010

Neverland

Five more minutes before the clock strike twelve. Everyone in the Jung household were already in their respective rooms, Jessica was in her room pacing up and down with a box clutched tightly to her chest.

 

"What should I say later on? Would it be weird? Should I just leave it outside?" She murmured to herself.


 

Finally the clock strike twelve, Krystal's phone immediately started to light up, and was spammed with many birthday messages. She picked up her phone and sat on her bed before viewing every birthday wish sent to her. After viewing it, she took quite some time to reply to all of the wishes.

 

As she was about to get comfortable and report to dreamland, knocks were heard from her door. Her eyes shot opened and stared at the door for quite some time, everyone should be asleep by this timing, who could be knocking on her door? Thinking that maybe her ears were playing tricks on her, she decided to let it slide. She pulled away her covers as she slowly approached the door when she heard the knocks once again. It slowly creaked opened as Krystal turned the doorknob, to her surprise there was no one out there. When her sleepiness took over the growing curiosity in her, she decided to head back to bed. Just when she wanted to close the door, a box on the floor caught her eyes. She picked it up and saw a card on it.

 

"Happ 18th birthday sister!" Was written on the card.

 

Krystal was shocked, knowing that the person who left it here was none other than Jessica, this was the first present ever from her. In the past whenever their dad celebrates Krystal's birthday, Jessica would always hide in her own room, refusing to come out and celebrate Krystal's birthday with her. Because of this, Krystal's birthday wish was the same every year. She wished that for the next birthday Jessica would come out of her room and celebrate her birthday together and hopefully Jessica will lessen her hate towards Krystal.

 

Krystal looked at the room opposite hers hoping for Jessica to open the door. As time goes by, nothing happened and that was when Krystal gave up thinking that maybe Jessica was asleep so she rushed back to her room with the box. A few moments later she appeared again with a piece of paper with some words written on it and slot it underneath the door of Jessica's room.

 

Jessica heard shuffling outside her door, curiosity was getting the best of her but she refrained herself from checking what was going on outside. When Jessica heard nothing anymore, she lifted her covers off her and tip-toed her way towards the door. Not far away from the door, she noticed the piece of paper Krystal slot in. She approached it and unfolded the piece of paper.

 

"Thank you unnie! My birthday wish for the past 17 years has finally came true! Sleep tight! -WITH EXTREMELY LOTS OF LOVE, KRYSTAL ♥♥♥"

 

Just like that, the Jung sisters peacefully entered dreamland for the first time in their lives.


 

It was eight in the morning but Krystal was not found in her bedroom, where could she be? The maid was about to knock on Jessica's door when she heard the Jung sisters talking loudly, with that she left them alone and walked off with a smile on her face. Since young, the maid was always stuck in between Jessica and Krystal, knowing that both of them are of good terms now, the maid can't help but to smile at this sight. How long has it been since they acted like sisters? It's been so long since they heard girls squealing and gossiping in the house, or should I say, they have never heard it ever since they entered this house?

 

"Unnie! Unnie! Wake up!" Jessica stirred in her sleep and turned her back to the owner of the alarm.

 

"Yah unnie!" Krystal snatched Jessica's blanket away from her before starting to attack Jessica with a pillow.

 

"WHAT? IT'S STILL SO EARLY. LET ME SLEEP." Jessica shouted back in annoyance.

 

"Unnie it's my birthday! Play with me!" Krystal pouted as she sat cross-legged on Jessica's bed.

 

"What are you? A kid?" Jessica scoffed, before lazily sat up.

 

"And may I know why you entered my room without my permission?" Jessica shot Krystal a death glare.

 

Krystal smiled sheepishly at her and ran off before Jessica could beat the daylight out of her. It was her birthday and she definitely did not want to look ugly on her birthday. "Unnie! See you for breakfast! Hurry and wash up!" She appeared once again at Jessica's door and left before the flying pillow could hit her.


 

After breakfast, Jessica suggested to Krystal that they should head out before Amber and Victoria come knocking at their doorstep.

 

"But unnie what if they appear even before we go back?"

 

"No they won't. The party won't start before six."

 

"What? Party?" Krystal asked in a higher tone.

 

Jessica's eyes widen as her hand instinctively went up to cover . She just realised that she broke the surprise for Krystal. "Yah. Pretend that you didn't hear anything."

 

"I can't now unnie." Krystal laughed at her reaction as she waved a finger in front of Jessica's face.


 

The both of them walked down the streets of myeong-dong, going into shops and coming out with at least one bag, squealing over good-looking guys and tasting all the food they found on the way. After all that shopping, squealing and eating; they decided to settle down in a cafe.

 

"Unnie, it's my turn to treat you now! What would you like to drink?"

 

"Caramel macchiato!"

"Caramel macchiato?"

Both of them responded at the same time which caused them to look at each other and they started bursting into laughter.

 

After five minutes, Krystal reappeared with two caramel macchiato in hand; she placed them down carefully as she returned the tray. As the both of them sipped their drink, they talked about stuff they never knew about each other. Indeed, Jessica was determined to be the sister Krystal has always wished for.

 

"Serious? Why did you reject him unnie!"

 

"He was being annoying, thinking that he could get all the girls he want! I was just teaching him a lesson, furthermore he isn't my type. Okay, okay enough of my story. How about yours? Do you have any guy that you like? The guy called, wait what's his name again? The one that I texted." Jessica rubbed her temples trying to recall his name.

 

"Kai?" Krystal suggested.

 

"Ah! Yes! Yeah him. Do you like him? He seems to like you a lot you know? Based on what I've observed, he ain't that bad."

 

"Unnie..." Krystal whined trying to make her change the subject.

 

"Can I take it that you are too shy to admit that you like him that's why you are trying to make me change the topic?" Jessica raised her eyebrow as she moved forward and placed her hands on top of Krystal's hands.

 

"Unnie... Sigh. I'm glad that we've finally patched up, so I guess I should share all my secrets to you like how other sisters do right?" Jessica nodded as she sat back and sipped her drink.

 

"Yes, I like him. Since you didn't play with me since young, I always went to the playground nearby and that was where I met him. I didn't fall in love with him at first sight though." She cleared up before Jessica starts making fun of her. "He did told everyone in school that he likes me, and that's when he started to get all protective and possessive of me. Though sometimes he really annoy me a lot but I soon got used to his presence, and that's perhaps when I unknowingly fell in love with him. You might ask me why I wasn't with him, well... I only discovered my feelings when I was diagnosed with you know... That's why I decided to leave our relationship as it is now. Being friends with him is not that bad too!" Krystal revealed her feelings.

 

"Yah. You are not dying, you will be going for the first treatment soon and that's when you will slowly recover! Stop thinking about all these during your birthday! Let's head back home and prepare for the 'surprise party'!" Jessica did a open and close inverted commas handsign as she tried to liven up the mood.

 

A day that both sisters will never forget. To Krystal, it was the day that Jessica finally accepted her. To Jessica, it was the day that she finally accepted Krystal and also a day that Jessica noticed how limited her time with her only sister is.