowing that someone you love was taken away by your best friend is definitely not the best feeling in the world." The tears that Kai forbidded to drop in front of Krystal finally fell.

 

"And that's why after hearing it from oppa that we aren't together, you left the after party. You left not knowing how you should feel. You didn't contact me afterwards because you were sorting out your thoughts. Now that you are here, proves that you have finally sort it out." Krystal added on. She stood up from her seat, and walked towards Kai. Slowly, and gently she hugged Kai from the back, it was as though if Krystal exerted more force in the hug, Kai would break into pieces.

 

Still hugging, Krystal whispered into his ears, "Thanks for loving me, best friend." That's when Krystal's tears finally fell.

 

Accepting the fact that this was a forbidden love, where his love will never get reciprocated he replied her in sniffles, "You are welcome, best friend."

 

Dear Diary,

Had my 2nd treatment today! Glad that unnie came with me! At least I don't have to face those scary machines alone now! I can see that unnie feels bad for me, looking at how those machine take a toll on me. Sigh... If only I don't have this illness, but life is unpredictable isnt it? Just like how Kai and I managed to start talking again like how we used to! He told me he liked me, but I can't tell him that I like him too! I can't! We can't get into a relationship, I mustn't be so selfish! I hugged him, and he still... So warm exactly how I felt when he piggybacked me home. I don't ever want him to feel my cold body when I... You know...
Kai... Only if you knew how much I love you...
Signing off,

Krystal.

26th October 2012 :)


 

Author's note:

Hello lovely lovely readers! I'm so sorry for being absent for so long! I know you guys will hate me a lot yeah... But hey look! Kai and Krystal are finally talking again! Okay I promise you guys, once I'm done with school, I will update more often, I promise you all! Once again sorry for not updating!