013

Neverland

"Hi Krystal, oh! Looks like we have your sister here today! Hello!" The doctor greeted Jessica with a bow before walking to his seat with Krystal's newest report in his hands.

 

"How do you feel after the treatment, Krystal?" The doctor enquired.

 

"I'm fine." Krystal smiled and Jessica gave her hand a light squeeze.

 

"Alright! Let's now take a look at your newest report then!" The doctor said as he opened up the file.

 

"How's it doctor? Is her condition stable?" Jessica spammed the doctor with many questions that Krystal had to pulled her sister back to her seat for Jessica to calm down.

 

"Calm down Jessica I know you are anxious about the results but let me finish reading first." The doctor replied calmly. 

 

"Sorry!" Jessica apologised.

 

"Krystal and Jessica, before I continue to tell you girls what the report says, I want you all to mentally prepare yourself for what I am going to tell you girls." The doctor looked at the both of them for signs to continue. The girls took a deep breathe before giving him a nod. Jessica grabbed Krystal's hands and gave it a light squeeze.

 

"Allow me to continue then. The report says that the cancer cells are beginning to spread. Which simply means that the cancer cells are multiplying at a faster rate from now." The doctor continued, "Fortunately for your case Krystal, there is another treatment where you can undergo to slower down the multiplying rate."

 

"But how about the treatment I'm going through? I've never skipped any treatment before!" Krystal cut him off.

 

"Krystal, like I've said earlier this year, the treatment you are currently going through is only to help lessen the syptoms of leukemia, like nose bleeding and so on. It does not gurantee that your cancer cells would not spread." The doctor reasoned out.

 

"She will go for the treatment." Jessica interrupted.

 

"Jessica, before you make decisions for your sister. I would want you to listen to the aftereffects of this treatment. This treatment is what many leukemia patients dread, not because of it's unbearable amount of pain but because of it's aftereffects. After going through this treatment, Krystal, our beautiful young lady over here will lose a great amount of hair and memory." After hearing this, Krystal's heart immediatly sank and Jessica's eyes were starting to be filled with tears.

 

"What if I don't go for this treatment?" Krystal managed to speak out.

 

"Then the cancer cells will continue to spread, and your lifespan..." The doctor trailed off before continuing, "it will be shortened."

 

Hearing that her sister's lifespan will be shortened, Jessica's tears immediately rolled down her cheeks. Her sister, whom she had just got close with is going to leave her any moment soon. She can't afford that to happen, she can't lose someone she love again, losing her mother was the worst already. And now the thought of losing Krystal was even worse. It was just unbearable for her.

 

The doctor stood up and left the room, giving the sisters some time to discuss. "Unnie... It's alright... Everything is gonna be alright." Krystal said as she pat Jessica's back. Jessica looked up from her hands, wet with her tears. Seeing how Krystal was trying to comfort her, she can't help it but to cry harder, but this time pulling Krystal into her arms. After about another minute of crying, Jessica pulled away and looked into Krystal's eyes.

 

"You... You have... to go for... for the treatment." Jessica said in between sobs.

 

"Unnie look, I'm fine now. I don't want to go for the treatment."

 

"Krystal, just go for the treatment! Appa and I can't afford to lose you!" Jessica exclaimed.

 

"I don't want. I really don't! I don't wanna leave this earth with no hair and no memories of anything! I want to leave this place happily! Please unnie, please..." Krystal shouted and finally broke down. "Unnie please... Please don't force me... As much as I want to spend more time with you, I can't."

 

As though seeing how Krystal was struggling between wanting to live longer and wanting to leave this world happily for any longer would kill her, Jessica ran out of the doctor's room in tears. "Unnie... I'm sorry..." Krystal said in between sobs to her sister's fading back view.


 

Jessica just ran mindlessly, not caring how people was judging her on the streets. A few gave concern looks while others just looked at her as though she was mad. "Bam!" Jessica bumped onto someone, without looking up or apologising, she just continue to run away. The guy wanted to curse at the person who bumped into him, but stopped right away after noticing who it was.

 

"Jessica?" The guy muttered to himself.


 

Meanwhile, Krystal was still in the hospital. Her tears have dried up, she is just walking around the hospital aimlessly. She didn't want to go home to break the news to her father, she didn't want to find her friends for she didn't know how to face them for now. She had basically no where to go. She had to sort her thoughts out first before deciding on where to go next. She sat down on one of the hospital park's bench, slowly she drifted into her pool of thoughts. Her tears seems to be endless, it continued to drop like a broken tap. Somehow without her knowing, someone sat down beside her and pulled her into his arms. It was her lifesaver, her listening ear, her childhood friend, her best friend, the annoying brat and lastly, her forbidden love, Kai. He soothed her down by patting her back while she continue to cry.

 

Deep in him, it hurts to see Krystal crying like this. He had never seen Krystal cried so hard before, something big must have happened. As much as he hates to force something out from someone, he knew he had to. Whatever was troubling Krystal, Kai will get to the bottom of it. He can't afford the person he love to be sad, it suffocates him, as though someone sat fire in his lungs.


 

The sky was dark when Krystal stopped crying, she cried so hard that she fell asleep peacefully in Kai's arms. Luckily the person beside her was Kai, because up till now, Krystal still didn't know that it was Kai who was sitting beside her. Kai adjusted Krystal's fringe out of her face, "She looks just like an angel." Kai thought as a smile plastered across his face. "If only I could ever know what's running through your mind whenever you see me. Do you really see me as your best friend only?" Kai questioned Krystal.

 

"No." 

 

"No?" Kai's eyes widen in shock as he looked around looking for the person who just spoke.

 

"Kai... Mianhae... I didn't mean to hurt you... I can't do this to you... My heart hurts too but this is the best for us..." Krystal trailed off.

 

Kai looked down at the girl lying peacefully in his arms, and realised that it was Krystal who spoke. She looks so adorable when she sleep talks, but... "Mianhae? Hurt you? Heart hurts? Best for us?" All these words left a big question mark in his head but he took a with a pinch of salt since Krystal was just sleep talking.


 

Looking at how Krystal isn't going to wake up anytime soon, Kai slowly lifted her head up trying to avoid waking her up and stood up. Carefully he positioned his hands at the right places and carried Krystal up bridal style before sending her home. Upon reaching her house, Kai laid Krystal in her bed and pulled her covers up for her. He planted a kiss on her forehead before stepping out of the Jung household.

 

Though Kai sort of discreetly kissed Krystal on the forehead, his action were still not able to avoid Jessica's eyes. When Kai settled Krystal down in her bedroom, Jessica was hiding behind the doors, eyeing his every move. Not that she didn't trust Kai, she was just contemplating whether she should break Krystal's news to Kai. After that talk with the man she bumped in the afternoon, she too, felt that Kai had the rights to know. Confirming how much Kai loved Krystal, Jessica was firmed in her stand.

 

She was going to tell Kai everything, whether Krystal wants it or not.